2010 17" MacBook Pro not booting up / dead screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leeboy, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Leeboy macrumors newbie

HI everyone, I'm trying to fix moms macbook Pro A1297 2010 model . Was working fine and then one day it wouldn't turn on. I've tried the basics that I could do so far , here's what I've done and found out .

1. With the charger in ( glowing green) I push the power button and I can hear/ feel things spinning . The light on the front right facing panel glows white . And every so often fades out and back on .
    2. I Removed one of the rams ( and the other ) and tried each one in the other slot . When I turned it on with no ram in it I got the beeping alarm going on and off.
    3. If I hold the power button down til I hear/ feel it shut down , then hold "shift, control, option and the power button together , I get the green light on the " caps lock " button light up .
    4 . If I unplug the charger , hold the power button for 10 seconds , keep,holding the power button and plug the charger back in , release and push power the fans kick in at Mach 1 speed like a jet taking off , run for 20-30 seconds then shut down, then turn on and run then turn off..

5. Tried the SMC reset and PRAM reset and still nothing .

Anything else I can try or does anyone have a idea

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You got bummed by NVIDIAgate - the GT 330M failure infamous among the 2010 models.

3. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Send it back to Apple for a really expensive logic board replacement.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother. It's pretty outdated already.

I'd save up for a 15" rMBP.

5. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I could find a ebay logic board ? How do I find what the exact part number on my board is ?

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You may find that buying a used laptop with the said logic board is cheaper. The hassle may not be worth it.

7. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Are any of those home remedy fixes known to work? Like the logic board in the oven ? Or wrapping it in a blanket for 2 hours and over heating it ? What part usually goes on these , resistor? Fuse ? Etc? Its just used for surfing the net and stuff, not buisness or anything so if it took a month to figure it out that's fine .

8. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Where would I find the serial/ model number of my logic board so I can hunt for a used one . I can rebuild a iphone , so I'm not afraid to swap a logic board . Thanks everyone

9. austinpike macrumors 6502

The "logic board in the oven" apparently works for some people; obviously there is no way to guarantee that it will or won't work for you. If you have exhausted other resources and have the time, what have you got to lose? The blanket thing sounds like you would have less control, and that assumes the laptop actually stays powered up long enough to cook itself (sounds like yours keeps shutting off?)

Otherwise sending it off to a more professional reflow service place (check eBay) might be cheaper(?) than buying a replacement logic board.

10. widestload macrumors regular

widestload

I think Apple had a formal scheme in pace to cover the 2010 models. I think its finished now, but it might be worth a quick call to Apple first before going down the DIY route?

11. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw the repair plans in the 2010 , it was covering the 15" model , where ours is a 17". I did call em with no luck , I even asked for a higher manager and she advised me to look on ebay or one of the used places that sell logic boards .

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

15" and 17" models share the GPU, so the program applies.

That said, the program no longer exists. Your best bet is to actually just sell it for parts. I'd recommend you to upgrade to a baseline 15" rMBP.

13. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

When I did call apple, the senior adviser said if there was a problem with our year of macbook, we would have got a letter kind of like a "recall" since we didn't get a letter ours didn't apply to the warranty fix

14. ron1004, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015

ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

This happened with me with my 17" 2011 MBP - quick turn-around and still going strong.

Go to your nearest Genius Bar and they'll send it off for a flat rate repair of $310

I just cant imagine losing my 17"

15. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmmm, interesting . I'm in Canada , and the nearest genius bar is approx 4 hours away . Wonder if I could use your repair tag as ammo ?

16. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/28/macbook-pro-2011-graphics-lawsuit/

My 2011 is known to have this problem, but have not seen issues with the 2010 - my wife has the 2010 and it's been trouble free.

I showed Apple a printout of the above link and they still claimed that there was no generic problem.

----------

I heard that this is only available in the US - you could get someone in the US to send it in for you.

17. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

18. austinpike macrumors 6502

my understanding is that there are 3 generations of "video-card gate"

2007-era nVidia 8600m - extended repair program for numerous models.
    2010-era nVidia 330m - not as widespread; repair program only for 15"
    2011-era Radeon - still not acknowledged by Apple.

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

And also 2011 27" iMac (Radeon 6970M) - acknowledged by Apple with a repair program.

20. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

300 :eek:

tough choice for me and my panicking gpu 2010 15"

I don't know if I would pay for a fix or hope to find a newer mbp for $1,000 something

21. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

So was it a logic board re and re ? Or did they just fix your existing one ? I can't seam to find a serial number or model number on my logic board

22. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

Yes, the repair report showed that the logic board was replaced.

23. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

24. jsagurton macrumors member

25. Leeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sooooo close......why couldn't ours be a 2011 :(