Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Windows being Windows... tell me something new :D

I would remove the GT 120, its probably causing most of the issues (I know for fact that it does not work properly in EFI mode and will BSOD windows the moment the drivers kick in, any Tesla based Card will bring down windows in EFI mode)

also what happens if you download the latest 1803 ISO from MS and use that to install windows 10 BTW?

It seems you are exactly right. After I remove the GT120, I can install Windows with just the 1080Ti flawlessly.

In fact, I am very new to this GT120. I was an AMD guy, until half years ago, I decided change to Nvidia because I do more gaming and video encoding than video editing now.

And only less than a month ago, I got a used dual processor with the GT120. So, try to run GT120 + 1080Ti combo. It works well in macOS, but really not that good in Windows. And I really have no idea it can causing trouble in EFI mode.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
That does make me think. I picked up a Sapphire 7950 a couple of months ago to power mt 4K screen. Currently, I have one of the switch settings set for EFI for boot screen. However, due to 4K I have to use the default card setting on switch place 1 to boot without the boot screen. It seems that if EFI support is not added then I am going to have some issues with Mojave and getting my card to work with 4K.
I doubt very much that your issue will be any different with Mojave than with High Sierra (or whichever version of MacOS you're on now). The problem is that the EFI on the Sapphire 7950 is too old to correctly support DisplayPort 1.2, which is what is necessary for 4K resolution at 60Hz. Unless you need the boot screen for something (Recovery, FileVault, etc.) you're better off just leaving the card in PC BIOS mode. If you need to do a firmware upgrade, Recovery, etc. then flip the switch back to EFI and connect a non-4K monitor (or change your 4K monitor's setting to DP1.1 if it has such an option).

The hope is that there will be new option(s) on the market that avoid this limitation. If not then you should be able to continue to use your 7950 in Mojave the same way you use it now.

lilins

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2018
Villeurbanne
cl
Weird, installed the HD7870 on the same Mac Pro, same restarting Finder - never opens. View attachment 765334 View attachment 765335

On thing, Metal support string changes between AMD and Nvidia cards.
Windows being Windows... tell me something new :D

I would remove the GT 120, its probably causing most of the issues (I know for fact that it does not work properly in EFI mode and will BSOD windows the moment the drivers kick in, any Tesla based Card will bring down windows in EFI mode)

also what happens if you download the latest 1803 ISO from MS and use that to install windows 10 BTW?

in my experience the gt 120 as a backup video card with no display connected to ended up in messing things up in windows.

had to remove it to use only my vega64.

i thought i wouldn’t have same issue if a display was connected to it, butcouldn’t check

frou

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Theory - as I've heard tell, Apple has hundreds of 5,1s at HQ, and they're one of the standard machines anyone checks out to use when they want to do anything new, mainly because they're the most generic, flexible and quirkless mac Apple made.
Reckon Apple are sniping W3690s and X5690s on eBay for them? :p To have employees using ancient CPUs, you at least want the best!

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
well the first post says openGL/CL will work on osx10.14 (i assume work but no updates) so we can make the gess that osx10.15 will drop support or stay the same (ie no more updates).

Support has been dropped now. If there is a bug in OpenGL/OpenCL (and there are) Apple will no longer fix it. No more updates as of Mojave.

It sounds like Apple will keep it in for at least a few years. If I had to take a guess, I'd say at least 5.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Just Updated Open GL Viewer to new version 5.0.8. Still reading the same as the last one:

I get different results. System Information tells me:

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

Opem GL Extensions Viewer tells me:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 6-6-18, 2.31.55 PM.png

This is with an MVC flashed GTX 1080.

Apparently still not updated correctly.

Lou

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For info, there is no need to worry about if Pascal card can install 10.14 (directly upgrade from High Sierra). Just tested that on my own cMP. Obviously it can.
Start.png
Started.png
Select target disk.png
Installing.png

But I cancelled the installation. Because there is no web driver yet. And I have no spare time to do that yet. I only has spare HDD, the installation will be super long. I want to avoid that. I still have quite a few videos need to encode.

