Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icewing

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
St Louis
"Updates"? That sounds like a crock to me... Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the only carrier updates for the iPhone come through iTunes when you download the latest version of the firmware?

I work from home, and am on wifi all day...but I also leave the house every day. If she doesn't leave for days at a time, one would think she would be downloading FEWER updates, if anything.

Example: over a month's time, say there were 5 "updates" released...I would get each one the day it became available, but she might possibly skip one: she's on update 2, but doesn't leave the house until update 4 is released, she would either get both 3 and 4, or skip 3 and just get 4.

I'm calling BS on AT&T...

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
This isn't 1995 anymore, almost every signal website is rich today. Google homepage is ~300KB, Macrumors homepage is ~2MB by itself, like-wise with Amazon. So a couple clicks here, and there, and look, your already at the limit.

Fact is what you consider warrants a 2GB plan is completely false as proof by the fact that you had to upgrade.

This is SOOO wrong!! I have had my iPhone 4 for TWO whole billing cycles now and niether one has gotten close to 200mb. Both were around 100mb.

And that is plenty of web browsing, facebook (photos & video), downloaded a couple of apps, and even accidentaly downloaded a video using MiTube on 3g.

The 200mb plan is exactly what I need. I am in wifi 90% of the time so all i need is cell data here and there.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
This is SOOO wrong!! I have had my iPhone 4 for TWO whole billing cycles now and niether one has gotten close to 200mb. Both were around 100mb.

And that is plenty of web browsing, facebook (photos & video), downloaded a couple of apps, and even accidentaly downloaded a video using MiTube on 3g.

The 200mb plan is exactly what I need. I am in wifi 90% of the time so all i need is cell data here and there.

Ditto--only I have three years of iPhone bills to back me up. I've never gone over 200 MB, and most months, I barely crack 100.

I left myself on unlimited data because I wasn't sure if my usage would change with the iPhone 4. Two bills later, it hasn't. If this continues through the end of the year, I'll drop down to the 200 MB plan and save myself the $15 a month.

If you're on wifi nearly constantly, it's actually really easy to stay under the cap, though I do think AT&T either should have a 500MB/1 GB middle option or should have set the low end option a bit higher. Same issue with their text plans--200 is too low, 1500 is WAY more than I need, and there's no middle ground.

My guess on the OP's issue--either it's just an anomaly that won't recur, or something is sporadically interfering with the wifi usage in the house, causing the phone to revert to 3G. It's not likely a constant issue, or usage would be a lot higher.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Double check the Cellular Network Data under Settings/Usage on the phone. See if the numbers there jive with what AT&T is saying. I remember seeing some posts complaining about AT&T's numbers being wrong.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
You can also check data/text usage by dialing *3282# in the phone app, or via the AT&T myWireless Mobile app.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
You can also check data/text usage by dialing *3282# in the phone app, or via the AT&T myWireless Mobile app.

I think he checked their website and it was saying that he was almost to the 200mb cap. So I assume the phone app and the myWireless app would report the same (from the AT&T side). Since it's supposed to be on WiFi all the time, it's odd that he's got so much data useage, so checking the phone side (although not a perfect thing since it is cumulative) might give another avenue to double check. ie. AT&T's site says he used 200mb and the phone says it used 50mb for the same time and you know something's up.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I'm still leaning toward using data while out and about and not thinking about it. IMO switching data on and off is opening yourself up to forgetting to switch it off or not thinking about it.

I would check the wifi also.

I kept my Unlimited because I use it and it's worth it not to have to worry about overages.

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
This isn't 1995 anymore, almost every signal website is rich today. Google homepage is ~300KB, Macrumors homepage is ~2MB by itself, like-wise with Amazon. So a couple clicks here, and there, and look, your already at the limit.

Fact is what you consider warrants a 2GB plan is completely false as proof by the fact that you had to upgrade.

To be fair, I use Wifi all of the time when I am at home but while at work i am on GPRS.
I have Exchange push on my phone for Gmail and Check facebook quite alot i would say at least 3 times a day. According to the Cell Data in the setting si have used 1.4gb since I owned the phone as I have not ever reset the timers.
I think that 1gb carried over from my old iPhone as i did a restore so its more like 400mb for the few months i have owned it thats around 100/150mb per month..

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
It does carry over. If you want to double check the AT&T numbers, you have to reset it at the beginning of a cycle, then compare the numbers at the end of the cycle.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
It does carry over. If you want to double check the AT&T numbers, you have to reset it at the beginning of a cycle, then compare the numbers at the end of the cycle.

That's what I do every bill cycle. For instance, my billing period starts over on the 2nd of every month. So on the 2nd I reset my usage and that way I know exactly how much data I have used at any point during the month. Very easy way to keep up with it.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
My baby girl is 2.5 months old already :)

No dead zones...I have a 1800 square foot house. Not huge by any means.
My house is smaller then yours (1300 sq feet) and it took a wireless router and a wireless bridge to cover the house with WiFi 100% of the time. Of course my router is in the back bedroom and that is why I need the bridge to get decent signals to the front of the house.

