2010 13in MBA to 2011 13in MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FortWorthMac, Jul 24, 2011.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

So....

Anyone here gone from a 2010 13in MBA to the 2011 13in MBA?

I have the 256GB 2.13/4GB and thinking of going to the 128GB 1.7/4GB.

I guess my main question is, with the new processor, is it noticeably faster?

Thanks

2. semitry macrumors member

Nope.

I went from base to ultimate too, mostly for the space and ram for VM/Windows 7

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I had a similar question the other day, you may want to look at the responses. Post.

I decided it's not worth the hassle to upgrade, plus battery life may be better in the 2010s. The 2010 MBAs are great, gonna wait for the next upgrade in 2013 or so.

4. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

it should be clear from all the related posts in this forum that not everyone needs or will notice a fast CPU.

if me and Einstein take a 1st grade math test, we'll probably finish around the same time. if you ask us to invent general relativity, one of us will finish a lot quicker.

browsing the web is the 1st grade math test. audio/video editing is harder. unless you're doing something processor intensive, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW OR CARE WHAT CPU YOU HAVE.

if your machine works for you, why upgrade? for the stress of reselling?

5. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

Yeah I love my 2010 just really, really wish it had the backlit KB.

My wife is self employed, so for tax purposes I don't mind the expense. It can really help come next April. I then sell my current one. :)

6. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

curious, how does that work?

7. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not the CPA so don't ask me......

8. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I wasn't upgrading from a 2010 MBA to a 2011 MBA, but was considering both pretty hard at the store yesterday. I did ultimately buy the 2010 13" MBA because for the price difference, I felt like I could live without the backlit keyboard and faster processor. So far, I am very much liking this 2010 MBA! I haven't encountered anything yet where it has choked.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wife deducts the air as a business expense?

10. jeffg819 macrumors regular

I made the switch and am enjoying what to me is a noticeably faster experience. My natural rhythm in life is rather fast paced so anything that lets me click and move quicker is worth it to me. Plus, and this may be more the case, when it comes to my tech, something I use a lot, I like having the latest and greatest.

Your best bet may be to visit an Apple store or Best Buy and click around for yourself.

11. Kendo macrumors 68000

I would say definitely not worth it considering that if you sell your current 2010 model at a loss, you probably won't get more than $1400 which is equal to the 2011 model you want.

I would rather have the extra 128GB of SSD space rather than a backlit keyboard and a faster CPU (SSD makes the CPU a non-issue for most normal daily tasks). Not to mention you are saving hundreds from the loss. It is probably the most cost effective to upgrade Apple products every other year.

12. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Best post of the day.

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

Agree. Sadly, people ask this same question every time a vendor announces a new product with a faster CPU and the answer is always the same. You'd think common sense would tell them if you're not doing Processor (the P in CPU) intensive work you won't notice any improvement with a faster CPU, but it doesn't. :(

Internet surfing and email is not processor, or even memory, intensive work.

14. hachre macrumors 6502a

hachre

Short version: You pay taxes on income, since you buy the MBA you have less income -> thus you pay less taxes = Money saved. In Germany the taxes are 50% so buying the MBA but saving on taxes essentially means you're paying 50% for the MBA.

15. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. That is the case. :D:D

16. eba macrumors regular

I did exactly that. I'm happy, but can't say I really notice any huge difference in daily use. About the only thing I can truthfully say I notice on routine basis is the backlit keyboard (which seems brighter than previous models, by the way).

I like Lion, but I tried it on my 2010 MBA and it ran great there too. So no need to buy a new MBA just for that.

Bottom line is I like my new machine, but I'd be fine without it.

17. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

I am.

I own the 2010 base 13" and just went to 2011 base 13"...it's not yet here though, but i have no doubts that it will be awesome.

18. groovyone789 macrumors newbie

I got ~$1800 for my 2010 13" ultimate air and accessories (too good to be true, right?), yeah well it ended up being fraud but I was protected so two weeks later I had my money. Waiting on the 13" i7 to arrive now. After the back-to-school promo I'm coming out slightly ahead on the upgrade. I did have to go 2 months with only my ipad tho :D

19. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

maybe you guys should focus more on your schooling or pro career than slicing and dicing hairs on processing speed? seriously. it's a complete waste of dough to go from 13 to 13 with this slight refresh.

the new keyboard shouldn't matter anyways if you already shelled out $s for the non lit mba.

wait for the next awesome development not just one small iterative update.

20. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

How did you do this?

21. h00ligan macrumors 68030

It's on of the last remaining loopholes. Company owns or leases everything, deduct applicable expenses, then pay salaries. On a startup it can reduce tax liability greatly.

At least how I understand it - I could be mistaken and there may be much more qualified people to answer.

22. groovyone789 macrumors newbie

Used paypal and followed their directions to a T. Only ship to a verified address, use your own shipping label, ship the package insured with delivery confirmation and signature required.

23. JonLa macrumors 6502

I have the 2010 ultimate 13" - popped into the local Apple store to have a play with Lion, and used one of the new base 13". In normal browsing, reading mail, itunes, etc, I noticed no difference in speed between the 4gb i5 in the shop and my C2D 4GB at home. both were really quick, no beach balls. I'm sure once you get into imovie, photoshop, garage band, you'll notice the processor power difference, but if all you want it for is writing, surfing, emailing, the main important difference is the backlit keyboard.

Of which I will not comment.... :)

24. duky macrumors 6502

Went from 2.13 2010 13" to the base 13" 2011 (i5) and haven't noticed performance differences. The only thing I did notice that was different was streaming 1080p movies from my Mac mini over the network. Was much smoother and faster.