2008-09 Football Thread - The Second Half

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xUKHCx, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Much like Liverpool, Everton et al. this thread needs a new ground. Although unlike those clubs the money for this brand new ground was very forthcoming.

The stands have been built with a massive capacity of approximately 2000 (seated) to allow for us to compete in the top leagues.

cam09.jpg

Enjoy the new ground.

"The Premier League Thread"
    "2008-09 Football Thread" (part 1)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's a game of two halves, son. :)

Best of luck to everyone for this part of the season, except for Man Utd. fans. ;)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I only hope that the new place has undersoil heating, it would be terrible if the current cold weather meant we'd have to postpone posting here.

Anyway, a little something to start us off with... the transfer window opens up at midnight – which are the problem positions you'd like your team to get fresh blood in the cover, and are there any particular players you'd like to see smirking alongside your manager at a press conference, proudly holding his new shirt aloft?

Equally, are there any players at your club who are currently a waste of a squad number and you'd like to see being given the boot?

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I caught the end of something on TV about Kolo Toure leaving Arsenal. Whats that all about? :eek:

5. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Injuries Prompt Training Cancellation

Jermaine Pennant - Linoel has played well when he has come on this season but he is just a waste really and hardly ever plays
    Andrea Dossena - hasn't done anything but hasn't had long to adjust so would be a little harsh, got a fierce shot and can cross
    Andriy "The Milkman" Voronin - Not really worth keeping on the books.

In terms of players to bring in the player I would dearly love to have, Tevez, would a.) cost too much b.) will probably sign for Man Utd.

We have a decent squad that should last the season so not really much needs doing.

In terms of what the bbc suggest

Whitsel and/or Lennon would do.

You sure it wasn't Yaya leaving Barca for Arsenal? I haven't heard news of Kolo going anyway but I tend not to read too much about Arsenal.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Another striker would be nice for Liverpool, but I don't think we really need anybody at the moment...People have been complaining about Dossena and Arbeloa, but I think they are doing OK.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

A striker would be nice for Everton... :p

Well, a fit one anyway...

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

With that in mind, might I humbly propose that the thread be renamed 2008-09 Football Thread – The Second Half or something similar? It would be nice to keep the football theme going. ;)

I reckon we ought to go looking for another quality central defender, along with a creative midfield playmaker. While Ashbee is a good ballwinner, I think we need someone alongside him who can feed the ball forward to Geo and the strikers effectively. Marney can fulfil this role if he's having a good day, but if we're able to find a suitable, quality player who's available this January then I reckon we should make a move.

A natural left back would also be a prudent purchase – with Dawson injured we've looked a little exposed in that area. Ricketts can play there (and it's where he generally features for Wales) but I'd rather see him at right back where he's best suited.

It goes without saying that we should finally make Zayette's transfer permanent – I know there's an agreement in place that he's ours for a set fee, but let's get it all official and proper.

As for those on their way out... I think that if anyone comes in for Wayne Brown or John Welsh we should let them move on – Ryan France too unfortunately. It might also be an idea to get a few of the youngsters like Nicky Featherstone out on loan to get them some playing time under their belts.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I'm more worried about who my team, Wigan, may lose. If the rumors are to be believed Heskey and Valencia may go. Hopefully not, since we have had a good first half of the season and would like to avoid another relegation dogfight.

I also hope that they can sign Zaki to a permanent deal.

10. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

;) I'll the 'the" for you if you want. :p

I heard Aston Villa were interested :p

The rumours about Hesky to Liverpool are silly imo. With his recent injury I think he will definitely stay.

The £16m I heard for Valencia, I would happily pack his bags for that and drop him off. Could take that money and strength the squad as a whole. Zaki will be difficult to hold on, his loan move to Wigan was just a way to show him off to the bigger clubs.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Nope. Definitely Kolo. I have found this.

12. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I hope that Fulham will be able to keep Hangeland. They don't have any cover for him ( I don't rate Chris Baird at all). They could also use another striker. Johnson and Zamora's workrate is excellent, and they will run all day, but they only have 5 goals between them. Whether Bullard goes or not, they need some more depth in central midfield.

13. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

How do you fancy your chances against Wednesday ?

14. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Bentiez has had a long talk with Gerrard and given him his full support. This would lead me to think that his involvment (if any) wasn't as the main offender as it where.

Kolo has apparently handed in a transfer request but it was reject. Gallas for AC

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4728606,00.html

Fulham are working well as a team. Yes their players aren't top draw but as a team they are playing above their collective skill level. Bringing in new players might upset this. I would replace Johnson, he is just ineffective.

15. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I heard someone bring up an interesting point in a podcast (I forgot which one), that with the Premier League so tight, how many of the top flight teams are going to take the FA Cup seriously this year.

As to the Wednesday v Fulham match, I have no idea. I haven't seen SW play at all and I don't know if Fulham will field their first team, or give a run out to some other players who haven't played much at all.

16. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

lol. i bet your chances are very good either way. poor little wednesday... :(

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... apparently we're looking at the boy Pennant now. I'm undecided on this if true, but it's nice to see we're off for the same transfer targets as Real Madrid.

18. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

He isn't a bad player as it where. I have seen him this season on one of the odd occasions he played and he reminded me of why we bought him. And even if we sell him for less than what he is worth then it would be all worth it for this goal against Chelsea, Lionel wonder goal.

Looks like Wayne Bridge is moving from Chelsea to Man City. He is wasted at Chelsea and needs first team runouts. Something he is just not going to get. Good move for him.

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Might I ask - why has he acquired the nickname Lionel? He doesn't look owt like Geoffrey Palmer's character from pensioner-pleasing sit com As Time Goes By, so I'm guessing that's got nothing to do with it?

20. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

To be honest I have no idea ;):D

Attached Files:

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Judging by the title on the picture on the right, I assume that's a picture of Pennant just after he was released from the clink? ;)

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, at least Gerrard has a teammate who can tell him what to expect when he goes to jail...

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed. If we get him though, he would of course form a formidable duo with our other former jailbird Marlon King...

24. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Rumours abound Delph is off to Scum for £6 million, plus a couple of players on loan. The £6mil could rise to up to £10mil based on performance/trophy bonuses.

Although he is our brightest prospect by a mile, and at times best player, if we do sell him then the millions can be put toward purchasing Thorpe Arch (training ground/academy facility) out-right from the lease deal we have, and strengthening the squad in other areas. We are crying out for a new goalkeeper and a commanding centre half. Then again, since Grayson came in both keeper and defence has looked alot stronger.

Hopefully another win against Hereford on Saturday to continue the rejuvenation after Macca left.

To the Championship!

25. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Out of interest smwatson, what do you think about Grayson's appointment? He seemed a decent enough manager to me during his time at Blackpool - and he's a former Leeds player of course, albeit with only a handful of appearances...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.