200MB tier is not enough for minimal usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JMax1, Jul 2, 2010.

1. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

Is anyone finding that the 200MB lower tier is not enough? It has only been a week and buyer got an email and text from AT&T saying that I have reached about 65% of my data usage (within the first week). I didn't think I would have considered myself a heavy user (i.e. Just a little browsing, email) and don't watch any Hulu or Youtube over 3G.

Is anyone else with the 200MB Plan finding this or is it time to upgrade to the 2GB plan?

2. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Actually, I considered myself a HEAVY user always on the web, I constantly get emails with attachments (for work), I just thought that it would be so much more.

I looked at my graph on AT&T website and I've only once went over the 140MB mark. :confused:
    Oh well, my savings I guess.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Why does it matter what anyone else thinks? You're clearly going to pass your 200MB, so it would be obvious to go to the next tier.

It's not like someone else's usage will impact your usage or what tier you should pick.

4. brightlights macrumors regular

I think I'm a pretty heavy user, loads of streaming radio etc. Have never gone over 300mb.

5. yellier35 macrumors newbie

Thats why I kept my unlimited plan for now. You know having a new toy and all you are going to play with it more often. I have only ever gone over 200mB one time since 2007 and that happened this year in may. I find it funny since that is when they came out with that data usuage calc. lol.

If you find yourself going over every month then I would go up a tier. Just my thoughts.

6. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Get the 2 gig to start. After you get over the new toy and just start using the thing, see what your usage is and decide if you can downgrade to the 200MB.

I have typically used 200-700MB, but in 1 week with the i4 I've used 1.4 gig. I think it's from being obsessed with speed and performance concerns and running tons of speed tests. I'm sure it will die back down and I'll see where I'm at with the new phone. Luckily I'm still unlimited. :)

7. JMax1 thread starter macrumors 6502

JMax1

Really? You mean it's not a good idea to ask for other opinions? I mean clearly I'm going to upgrade, it was a rhetorical question. But I can't ask if otter people are finding 200MB not enough?

Thank you other posters for simply stating their usage.

8. Billy Mays macrumors member

Most people tend to peak their data usage shortly following their purchase because of the "new" factor. I'd get the 2GB option if I were you just to give yourself some wiggle room. Remember, the 200MB option was said to only work with ~60% (?) of their customers.

I'm at 600MB and I got it on the 29th at AT&T, I'd consider myself a heavy data user.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

200 is only enough for the very casual user. Would consider myself a casual user, but not that casual. I don't use data every day, and when I do use it is to websites. I rarely stream video. My monthly avg use is 250. If ATT had a 300MB option I would have taken it. But w/ an avg use of 250 it does not pay to switch from my unlimited plan.

Unless you really don't use data much go w/ the unlimited if yo are eligible, or the 2GB plan. The 200 plan will screw you. BTW you can switch back and forth between the 200mb and 2GB plans monthly, as needed.

10. xXMaxxyXx macrumors newbie

If you don't use your internet when your out that much.

and you have wi-fi. Yeah, 200MB is for your.

If you don't have wi-fi and use internet often. 2GB is better.

If I were you, I'd get 2GB regardless since it's only 10$ more.

I have unlimited from my last plan still.

11. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Works great for my wife, and saves us $15 on our monthly service plan (versus the unlimited plan we were paying for). If we go on vacation and she needs more, we'll bump it up to 2GB for that month.

12. JMax1 thread starter macrumors 6502

JMax1

Oh well it looks like my billing cycle just started again anyway, we'll see how this goes. Looking back, i was sending a lot of pictures at a higher resolution, so maybe by becoming a little more data-responsible I can keep with the 200MB - it seems like it is possible. Wish I still had my unlimited from my iPhone 2G, but it had broken and was using a phone with an IQ of 30 (non-smart phone) until iPhone 4 came out.

Seems like maybe a 300 or 400MB plan would really work better for so many people, but alas, it is not up to us. It seems like the 60%~ "casual user" really must not use their phone a lot, or have a lot of WIFI. Time to get a wireless router or just route a wifi signal through my iMac at home!

13. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

This right here. There's no reason not be on a more reliable wi-fi network while at home.

14. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

im with vodafone in the uk. im in the highest tier which means i get 1gb a month of data. i use about that in an entire year! the reason i went for it though is because they offer 5mb a day when abroad which is brilliant as i travel to ireland a lot.

can you not add extras to your contract by paying a little extra? you can here.

15. euphrus macrumors member

200mb is perfect for me because it comes to about 6.66 MB a day, and i dont really come close to that because I have wifi most places that i go!

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, the 200MB plan is really cynical on ATTs part. 300MB would be fine for most, but it would also prevent people from having to buy another bucket of data and essentially forces you to buy the 2GB @ $25 or the unlimited @ $30 b/c buying two buckets of 200MB data for $30 isn't cost effective.

Personally I use my iPhone data as a "last resort," meaning I'm away from my computer or iPad. So I rarely have a chance to use it w/ WiFi b/c I'm in a place w/ no public WiFi.

17. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

It might actually make sense to start with the cheaper package since the overage fees are so reasonable. If you go over the 200MB, it only costs you another $15, which is only $5 more than if you had the 2GB plan. Obviously if go way over this doesn't apply.

18. dinnadawg macrumors member

I have a bunch of wi-fi spots around where I live and work so I have hardly used my 3g data at all. I think I've used all of 3mb total. I knew that I would be primarily around wi-fi so thats why I went with the 200mb plan. So far, so good.

19. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I've been using 5+ GB a month. Mainly streaming music to and from work.

When I got my iPhone 4 on the 23rd my new cycle started a few days later. I decided to change my habits temporarily to see how I would do under "normal" circumstances. What I've been doing is:

- Surf the web some (actually held back)
    - Send and receive several emails. I get about 100 per day. txt only for the most part.
    - Send some pictures through txt/email (large photo option)
    - Sent 2-3 15-20sec videos through txt
    - Used google maps for about 5 minutes while looking for a location
    - No youtube or other streaming media
    - Use wifi at home rather then 3G

4 days in and I'm already about 130MB of data used and I actually used the phone way less than normal.

Glad I'm on the unlimited plan. I'm just going to see how long it takes me to get to 200MB then it's back to my old habits.

20. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Plus, if you go over you can upgrade to the 2GB plan anytime before the billing cycle ends and only pay $25. I like the way AT&T has implemented these tiered plans and appreciate that they send out notices as you get closer to your limit and allow you the flexibility of changing plans monthly if needed.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Are you sure about that? That is not my understanding. My understanding is you pay for what you use. So if you sign up for 200MB, use it up and then buy the 2G bucket you will get charged $15 for the 200MB bucket and $25 for the 2GB bucket. That is what I was told at least.

22. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I consider myself a heavy user, but when I checked my graph on AT&T's website it said that I always use around 150 per month.

I attribute this to the fact that I have WiFi at home and school -- the two places I use my iPhone the most.

Save money, use WiFi.

23. drjsway macrumors 6502a

When i change my plan, i get three options; effective today, effective at start of next billing cycle, or backdate it to the beginning of current billing cycle.

24. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I use over 2Gbs every month so i'm glad i kept my unlimited

25. cdebnil macrumors regular

711 mb in 1 week

I got mine on launch day....one week...711 MB...Glad I got to carry over my unlimited plan! I'm not that heavy a user...I do use Slingplayer occasionally during lunch break...and will def be using Netflix quite often when at airports etc.....