Last edited:

whgmkeller

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2016
Netherlands
That does make me think. I picked up a Sapphire 7950 a couple of months ago to power mt 4K screen. Currently, I have one of the switch settings set for EFI for boot screen. However, due to 4K I have to use the default card setting on switch place 1 to boot without the boot screen. It seems that if EFI support is not added then I am going to have some issues with Mojave and getting my card to work with 4K.

I picked up a AMD HD 7950 last week, just to make sure my 2012 5.1 is Metal-compatible. Nice card, feels a lot snappier than the 5770 that was in when I bought the 5,1 two years ago.

It's not the official Mac Edition HD 7950. Not the white look but the red one. So I'm guessing it must be a PC version. I don't have boot screen but apart from that everything works just fine.

The card is mentioned generically (is that English?) as a Radeon HD 79xx card and has Metal support listed. Is there anything that I should do? Can I check if the card has been flashed? How? If not, should I flash it? How?

Thanks guys !

Willem

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
I wish APFS worked like it was promised, where you could encrypt only certain folders.

Right now I'm running full Filevault on APFS and booting off a non standard Apple video card obviously doesn't work. I don't mind turning off Filevault to get Mojave going, but then need to be able to encrypt my work folders as per company policy.

Reactions: macsforme

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I wish APFS worked like it was promised, where you could encrypt only certain folders.

Right now I'm running full Filevault on APFS and booting off a non standard Apple video card obviously doesn't work. I don't mind turning off Filevault to get Mojave going, but then need to be able to encrypt my work folders as per company policy.

Perhaps you shouldn't run beta software on your company machine to begin with.

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio
I picked up a AMD HD 7950 last week, just to make sure my 2012 5.1 is Metal-compatible. Nice card, feels a lot snappier than the 5770 that was in when I bought the 5,1 two years ago.

It's not the official Mac Edition HD 7950. Not the white look but the red one. So I'm guessing it must be a PC version. I don't have boot screen but apart from that everything works just fine.

The card is mentioned generically (is that English?) as a Radeon HD 79xx card and has Metal support listed. Is there anything that I should do? Can I check if the card has been flashed? How? If not, should I flash it? How?

Thanks guys !

Willem

I have the same flashed AMD HD 7950 card and is does show metal in HS. Mine shows the Apple logo slash screen during boot-up.

Hoping 10.14 will work with this card too...have not tried.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Thanks guys !

Willem

It's not flashed, otherwise will show boot screen and should show HD7950 in "about my Mac".

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Will wait for the modular Mac Pro to be announced or detailed and the official information about GPUs on 5,1 (non-beta), but not sure if I'll be installing 10.14 on this authentic 5,1. Getting NVIDIA web drivers for 10.14 would help a lot, but will that be a supported solution for using modern NVIDIA GPUs in Mojave?

Currently running a GTX 1080 FE (non-EFI). Have a GTX 680 Mac Edition for backup (EFI). Use Adobe applications daily. Unfortunately, AMD GPUs simply do not offer the same performance benefits with Adobe products. Lack of CUDA hurts a lot.

It's one thing to upgrade with standard PC parts in an unsupported fashion (and adjust accordingly), it's another thing entirely for Apple to say buy an RX 580 PULSE ($300-$350) for 10.14, but you won't get boot screens, disable FileVault, etc.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
interesting how is windows installed via EFI or BIOS?

with my MP5,1 I have windows 10 installed via EFI mode

and with a microcode patched BootROM windows 10 will just reboot the machine a few seconds after displaying the windows logo

when I flash back the stock BootROM windows 10 boots fine, however before all of this I had booted windows 10 on 0087 with no Microcode and I noticed windows 10 itself was loading Microcode version 15, so I was wondering if with the patched BootROM windows 10 was trying to load an older microcode then what was already there and falling over itself, it looks like this is not the case as I dont think you have run windows 10 on 0087 have you? (does raise the question does the windows 10 installer still boot with the patched BR?)

I finally have time to try Windows 10 EFI mode installed with 0087.B00 (native), then patch to microcode V30 (W3690).

macOS has absolutely no issue as expected, microcode V30 confirmed, but Windows can't boot.

