2009/2010 Jetta or Civic Coupe?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Jul 20, 2009.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Currently living in Japan, but next year I will be going home to America for grad school and I'm already eyeing cars.

Having my first new car in Japan, I'm spoiled on new cars now and during grad school I do NOT want to worry about anything. I love BMWs, as I've had two, and I could get a pretty nice Z4 when I come back, but it would be on the tail end of the warranty, and that's not a good thing with a German car. There are a lot of nice cars I could get in the low-$20k range, but I've decided new is the way to go at this stage of my life--I simply want something with a full warranty, zero miles, and no headaches for my daily driver.

I'm looking at cars in the low-$20k range and the two I like the most I think are the Civic EX-L Coupe or the Jette SE.

Civic Coupe EX-L ($22,745 optioned as I would like)

Pros:

--Reliable
    --Leather Seats
    --Coupe
    --Better gas mileage

Cons:

--140 hp 4-banger
    -Mildly Ugly

Jetta SE ($22,497 optioned as I would like)

Pros:

--Maybe a little classier
    --iPod hardwire available from the factory
    --170 hp 5-banger (pro?? lol)

Cons:

--No leather seats
    --4 doors
    --Poor man's BMW (I've had two real BMWs...)
    --Worse gas mileage
    --Less reliable, at least long-term

Right now I'm leaning towards the Civic as the list of pros and cons shows. A Honda Accord Coupe would be nice but it's just a tad more than I want to/need to spend. I'm hoping I could get either of these for a flat $20k out-the-door depending how desperate car dealers are given the economy.

I also considered an Altima Coupe but considering I love the 350/370Z I'd rather just get a used one of those so the Altima Coupe is out, and the Altima sedan is out since I'd rather get the coupe if I was getting an Altima. Also looked at a Mazda or two but Mazdas don't really do it for me to be honest.

I should also say whatever car will remain bone-stock. No I won't chip it, no I won't throw rims and bodykits at it, nothing except window tint. I've already got a weekend toy of the RWD American V8 variety and am looking to buy this as a daily driver.

I'm curious which you would choose and why, or if anyone has any first-hand experience/impressions of either car. Thanks.

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

civic. better milage, more stuff. more reliable.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If you enjoy driving German cars, I recon the Jetta will be more fun to drive than the Civic.

4. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Honda all the way IMO. :)

Important thing to note is that the Civic has a MUCH higher resale value; not a big deal to some but in the current economic climate you can never be too sure with your investments. GL!

5. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Tough choice. In all honesty, although the Jetta is a very nice car, I would have to go for the civic as just a daily driver. They have great reliability and you get the better gas mileage. I would be so tempted for that Jetta though.

6. snorkelgirl macrumors newbie

how do you post a question

how do you post a question

7. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

everyone i have know with recent VW's have had a plethora of problems.
    i have a Civic. and has 120,000 on it and runs perfectly.;)

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If you're talking about reliability, there's no question here - Civic. And if it helps: Civics not only have ipod interface (any usb, actually) available, it's standard.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Recent as in when? My understanding is that the current generation of different VWs is finally back in the "average" category. Honda still has higher reliability.

I am looking into getting my next car. In the running are the Mazda 3, Civic Sedan, and Jetta. Looks like the Jetta is where I am going.

10. Ann P macrumors 68020

Civic Coupe ;). I bought a coupe back in 2007 and never had to worry about a thing. I also recommend the Scion TC as that was my second choice.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I just noticed that it is a sedan vs. coupe as well.

Won't the two really give you different driving experiences?

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Out of the two, I'd pick the Civic. It's a decidedly unemotional and non-evocative car, which is a bad thing in my book.

If given the chance to add another to the list for similar price I'd go wtih a VW Golf. They look fantastic and they're extremely useful with the space and all. Just my opinion :)

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yupp.
    My dad's friend said to my dad that he'll sell his BMW (I forgot which model), but it's like an '03. Everything works fine. He'll sell it to my dad for like $8,000. My dad was like No Thanks. I told him to buy it for me (I'm getting my permit in September), and he's like No, you have a perfectly good Honda Civic at home. Plus, you won't be able to afford the costs of repairs on the BMW.

Bottom Line, European cars are expensive to maintain.

The Civic I'll get has about 100,000 miles on it. We're the only owners (my parents) of the car. My dad bought it brand new in 02 for $16,000 about.

14. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I'd never buy a Honda over a VW. I'm one of the rare Americans who hasn't been brainwashed into thinking that Japan makes the best cars in human civilized history.

There's plenty of good cars out there. Honda's are nothing more than a frame, an engine, and some doors. No thought or feeling goes into them things.

Plus, German cars are much more fun to drive, and oh so much more nicer on the inside.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

If it's ultimate reliability you're after, get the Civic.

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Porsche's are rock solid. They run forever.

Also, Ford has dramatically improved. Their cars are very reliable now.

Completely agree. VW will have a warranty and a couple repairs more than a Civic is worth it in my book. I like cars that drive well, not just that get me from A to B.

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

What I want to know is how a grad student is going to be able to pay for a $20,000 car. Am I right in assuming you're not right out of undergrad?

18. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Look at the reliability records. Honda does make a more reliable car. I know of 3 people that have the newer style jetta's and I swear they have the car in the shop more often than out. It is a good looking car though. I'm biased as well. I had an 03 civic ex coupe I bought new and it saved my life twice (deer at 70mph on the highway and rear ended while stopped by someone going 55). I went with the Honda family again when I replaced the Civic and upgraded to a new Accord Coupe, ex-l.

To the OP, I like my accord coupe and with the economy you may be able to get what I got (28k sticker) for the high side of what you want to pay.

19. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Agree on this one. It took my wife several years to believe me on this one. She ended up with Audi because the BMW seats were too long for her (she's very petite) and hasn't looked back.

FWIW, if mpg is important to you, keep an eye out for the Jetta diesel...I'm pretty sure that VW is offering one again (might be just the Jetta wagon?). Naturally, a diesel won't be the peaky high revs like the typically "square" gasoline motors that BMW classically uses, but a lot more torque (even more than the old VW "stroker" motors).

-hh

20. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The Jetta TDI baby! :D

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

so why would you pick it? :confused:

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I guess I didn't make much sense when I put in that sentence without explaining it! I meant I'd pick the Civic even though it's an unemotional car because I don't like the Jetta's looks or image. However, if given the choice between the Civic and a car like the Golf (or rabbit, whatever they call them these days), I'd go wtih the VW.

23. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Er, do a little research on the first-generation Boxster, then tell me that Porsche makes "rock solid" cars. Very nice, and for high-performance cars, they are very reliable, BUT...

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

First generation Boxster...

And besides, old Boxster's dont count. Look at the current Carreras. The reliability is very good.

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If you like strange electrical glitches that can never be fixed, get the VW.