2008 2.8 Mac Pro in the UK

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kinnyboy, Mar 18, 2009.

1. kinnyboy macrumors newbie

After a head spinning read of reviews, benchmarks and opinions over the 09 models ive decided to try and get an 08 dual 2.8. Lost among the deluge of posts I recall someone posting a link to a site in the uk which has some in stock but i'll be darned if I can find it and a search basically entailed me reading every thread again. Any help would be most gratefully received.

I've also noticed a distinct lack of ANY Mac Pros on the uk refurb store. Is this because there simply isnt any or are they just holding them back to force us into getting the 09s???

thanks

2. unid macrumors regular

3. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

refurb mac pros 2.8, & 3.2 octos sellout fast. there was about 3-6 3.2octos on the uk refurb site 1-2 weeks ago. all gone. some might spring up, but u gotta keep watch

4. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

He is looking for the 08 model 2.8!

Macwarehouse did have some just a week ago, I know as I have one under my desk now but it was obvious people were buying quickly as they sold over 10 in one day.

5. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

how much did you pay if u dont mind me asking :D

6. markthecamera macrumors newbie

Apple stores in London had them in stock last week for £1279! Speek to bissness team at Regent St or Brent X or any of the other shops

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

what the 2.8 octos? No way. WAY too cheap. Unless they were the Quad 2.66s

8. markthecamera macrumors newbie

Yes true, including VAT - 2.8 octos with free div in the M25 - I was mad not to buy one, but my brother who is big in IT told me never to buy old tec what ever the price?:(

9. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

with "free div in the M25" ? Eh? were they selling them on the M25 out of the back of a truck? :D

maybe they were for the 2.8 Quad (not the 8 core).

if you're right, they were dead cheap. and you should have bought it. still a good machine and close to the new MPs depending on apps used

10. markthecamera macrumors newbie

Yep 8 core, give them a ring, you never know your luck.

11. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

who. apple? they list EVERYTHING on their site, I've asked before

12. markthecamera macrumors newbie

Apple store Regent Street 020 7153 9000 Bissiness Team or any other Apple Retail High St Shop.

Free div WITHIN M;)25

13. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

I paid the princely sum of £1189 + VAT which ill claim back.

14. PowerPaw macrumors member

Harpertown is dead, long live Nehalem :(

Now is the time to change your mind set to I don't do legacy technology unless you want to pick one of these up on eBay... good luck!

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

In general, many would agree with this, including myself.

Ultimately however, it depends on need, and budgets. The price/performance of the '09 MP's isn't that wonderful, so the "older" Harpertowns may suit you quite well.

It always comes down to specifics. ;) :p

16. kinnyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Aww man for that sort of money I MUST find one!

Found a store with the 3.2 for around £2500 but would prefer the 2.8

17. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

I picked up a Mac Pro 2.8 octo from the Bristol Apple store for £1343 inc VAT the other day, just try different stores they all have different stock.

Good luck with the search!

18. myca macrumors 6502

Jeez, wish I could find one, I saw some on the cancom website, but they were going for the previous retail price, some swine on ebay is selling a new one for £1899 :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=150327732419&Category=4607

Cheeky monkey!

If I can't find one pretty soon I'm ordering my parts for a hackintosh.

19. kinnyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I managed to find one!!! Got a 2.8 octo base config for £1190 once I get the VAT off. With the 3.2s going for £2400 I think ive got a real bargain. Just need to order RAM and another internal drive. So pleased with my find as I wasnt happy with the bang per buck of the Nehalems and will gladly make do with the 2.8 for a couple of years.

20. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

What was the price inc VAT? I had a really hard time getting mine for the price I did, how were you able to get that price and where from?

Congrats on the new machine btw :D and enjoy it, they are great. I ordered a new HDD from amazon (WD) and got 4gb of memory from Crucial.

21. MADMAXX macrumors member

22. kinnyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

It was about £1320 or so with VAT (also had wireless card fitted). Could only get stock graphics card though. Im wondering how much I could pick up a 8800GT for now! Going to stick some crucial ram in as well. What hard drive did you go for from Amazon?

Managed to get the system itself from an Apple store via business discount.

23. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Bristol installed the airport card and 8800GT for me when I purchased it. although funnily enough it has only been hardwired. The 8800GT was £160 before discount (15% if I remember correctly).

Were they willing to give you business discount? I got university discount off the end of line price, but that was only because I had been quoted that over the phone, when I got to the store I was told they cant do that. The manager however apologised and gave me the discount anyway.

The drive I purchased from amazon was the Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb for £55 delivered. Although I only have 100GB free now, Im regretting not buying the Western Digital Caviar black 1TB. The original 320GB drive is now being used for windows.

24. kinnyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah got the business discount on top of the EOL discount. They didnt have the 8800GT in stock so I had to go without. Ordered 4 gig from Crucial and the 1TB black caviar from Amazon. Will probably follow you in putting the 1TB as main drive. Very happy overall.