Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
You can guess who I'm rooting for...

Got my season tickets in the mail today. Looking forward to a great season and Saturdays full of football. My group of friends tailgates pretty much all day before games in Austin- nothing like waking up in the morning, making some breakfast tacos and drinking a cold beer.

\m/

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
You can guess who I'm rooting for...

Got my season tickets in the mail today. Looking forward to a great season and Saturdays full of football. My group of friends tailgates pretty much all day before games in Austin- nothing like waking up in the morning, making some breakfast tacos and drinking a cold beer.

I'm jealous! Hook'em!

echeck

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I just saw this as a poll on ESPN.com and wanted to see what everyone here thinks...

The question is what do you think of college football teams being encouraged to shake hands prior to football games? Is it childish or does it show good sportsmanship?

I am absolutely blown away by the fact that 42% of voters on ESPN.com consider this childish. How is shaking hands childish?? I think it shows great sportsmanship. There's nothing wrong with being civil to each other and then pounding the crap out of them on the field. ;)

It's like boxers bumping gloves before the fight.

So what do y'all think?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
but Colt? He's the best passer in UT history

How long have you been watching UT football? Just because a guy has a high QB rating and completion percentage doesn't mean he's the best.

The bottom line is, when Colt throws the ball downfield, it gets intercepted. To their credit, Greg Davis and Mack Brown realized this after the '07 season and changed the offense to better suit him. Just as they did in '04 when they took the complexity out of the offense and just let Vince Young run a simple zone-read scheme to back-to-back BCS wins and a national championship.

The problem for UT is, Colt McCoy is no Vince Young. Good defenses (not that there are many in the Big 12) can take away the short pass a lot easier than they can take away talent like Young had.

McCoy will not have a national title like Young did, but they will have one thing in common: they will both be HUGE busts in the NFL. Young is already well on his way. McCoy will join him shortly.

I just saw this as a poll on ESPN.com and wanted to see what everyone here thinks...

The question is what do you think of college football teams being encouraged to shake hands prior to football games? Is it childish or does it show good sportsmanship?

I think they should shake hands after the game (like in hockey), not before.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

Before the game? No. I'd rather not see that. I don't necessarily think it's childish, but I think that, for me as a viewer, it would take away some of the excitement of what's about to happen.

After the game, I'm all for it.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
How long have you been watching UT football? Just because a guy has a high QB rating and completion percentage doesn't mean he's the best.

LOL - okay man. I dunno if Colt slept with your girlfriend or something, but it's obvious at this point that you're just trolling. Who is your team again? Lemme guess - Florida! Whoever is number one in the standings, right? Heh. :rolleyes:

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Not trolling, I just hate it when people with no perspective spout off ignorant statements based on the loosest possible interpretation of fact.

Major Applewhite was a much, much better passer than Colt is. Chris Simms was a better passer. Peter Gardere was a better passer. Hell, I'd even throw in James Brown as a better passer.

All of those QBs operated NFL-style, downfield passing games and had lots of success.

McCoy, on the other hand, threw downfield a lot in 2007 and turned the ball over a ridiculous number of times. Brown and Davis wisely changed the offense and allowed Colt to blossom as a QB, but certainly not as a passer. All he does now is throw 2-5 yards downfield or screens/slip-screens in the backfield. Is he a better QB now? Without question. Is he the "best passer in UT history" now? Laughably, no.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I do too but in this instance, maybe you just don't like it when people don't agree with your point of view on this subject?

That is certainly possible, but dmr727 hasn't offered any counterpoint, other than to call me a troll. Refute my claims with legitimate, factual information and I will tip my cap to you.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I think the jury may still be out on Colt McCoy. In 2006, he had 68% completion rate, 2570 yards, 8.08 yards/attempt ratio, and a 29/7 TD/INT ration. He did have a bad year in 2007, with 3303 yards, 65% completion, 7.79 Yards/attempt, and 22/18 TD/INT ratio. Last year, he had 3859 yards, 76.7% completion, 8.91 yards/attempt, and 34/8 TD/INT.

With his yards/attempt actually going up, this tends to indicate some longer passes, but these numbers don't take into account YAC (Yards After Catch) yards that receivers pick up. His completion percentage going through the roof would back up what Ignatius said. It is very difficult to get that kind of completion percentage without lots of short, controlled passes. For comparison, Sam Bradford had 4720 yards, 67.9% completion, 50(!)/8 TD/INT, and 9.8 yards/attempt. Bradford had almost 900 more yards on only 50 more attempts, and a full yard more per attempt, along with a lower completion percentage. Chase Daniel had similar numbers, with a 73% completion percentage, and an 8.2 yard/attempt average.

