2010 Camaro in Production

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by joeshell383, Mar 16, 2009.

1. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

That is the V6 version with 304 HP.

Too bad I want the SS with the RS package that goes 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. :cool:

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

4. suprdave1 macrumors newbie

I like the Challenger, myself (can't beat the sound of a hemi) but I'll admit that's one fine looking car.

If this is about the V6, then when does the V8 start production?

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Both start at the same time( in matter of fact the vehicles spotted at the Oshawa plant have been mostly SS's).

I disagree with the Hemi. Nothing beats the sound of a Chevy Small Block V8.

6. bryantsiphone macrumors member

yes indeed, should have them at my work in the next week or two, but there all sold, so i wont get to drive any of the six we are getting.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've seen three of these on the road so far. Maroon, white and silver. Looks mean!

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Thank you GM for putting an independent suspension in the car. Ford, are you listening? :rolleyes:

Visually, I think it's pretty good, though it is a retro-look car. Engine options look OK, though any Mustang or Camaro with a V6 is a poser, regardless of engine output.

Overall it looks like a good car. But for my money, I'd go with a GTI, Evo, 370Z or even a base Corvette, depending on which model Camaro you're looking at.

Well, the engines feature cylinder deactivation technology, so for highway cruising it is technically a V4. ;)

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

So how is GM able to produce this car? I thought the performance division was going to have to shut down as a condition of the bailout? Supposedly this is to force GM to start producing fuel efficient cars and this hardly qualifys. I know the Cobalt SS Turbocharged car is one that will cease.

I believe this effects all SS versions as I mentioned already the SS Cobalt, HHR and others.

10. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.motorauthority.com/chevr...te-disbanding-of-gm-performance-division.html

11. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Oh great, another crappy remake of a classic car. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just what we need in this market... :eek::rolleyes:

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

To be fair, the car was designed (at great expense) long before the current economic situation manifested itself.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It was never a condition of the loan and it doesn't effect any current SS's or V's. Or any close to launch like the Camaro.

14. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Its a muscle car, i don't think a V4 is the right direction

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

v4 lol you mean i4?

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The V4 is a rare configuration, but it does exist. I don't think there is a V4 currently in production though. The inline 4 is smoother.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What, no V2?

And why are people actually responding to me. I was joking. :p

18. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Actually, the new Camaro with that 3.5-liter V6 engine is faster and more powerful than the vast majority of Camaros produced in the past 25 years! I mean think about it: only the very top end Camaros with the big 5.7-liter V8 engine had more power than the 2010 Camaro with the V6 engine, and the fuel economy is definitely way poorer on the older models, too! (It does help the new Camaro essentially uses the same excellent drivetrain found on the Cadillac CTS sedan.)

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are lots of boxer fours in production too. :)

Anyway, I don't know. Maybe it'll sell... 29MPG / highway is not so bad for this kind of car with that kind of muscle. But I'd still like to see GM make something credible in the C-segment....

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Because I'm a big enough car fanatic to know about the existence of the V4..:eek:

It's no laughing matter! ;)

True, I own one myself. Not a Porsche, unfortunately.

So would I. GM seems to find it nearly impossible to biuild a decent small car. I'd rather buy a Fiat when they come to the US than wait for GM to finally get it right. But I hope they do get it right at some point.

We shouldn't place too much blame on the Camaro when looking at GM's waywardness though. There are plenty of other, more important factors.

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The Cruze is looking to be a decent car. Why GM didn't launch it here first I have no idea because the Cruze is need here more then in Europe.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Decent car, perhaps. But a STUPID name, if you ask me. Who came up with that one? :confused:

23. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Quite true. I find it pretty impressive that the V6 Camaro produces the same amount of power as the 5th generation Mustang GT (although I think the revised 2010 GT may have slightly more HP, but nowhere near as much as the SS).

24. LeoFio macrumors regular

I'll say! Nothing like going over an angled bump with my mustang...haha

IMO the new camaro looks like a toy car, not to say it doesn't look nice, but it just doesn't look real...can't put my finger on it. My loyalty still lies with the mustang though. Even if it has less HP stock, it weighs less than the camaro and challenger, and Ford made the 2010 model 20% more aerodynamically efficient over the previous model. All it needs is an independent rear suspension!