2009/10 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by echeck, Apr 25, 2009.

1. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

The Preseason Coaches Poll has been released.

[​IMG]

I hope MacDawg doesn't mind me starting this thread without him, but I really wanted to talk a bit about Spring practice. So I thought now was a good time to start a new thread for this year!

So does anyone have any good stories about their Spring Practices? My Boise State Broncos were really focusing on trying to get an established offensive line so as to help us get our running game back that was very obviously lacking last season.

The other bit of good news for us is that it looks like Titus Young (WR) will be back this season. He was suspended for all but one, or maybe two games last year. It's great to have him back because he's really fast. Easily the fastest guy on the team. He can create some great separation in streak routes.

All in all I think our Spring was pretty good, but the part that gets me REALLY excited is that we only have TWO starting seniors! Can you believe that?? The next few years are going to be awesome on the Blue! :D

Oh, and it looks like Stafford is for sure going #1 tomorrow. Not that anyone really expected anything different, but he's already agreed to a six year $72 million dollar deal with the Lions, and $41.7 million is guaranteed!

I'm hoping Boise State's Ian Johnson goes in the first round, but I'm anticipating he'll go in the second. ESPN will be following him around a bit tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that.

Anyone else have any high hopes for ex-players tomorrow?

...I can't believe we still have over four more months!

:D

2. Ripcurlsurfin96 macrumors member

LETS GO PIRATES!!! ECU has gotten Patrick Pinkney back for a 5th season since he was injured for a good portion of one year so NCAA granted him a 5th year. Hope for another great season minus the bad bowl game performance :p

Graduating this year....I wonder if they allow alumni in the student section haha

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Wow...and it's still April. Wake me when something interesting happens :):)

4. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Hey, it's draft day! That's interesting!

Anyone following it?

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Interesting if you follow the NFL, I guess. *shrug* Sounds more like an "NFL Football Thread."

6. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Hmm.. Remind me again where the NFL players come from... ;)

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Dude, they go to the NFL and they don't come back. It isn't College Football anymore. It's the NFL. I don't watch, follow, or care about the NFL. If you do, enjoy - but to me, the NFL draft is not a College Football subject.

Don't worry, I'll be back.

8. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Hey again everyone!

Has anyone caught Pat Forde's article over at ESPN.com?

Go check out the article and then vote for your top 40 teams!

It will be interesting which "big" schools don't make the cut tomorrow, and which "little" ones do.

9. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I love having Pete Carroll's picture on those articles :cool:

Seriously though, I like this idea. Relegation like the premiership seems like a great idea. The problem with this setp-up, however, is that the complaints are going to be exactly the same. A couple of the 10-team conferences will be perceived as better than the others and teams will have to be advanced/kicked out based on those perceptions. Right?

USC players to watch: Joe McKnight, Taylor Mays, Chris Galippo (line-backer)

USC stories to watch: Will Aaron Corp keep the starting job he earned during the offseason? Inside rumors peg number 1 recruit Matt Barkley as possible starter...

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Another year....Another slew of "can't miss teams" that miss and "can't win teams" that can win.

The joys of pre-season confidence

11. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

The Preseason Coaches Poll has been released.

I don't think anyone can really disagree with Florida at #1, but I was surprised to see Texas ahead of Oklahoma.

I'm happy to see Boise State at the top of the non-AQ schools, and especially being above TCU (grumble-grumble). ;)

I just hope Boise State jumps more than one or two spots after they destroy Oregon on September 3rd. :D

12. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to this year (I am a Michigan fan :eek:). I used to think losing 4 games was a really bad season.

Well, for what it's worth: Go Blue!

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Well, we *did* beat those friggin' Sooners last season. ;) But really, I think preseason rankings are pretty lame to begin with.

14. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

I know, and I was behind Texas the whole way. You should have never been left out of the Big 12 Title Game. I was surprised because Texas should have been ranked #2, but I didn't expect them to be. Heh.

This I completely agree with. But, it still gives us something to talk about. ;)

15. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I tend to support Texas, but I think Utah deserve a much higher ranking, possibly higher than Texas. Also, I think Iowa might surprise people this year.

(I just saw the date of the op...)

16. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Hey, hey, hey! Utah's on the map (but behind TCU and Boise St. No offence evilgEEk, but WTF?) this season. Utah's third game is against the Oregon Ducks and I'm seriously thinking about traveling out there to see the game.

However, one of the games I am most excited to watch is - and it pains me a bit to say it, as a Ute fan - the BYU vs Oklahoma game on the 5th of September. I have my doubts that BYU will be able to pull it off, but that would be an upset for the ages if it happened. If BYU beats those Sooners it would seriously screw up the BCS polls and I am in full support of that.

Anyway, I hope my Utes fair pretty well this season. We've lost quite a few good players, but we've gained some excellent, albeit inexperienced, new ones.

Only a few more weeks before the best time of the year begins...

P-Worm

17. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, and the Sooners have to replace four starters on the O-line. I think Bradford's going to be getting his jersey dirty this year. I also find preseason polls stupid. They can be a huge block on teams moving up to the top. This is similar to what happened to Auburn in 2004. They started very low in the preseason rankings, and never could break into a high enough ranking to make the BCS championship, despite being undefeated in the SEC. I think polls shouldn't be released until 3-4 weeks in, and maybe even longer thanks to the creampuff schedules many big name programs have.

Oh yeah, I can't believe the Big 12 decided to keep that silly tiebreaker rule that screwed over the Horns last year.

18. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Isn't Bradford gone now? Maybe I'm mistaken...

P-Worm

19. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Nah - the caveman is still around. ;)

Attached Files:

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Nah, he decided to come back for this season. The scary part is he is still only a junior. I still think he will have some problems this year due to the offensive line.

21. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

The only reason is the guys you lost to graduation. We are still a really young team, and only lost a couple starters. Our defense is going to be really strong again this year with Safety Kyle Wilson back for his senior year. There's already been talk of him going high up in the first round next draft, I just hope he has another stellar year because he's an awesome guy on and off the field and really deserves it.

I'm really excited for that game too, although the logic in me doesn't give BYU a chance against the Sooners. It all depends on BYU's mindset. When they have their heads in the right place they play extremely well. They just lose confidence way too easily.

And I'm all for the BCS polls being screwed up. ;)

I think there should be no polls released until the BCS polls in week...8?

I also don't think the Coaches Poll should have ANY weight in the BCS rankings. There are SOOO many ridiculously biased coaches out there that it just makes a further mockery of the BCS rankings.

22. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

BYU losing confidence is an understatement. There was a statistic in my local paper this morning that said that BYU's track record against ranked teams is something like 3-11. Ouch. Still, I'll be watching and cheering them on the best I can.

P-Worm

23. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

An interesting quote that's made a small stir from Colorado State's Coach Fairchild:

Twitter twitter twitter

P-Worm

24. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm ready for this season. I already have tickets to the Michigan vs. Western Michigan game on September 5th!!!

I have a feeling that Michigan will make a big come back this year (I'm probably dreaming).