So, it does look like something big changed at UT from 2007 to 2008. I suspect it was a shift toward shorter, more controlled passes and letting receivers to more of the work after the catch. Of course, this is not to take anything away from McCoy. I'm sure the huge improvements weren't totally from the change in scheme.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
legitimate, factual information

He's SOO dreamy!!

You may now proceed with the tipping.

;)

Shaking afterwards already happens, although obviously it's not in any particular order. Personally I don't feel it wouldn't take anything away from the game, but I can see your point.

Interesting. I guess we'll see how this all plays out.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
The AP poll has been released and my Utes sit at 19. Sure to go higher as the season progresses, of course. :cool:

AP poll

Football starts this next week! Get excited people! My Utes play Utah State this Thursday...

P-Worm

Attachments

• APPoll.jpg
    APPoll.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 80

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
So, it does look like something big changed at UT from 2007 to 2008. I suspect it was a shift toward shorter, more controlled passes and letting receivers to more of the work after the catch. Of course, this is not to take anything away from McCoy. I'm sure the huge improvements weren't totally from the change in scheme.

The scheme definitely changed. I think it also took him some time to shake off his 2006 injury at KSU. But it's hard to argue with the guy's results - especially given we haven't had a legitimate running game in years. ;) I'm more concerned about our defense, personally. It'll be an interesting season, that's for sure. About the only thing everyone seems to agree on is Florida. It's hard to argue with that.

Football starts this next week! Get excited people! My Utes play Utah State this Thursday...

You're gonna have to wait just a *little* longer. I think it all starts on the 3rd, which is the following Thursday. I'm certainly pumped, though! This is my favorite time of year.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
You're gonna have to wait just a *little* longer. I think it all starts on the 3rd, which is the following Thursday. I'm certainly pumped, though! This is my favorite time of year.

Haha. I just realized I got my dates mixed up. Classes start this week and I had it in my mind that football started with it. :p

P-Worm

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
USC is number 4 in both polls. That's a pretty generous ranking considering we don't really know who is going to start at QB yet, but as usual we have the necessary talent.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Haha. I just realized I got my dates mixed up. Classes start this week and I had it in my mind that football started with it. :p

Believe me - I *wish* it'd start this coming Thursday! I'm trying my best to wet my football whistle with preseason NFL, but it's just so hard for me to enjoy pro ball.

USC is number 4 in both polls. That's a pretty generous ranking considering we don't really know who is going to start at QB yet, but as usual we have the necessary talent.

Do you think you'll lose much on defense this season? They were crazy good last year.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Believe me - I *wish* it'd start this coming Thursday! I'm trying my best to wet my football whistle with preseason NFL, but it's just so hard for me to enjoy pro ball.

You're telling me. College football season is my favorite time of the year and I look forward to anxiously awaiting every Saturday. I, too, don't care for pro ball (it doesn't have the same passion that college does) and usually only watch the superbowl.

Why can't it be the 3rd already?

P-Worm

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
College football season is my favorite time of the year and I look forward to anxiously awaiting every Saturday. I, too, don't care for pro ball (it doesn't have the same passion that college does) and usually only watch the superbowl.

You and me both - except that I don't even watch the Super Bowl. I think the last one I saw was the Rams and the Titans, or something like that.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

That gif me think of the Texas Tech Vs Texas last year. Oh that was a good game but Texas deserved their loss after how poor they played the first 1/2.

As for this year I want to know who Texas Tech is going to ruin for there run this year in the big 12 south. I have little hope of my school doing great things losing a good part of there talent and then there key receiver is injured right now.

At least they have another good 3 years starting quater back lined up. He will be red shirted this year, back up next year and take over for 3 years after that.

I am with you on the pro ball. I just do not care for pro football. I will watch college football and there I really only care about one team and that being Texas Tech.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I LOVE this time of year!! I can't believe it's almost here!!

*jumps around like an 8 year old on Christmas Eve*

September 3rd is going to be such an awesome day! I've had the day off for about four months. Heh. It's gonna be a late day though. I can't believe the game isn't until 8:15pm MST. Oh well, it'll give us PLENTY of time to tailgate before the game. :)

How crazy would it be for Oregon to take the PAC-10 after Boise State wipes the turf with them on the Blue.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.