2010 iMac -- Failed Hard Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jumpshooter43, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Jumpshooter43 macrumors member

Hello,

As the title says, i have a 2010 27" iMac that has a failed hard drive. It failed around November 2012. I have been dreading replacing this and putting it off. I figure lots of you have replace a hard drive in one of these units. I just have a couple of questions.

1. How hard is it?
    2. I have read a bit and once I replace the hard drive I hear the temperature sensor goes nuts and the hard drive fans spin at max RPM is this correct?
    3. Should I replace it with an SSD?

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

if it is a seagate it is under recall and replacement is free from apple.

I will look for link

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

put your serial number in and find out.

please let us know if you can get a free one under this program

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

4. Jumpshooter43 thread starter macrumors member

This going to be a very dumb question but, where do i find the serial number. I don't have the box anymore and the mac won't boot up. I check on the machine its self and and can't find it

EDIT: Nevermind i found it

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Click on the :apple: icon in the upper left, choose "About This Mac" and then click "More info..." There you will find the serial number.

6. Jumpshooter43 thread starter macrumors member

The iMac serial number you entered is not eligible for this program. No further action on your part is needed at this time.

I believe it has the WD Black 1TB in it

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The HD is pretty easy to swap following the guide posted above, off the top of my head all you need is a couple suction cups and a torx screw driver.

8. macthefork, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

OWC has videos to install a drive for the 2010 27" here. You can then determine if it's something you'd want to tackle. They also sell drives, and the tool kits/suction cups for the job.

If you're patient, and gentle... it's not so difficult. I used their tools, video, and SSD to add a 240 SSD to my 2011 iMac. Was easier than I originally thought it would be.

9. Jumpshooter43 thread starter macrumors member

replacing hard drive doesn't seem hard at all.. the only thing that i am worried about is the fan running at max RPMs.. anybody know how to deal with this?

Thanks
    JS

10. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Yup: buy HDD Fan Control and set it up however you like.

I did this for my 2010 iMac, in which I replaced the HD with an SSD (which didn't have a temp sensor).

By the way, I'd highly recommend replacing your dead HD with an SSD, if you don't need a lot of storage and can afford it: it'll breathe new life into your machine, as many on this forum can attest.

11. Jumpshooter43 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the SSD seems like a no brainer. I have ordered a 120gb vertex 3. I plan to order HDD Fan Control tonight. Thanks this is what i was looking for.