2010 MacBook Pro SSD Minimum Size?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by njaremka, Mar 10, 2011.

1. njaremka macrumors 6502

i've been contemplating getting an SSD for my 13" MBP to use as a boot drive along with a optibay conversion for the existing hard drive for data storage.

if i plan on only installing OSX and windows 7 bootcamp onto the SSD, what would be the minimum size i would want to consider? could i get away with a 60gb, or should i step it up to 80gb or 120gb?

2. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

120 GB then. I have Windows 7 installed in an Intel G2 80 GB SSD on a desktop and it consumes 40GB already the OS and drivers itself. Now imagine with OS X there too.

80 GB would be bare minimum. 120 GB to have a nice space.

4. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

i currently have windows xp on my bootcamp partition, and i think i have the partition set to 32gb. i have no clue what windows 7 would require, that's more why i am asking about SSD size.

if i go 120gb (or 128gb), would you split the partition 60gb / 60gb?

5. bamf macrumors 6502

I've got an Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD with 73GB free still - so I'm using just over half. I've got a 40GB Windows VM on the drive (in lieu of BootCamp) as well.

The trick to keeping the size of your SSD small is to redirect folders to the drive in your Optibay for things like iTunes or Steam. Anything that takes up a good deal of space but doesn't actually need the read/write speeds of the SSD can be moved.

6. secondhandloser macrumors member

Depends on your needs, and how you split your use between the OSs.

I would assume you probably spend more time in OSX, maybe go 32/88 ish...

7. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

thats what i was planning. i have the stock 250gb drive in the computer now, and that would get moved to the optibay for data duties. the only use for the SSD would be for the OS installations. i dont consider myself a power user - i do some minor home video editing in imovie, and i dont use photoshop or anything else like that. i would just like a little better performance and storage space. eventually, i would like to bump the optibay drive to a bigger capacity.

8. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

32gb OSX / 88gb Windows?