2009 Chevy Corvette ZR1

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quagmire, Dec 20, 2007.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I am sure the car people have heard about this car. This ultra Corvette nicknamed "Blue Devil". Well it is finally here. The 2009 Chevy Corvette ZR1 has been unveiled for the internets eyes( official showing at the Detroit Auto Show). It features a supercharged 6.2 V8( just like the LS3 in the regular 'Vette) named the LS9. It produces 620 HP and 595 lb of torque( for the ricers here, that is 100 HP/L :p ). It features carbon fiber up the wazoo to reduce weight and ceramic brakes for superior stopping power. It should top out at over 200 MPH and has specially engineered tires to keep that power in check. It has GM's magnetic ride control as well.

I like the design, except for the hood window. What is the point of it when a plastic engine cover is covering up the beautiful beast?

[​IMG]

More Info here

2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

OMG!

Me want!:(:(:(:(

But that plastic square on the hood is a major turnoff.

3. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

That's the engine cover. That would be the first mod I would do to this vehicle. Remove the engine cover so I can see the engine. :)

4. silbeej macrumors 6502a

IT is finally here. I really hope chevy can do it, in terms of making something good come from the US in terms of cars, cuz we are terribly far behind. I've got a standard c6 in the garage and it is nothing like a 911 turbo that i took a ride in. Plastic everywhere and ride is bad and so on. If we can get a rise out of Jeremy Clarkson and teh Top Gear crew, then we will have something up our sleeves.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Bring back the flip headlights. I agree the hood looks terrible.

Is it me or does the grill look like a Pontiac.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

That's NOICE!

I will be driving a Corvette...............Someday ;)

8. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

It's about time Chevrolet brought back the "King of the Hill" Corvette. This is the Corvette than competes with Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini and pounds them into the ground. The Z06 was a damn good car, but this one is 3x better! The best part: the $100,000 price tag. Ha, try configuring a new 911 Turbo for that kind of money! :D

9. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

For the pushrod fans, my little 2 liter 4 banger makes over 225hp/liter. :cool: I grew up around Vettes, the new C6 is nice but for $100k+ I'd take a nice 67 big block any day.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Should be a chipped versions offering 650-750hp the day after it hits the street. :p

But even stock, it should put chevy back on top and steal the limelight back that they lost recently to the Ford GT.

Edit: I'm sure as hell was happy to see the ZR-1 badge back yesterday when I saw this at dinner time, that SS badge they were talking about awhile back for the Supercharged Vette sort of left that bile taste in my mouth.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

GOD NO! They're dead, and good-****ing-riddance.

At least I can be glad that Subaru doesn't put any plastic crap to hide their engines. Well, maybe some plastic manifolds...
    EVO? WRX? That's all I can think of.

Anyways, how long until the new Chrysler boys bump up the Viper again?

12. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The biggest question is: will it be able to go around corners? :rolleyes::D

13. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

The Corvette will never truly compete in my mind. Sure, you'll get similar horsepower, torque, etc numbers, but there are very few Corvettes that look as good as Ferraris and Porsches (IMO, I understand many people will disagree with me). As for price, who really cares, when you're looking to drop 100k plus on a car that's the last thing you should be worrying about. Should be interesting, I hear Ferrari has had a Dino prototype out that is supposed to be lower end to compete with the 911 Turbo and others lower ended offerings. From what I've seen it's not my favorite Ferrari, but I definetly think it's better looking than a Corvette.

14. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

Lmfao can it go around corners, this thing was made for corners dude. It ways 3300lbs give or take a couple pounds which isn't super light but it isn't a pig either and has carbon brakes ( the same ones used by the Bugatti Veyron.) which are not found on cars that cost 100k. Although I still a bit disapointed by this car, it looks a bit rice to me (hood) and the weight was not what I was hoping for but nevertheless great car!

Another great car is the new Nissan GTR, V6 3.8lt Twin Turbo and AWD. The cars got 480hp but weighs in at approximately 3850lbs. It still is able to do 0-60 in 3.3 seconds which is crazy for a car that cost around 70k.

15. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

You beat me to it :D

How much it weighs has nothing to do with how well it goes around corners. American cars are well known (in Europe at least) for having shocking handling. The chassis, suspension, tyres and steering are what makes it go around corners well.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Personally, I'm waiting for the full-contact disk brakes in carbon. I want to see the wheels ripped off the car when it stops.

17. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

The C6 Corvette from the regular one to the new ZR1 has been 'Ring tuned. So it can take a corner. :)

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Certainly looks nice, I wait to see it on Top Gear. I think they actually quite liked the last version, despite the crappy bendy plastic body work/interior and shocking leaf suspension stolen from a pram :p

19. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

620 HP and 595 lb of torque???
    BRUTAL, it will need an experienced driver to control this beast
    or it will end up like this

[​IMG]

20. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

And the history books will read "Fifty years before the human race started to decline, and even though they were already aware of global warning and had the technology to make electric cars, they kept creating new ways of producing even more CO2"

That said, it's a pretty nice car!

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it's nice and all. but for that price! :eek: i wouldn't buy it, but that's just me

22. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Same and think of how much you would pay for gas and how bad for the enviroment it must be! :eek:

23. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

It's a '90 Eagle Talon. The engine is completely stock except for cams and the turbo. My car's mild compared to most of my friends' DSMs.

http://web.mac.com/stevestrzempek/iWeb/Cars/My '90 TSi.html

Someone with a C6 Z06 ran a 10.9 @ 128 bone stock, the ZR1 should be pretty sick with a good driver.

24. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

While this won't get 40 MPG, Corvette's have been very fuel efficient within their respective class. I would estimate 13/24 for the fuel economy numbers. I just hope the ZR1 lasts and won't be killed off because of the new 35 MPG mandate. While I am sure sports cars will survive no matter what, I just hope it won't take forever for them to recover like they did with the current 25 MPG mandate( C3 Corvette anyone???).