I am very confident that I can perform another new Windows 10 EFI installation with the updated microcode, but don't have the time yet. So, I just flash the original 0087.B00 back in, and let the computer continue to do its job.

Last edited:
Reactions: LightBulbFun

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I doubt very much that your issue will be any different with Mojave than with High Sierra (or whichever version of MacOS you're on now). The problem is that the EFI on the Sapphire 7950 is too old to correctly support DisplayPort 1.2, which is what is necessary for 4K resolution at 60Hz. Unless you need the boot screen for something (Recovery, FileVault, etc.) you're better off just leaving the card in PC BIOS mode. If you need to do a firmware upgrade, Recovery, etc. then flip the switch back to EFI and connect a non-4K monitor (or change your 4K monitor's setting to DP1.1 if it has such an option).

The hope is that there will be new option(s) on the market that avoid this limitation. If not then you should be able to continue to use your 7950 in Mojave the same way you use it now.
I have to toggle my monitor for mDP V1.1 for EFI display. It's not the card, it's the outdated protocol used by EFI.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have to toggle my monitor for mDP V1.1 for EFI display. It's not the card, it's the outdated protocol used by EFI.

In fact, what I found very funny is that both my GT120 and HD4870 (genuine Apple card), can boot with DP1.2 connection. Only the HD7950 Mac Edition card cannot (despite that they are even more outdated is compare to the HD7950's Mac EFI).

The GT120 most likely just too weak, not even able to display 4K, therefore, no matter what's the monitor's resolution, refresh rate, and DP version, it still display the same low resolution EFI boot screen.

HD4870 is a bit funnier. It can boot and display with DP 1.2 connection, won't hang (which the 7950 will), but everything is distorted. However, still more handy then the 7950 because won't hand. I can leave the DP setting at 1.2 for daily use, and only switch to DP 1.1 when I really want to read that boot screen clearly.

I already sold my 7950, R9 380, and R9 280. But the HD4870 can still easily be the best backup card with my CHG90. It can display 3840x1080 without any problem. Still has good driver support and work flawlessly in the latest 10.13.5. And its Mac EFI work with all DP 1.1, 1.2, and 1.2+ connection.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I had to switch to DP1.1 on my Monitor, too with an Apple HD5770 GPU. DP1.2 gave me no bootscreen but a picture when the driver was kicking in (like GPUs with no bootscreen)

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Whether you switch the monitor or the card, the point I was making in my post is the same. The EFI firmware on the 7950 was built pre-DP1.2 and doesn't work with it. There's nothing about EFI specifically that's incompatible with DP1.2--it's the 79X0 EFI firmware.

carlcaulkett

macrumors member
May 13, 2017
London, England
Apple says No

I say Yes :D

View attachment 764550

(I had a quick look at the GPU drivers everything pre-metal has been purged, interesting NVIDIA fermi drivers are still there so does Fermi actually support metal? i Remember that being a bit debated "back in the day" no NVIDIA drivers newer then kepler tho sadly)

I say, who needs a new graphics card? Thanks to http://dosdude1.com/mojave/ I am running Mojave!

Screenshot 2018-09-07 at 16.35.39.png

Reactions: tipoo and orph

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
How interesting. So someone even with a supported model could install the legacy video card patch to get acceleration running on a non-Metal card? It looks like it doesn't' support the HD 5770 or 5870 though? But fine for older Nvidia cards like GT 120? Very cool.

carlcaulkett

macrumors member
May 13, 2017
London, England
Apparently there are a couple of cards that don't support acceleration but happily my Nvidea GPU is not one of those, and I have to say that to my, admittedly untrained, eye the graphics seem quick enough!

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I heard rumor (or perhaps it was wishful thinking) that if you have a more modern video card that is compatible, but not flashed (i.e. no boot screens) that Mojave will still work with an encrypted/file vault drive. Is this true? Have they moved the decrypt login past the EFI login screens?

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I heard rumor (or perhaps it was wishful thinking) that if you have a more modern video card that is compatible, but not flashed (i.e. no boot screens) that Mojave will still work with an encrypted/file vault drive. Is this true? Have they moved the decrypt login past the EFI login screens?
Would be the first I'm hearing of it. Do you remember where you heard it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.