Also, sounds like AT&T gave you a line of BS. The iPhone doesn't get carrier updates from the network like other phones do and, even if it did, it wouldn't count against your data plan (never has on other phones). Also, the carrier updates would still get to her phone, even when connected to you WiFi, because the phone is still connected to the AT&T network (which is why you can still make phone calls when connected to a WiFi network). That doesn't matter though since the iPhone only gets carrier updates through iTunes.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
So my wife has been at home--on maternity leave--for the last 3 months and is only leaving the house 2-4 times a week. So imagine my surprise when we got notified that she was close to her 200MB data cap. She connects to WiFi at home, and when she's out with baby, I know she's not doing anything that's more data intensive than the occasional text message. Even at home, all she does is update her Facebook, check email, and play Bejeweled. She takes and uploads baby photos/videos, but that's at home via WiFi too. I've double-checked all her network and WiFi settings to confirm that she is connecting.

I called AT&T this morning to get to the bottom of this. Their response: because she doesn't leave the house for days at a time, when she does and connects back to the 3G network, the phone is downloading all the "updates" since the last time she connected. My response? Why should those updates--not data that we're actively using--count against the cap? If calling AT&T support is free call, then shouldn't the phone "calling home" via a data connection be free too? Just to be clear--these aren't app updates or data use, but normal carrier updates. The suggestion? Have her turn off WiFi and connect to 3G once a day. A very un-Apple-like solution.

Does this make sense to anyone else? With WiFi at home, and WiFi at work (when she goes back), I don't see any reason why she needs more than the 200MB. I'll closely examine the data use on the bill (when I get it in a few days), but this is nuts.

Just connect to Wi-fi all times. Problem solved.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
In three years with my original iPhone, I only used 4GB. In three years.

In one week with my iPhone 4 (my first with 3G), I ran a little experiment, streaming music in my car, and I used 4 GB!!!

Just a minor change in the way you use your phone can make a huge difference in the data it consumes.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Just connect to Wi-fi all times. Problem solved.

did you read my original post? she's on wifi 98% of the time.

i'll will try some of your other suggestions, but wifi coverage in my house is just fine.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
My house is smaller then yours (1300 sq feet) and it took a wireless router and a wireless bridge to cover the house with WiFi 100% of the time. Of course my router is in the back bedroom and that is why I need the bridge to get decent signals to the front of the house.

Also, sounds like AT&T gave you a line of BS. The iPhone doesn't get carrier updates from the network like other phones do and, even if it did, it wouldn't count against your data plan (never has on other phones). Also, the carrier updates would still get to her phone, even when connected to you WiFi, because the phone is still connected to the AT&T network (which is why you can still make phone calls when connected to a WiFi network). That doesn't matter though since the iPhone only gets carrier updates through iTunes.

you have a crap router or have tons of interference in your home...my house is the same size and my router covers all of the house (all 3 floors), driveway/garage and backyard (20x20).

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
When the phone is in standby I believe it turns Wifi off (or at least disconnects wifi) so if you have mail coming in and out while in standby then its going to use 3G regardless if you are home or not. Does she have mail setup for fetch/push? Just trying to see what exactly the phone can be doing while in standby.

I have had an iPhone since 3G came out and now with the iPhone 4 I'm using way more data. I'm going over 5gb this cycle. Thank god for the unlimited plan. Netflix has something to do with it but it does keep the 4 year old occupied while his brother is playing soccer on Saturdays.

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
Ok - did you just post without reading the thread? I'd give you some latitude if the thread was more than a page or two. Sorry - but it's a pet peeve of mine.
I did say I may be missing something and clearly I did miss that post. But thanks for explaining your pet peeve. That was helpful.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Congrats Dad!!! What Dracokyaku says it's true! check to see if the baby monitor is causing interference, the same goes for microwaves and some cordless phones!

The best thing she could do while in the house is just go to: Settings>Network>Cellular Data OFF on her iPhone and presto, no more data charges until she decides to leave the house (in which case she would do the same steps, just turn ON the Cellular Data to get it back working!

The MHz a cordless phone and microwave uses is nowhere close to the MHz radiating to and from AT&T's network.

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
200mb is way to low AT&T should have bump it to 500mb..I'm already 12 days and I used 2375.73Mb of data..I don't tether just stream lots of music/movies..

Att data/plans sucks over priced..only thing I like is mobile to mobile and my unlimited data

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
The MHz a cordless phone and microwave uses is nowhere close to the MHz radiating to and from AT&T's network.

No one said that it was. Read it again:

Just out of interest, have you installed any baby monitors and the like in the babies room? many of them will operate on the 2.4ghz frequency range and can interfere with a WiFi signal.

Congrats Dad!!! What Dracokyaku says it's true! check to see if the baby monitor is causing interference, the same goes for microwaves and some cordless phones!

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
When the phone is in standby I believe it turns Wifi off (or at least disconnects wifi) so if you have mail coming in and out while in standby then its going to use 3G regardless if you are home or not. Does she have mail setup for fetch/push? Just trying to see what exactly the phone can be doing while in standby.

I have had an iPhone since 3G came out and now with the iPhone 4 I'm using way more data. I'm going over 5gb this cycle. Thank god for the unlimited plan. Netflix has something to do with it but it does keep the 4 year old occupied while his brother is playing soccer on Saturdays.

she does have her gmail set to push

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
she does have her gmail set to push

Well even with mail being pushed it shouldn't be using that much data. Unless she is receiving huge emails with large pics. I would get AT&T to straighten this out. This is not "normal".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.