2009 MBP Screen/Lid Replaced by Apple, but now misaligned?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmk1974, Dec 7, 2010.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

A few days ago, I got my 2009 13" MBP back from the local Apple Store due to a display issue (group of stuck/lit pixels). They replaced the entire lid and screen assembly which I thought was really nice.

But after looking at it last night, when the lid is closed, it seems to be misalighed a bit The left side (with all the ports) has the lid overhanging a bit and then of course the opposite side a slight bit of the base exposed. It's even from front to back, so it's not like its crooked. And the black hinge area appears to have equal gaps between the black plastic and aluminum on each side.

I know it may sound picky, but it's the left side that's especially annoying because of the overhang. Is this normal on MBPs? It wasn't like that when I took it in. I'm glad for the the display repair of course, but if I take it back to fix again, will they do it right? I just don't get where the misalignment comes from since it looks straight...maybe the screen to lid assembly?

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

The gaps in the black plastic are normal. Screen overhang, is not. Take it back. They should fix it.

3. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

From what I've heard, it's a common defect with a lot of MBPs... nothing that a realignment or replacement of the shell shouldn't fix right up though.

4. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I made the appointment to go to the "Genius" bar after work. Hopefully it's a somewhat simple fix. I don't want to be without the laptop again for a few days.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That happened with my Macbook Pro. I took it in, and they gladly said they would fix it, but when I got it back, it had the same issue (on a different spot) and a very loose screen, so they just gave me a new one. Hopefully they will be able to fix yours in one shot.