2010 13" Macbook Pro, slowing down + battery loss

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reach9, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hi guys,

I just want to say, i switched to a Mac and that was probably the best technological decision i took so far.
    However, recently i've noted my new 2010 13" Macbook Pro has been pretty sluggish on doing everyday tasks. I see the multicolored pinwheel very frequently, starting up the new Office 2011 suite has suddenly become sluggish, opening tabs in Safari has become sluggish, switching Spaces filled with windows has become sluggish, and overall it seems like a slower computer.
    I have also bought a 1yr subscription of MacKeeper, and make sure the report is Green everyday by clearing cache etc. But it is still running slow..

On top of that, my battery life has really decreased. It's definitely not like how it was during the first couple weeks of using the device.
    According to iStats it has a Battery health of 89% with 88 cycles.

Should i take it into the Apple Store? Please help.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For the slow performance, check a few things:

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Have you looked in Activity Monitor to see what is sucking all the juice out of your MBP?

With your battery, when was the last time you calibrated it? If your MBP is beach-balling, it will most probably impact your battery life.

Is the sluggishness still there even after a system restart? I ask this as many people almost never switch off their MBPs.

What is your iStat pro reporting with memory and HD space?

As your MBP is still under warranty, an appointment with a Genius certainly wouldn't hurt.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

A battery is a consumable and it will go down.

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

... but 89% health after 88 cycles certainly doesn't sound right.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on how they use it. Read the Battery FAQ I posted for details.

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

True. Great link btw.

8. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

My MBP is slowing down too. Especially if I look at any GIF's it will beach ball for a little while, and I'll have to quit Safari. Could it be a Safari issue? Everything else seems to be okay. What do you guys need me to post so you can point me in the right direction?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't have issues with my computer, but personally I do not use Safari.

10. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Yeah, I did a scan and I have no malicious viruses or bugs so at this point I can only assume that it's Safari unless someone else has any other ideas.

11. xdbuix macrumors 6502

delete some widgets that run in the background and get Onyx. It should be free, its a clean it up program and makes it alot faster after its done. I use it every time my macbook slows down

12. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

My new MBP 13" is a little slower under 10.6.6 than 10.6.5, so I'm blaming the update for being just a little less stable/speedy.

Running Onyx, though, does seem to help quite a bit.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Mine is at 94% at 20 cycles.

Find some threads here about people posting their battery health. I've found the batteries in the 2010 MBP's lose a lot of initial health.

I know Apple advertises them as lasting longer than your typical battery, but it seems if they do, they lose a lot of initial power first than tend to stay stable (mine went down to 92//94 pretty quick but has stayed stable there for a while. Though I have noticed that while I usually can get 7.5 hours out of it with word/safari and half dim like they claim apple tested it with, lately it's had a few charges that it seemed it would only go 5 hours).

My old 2007 MB's battery is still at 97% and barely has lost any ability to hold a charge (enough now to be noticeable but it's been such a slow loss I can't even tell you how much better, I think it wasn't *that* much better when new).

I'm pretty disappointed with the 2010 MBP. You could try taking it to a "genius" in the apple store but chances are they'll probably just tell you its normal (but worth a try *shrug*).

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Safari doesn't seem to handle .gif files as well as some other browsers.
    Mac Virus/Malware Info

15. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

after you have done all the necessary checks, if you are still in warranty it won't hurt to talk to a person at the apple store. Though if things are running slow that could mean hard drive problems or anything for that matter

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you have any anti-virus programs, they may be the reason for a slow down as many individual users report weird things with OSX virus scans.

17. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I'm having the same concern with my 2010 13" MBP. I have had it exactly 2 months and it is already down to 94% health after just 30 cycles. My 2009 13" MBP that I previously had was only at 91% and 260 cycles after a year+ when I sold it.

18. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

I am having such problem with my Mac Pro lol i updated to latest version 10.6.6 now Rocking :eek:

19. Politis macrumors regular

the mysterious life of batteries...

Thanks, that was very useful.
    But I cannot help LOL The mysteries of battery life: Somewhere between alchemy and old wives tale :rolleyes: Soon each battery will come with its own horoscope :D

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the Battery FAQ I posted? It has your answers.