2008 MBP not turning on anymore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by magiic, May 31, 2010.

1. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

My 15" MBP purchased in August of 2008 does not want to power on anymore. I went to fire it up today for the first time in a week or two and it does not do anything when the power button is pushed. The charger is plugged in and it has the green light. Pushing the battery test button yields no response at all. Any thoughts on troubleshooting or how to proceed from here?

Contributions are greatly appreciated!

2. funwithamar macrumors regular

try holding down the power button for a few seconds until it turns on
    :confused:

3. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

4. funwithamar macrumors regular

5. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

6. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

I tried holding the power button for an extended period of time. I also tried resetting the SMC with no luck. The laptop has also been plugged in now for a few hours so if the battery was just really dead it would be charged now, although the magsafe indicator is just showing solid green the whole time. Any other thoughts or am I SOL?

7. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

This happened to me last week. When you press the power button, does the hard drive spin up and then after a few seconds everything shuts off again? For me it felt like I was trying to throttle the car because the computer would start booting for a few seconds, but then power would cut off again. In any case, it seems the graphics card or some other part of the logic board is dead.

8. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

It doesn't make any noise at all. Nothing happens when you push the power button.

9. neenja macrumors 6502

any chance you can borrow another battery and see if it boots with it?

i had a similar issue, turned out my power adapter was bad. even had the green light but for some reason it just didnt charge.

took it into the apple store and they gave me a new power adapter.

10. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

No other battery I can test but I think I can get ahold of another charger. I wish I had an Apple store to take my laptop into. Is it worth calling Apple even if I am out of warranty?

11. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I would say so. They might surprise you and if you're lucky, it might be under warranty if it's a graphics card problem http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377.

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

Mine did the exact same thing. It was a logic board problem.

13. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

I'll give Apple a call today and see what they have to say/can do for me

14. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

keep us posted so those who run into this same issue will know what to do!

15. HBOC macrumors 68020

Do you have an external monitor that you can try to plug this into? Right after i bought my Peryn 2008 MBP, the logicboard went out. It would power up, but nothing on the screen. Even the white light that works like a beacon on a light house didn't power on.

You don't have AC?

16. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

I do have an external monitor however the macbook is too silent too be on and just not displaying anything. I will give it a shot though. I don't have Apple Care. The general consensus on here when I bought the laptop was that I need not bother with Apple Care and that extended warranties were a waste of money.

17. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

That sounds very much like a logic board problem linked with a faulty graphics chipset! Happened to me. Post check colonel blink-blink. Sorry to hear you dont have apple care. Dont know who gave you that advice but anyone who has a mac swears by the extended warranty and service !

18. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

The majority said it wasn't worth it in Canada as the support for Apple Care was spotty at best up north.

19. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

Further fiddling has me thinking it might be my charging cord. I have tried it with and without the extension. It shows green light in both cases. I found a friend with the same model and tried his battery and the computer fired up just fine. I tried running my laptop without the battery but plugged in and nothing happens. I am going to try a different charger cord tomorrow and see what that yields. At least I know my MBP itself is fine.

20. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    aah so!
    problem solved.
    well done grasshopper :D

21. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

Applecare "spotty". Are you talking about one of the genius nerds in the apple store:) I live in Ireland. We have one apple store. If anything I would call that spotty. But the massive land mass that is Canada and neighbours the U.S SURELY NOT ! Applecare is what it is wether your in timbuktoo or waterloo!

22. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

Sounds like Canada has twice has twice as many Apple Stores as Ireland. The closest Apple Store to me is about a 2 hour drive and a 90 minute ferry ride. The next closest is at least a five hour plane ride.

23. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

24. HBOC macrumors 68020

You can call them and they will send out a box so you can send it.