2010 MacBook Pro: worth it to replace backlight/battery?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by holuaia, Jan 7, 2014.

1. holuaia macrumors newbie

I've got a mid 2010 15" MacBook Pro with a burnt out backlight, battery issues, and some minor cosmetic and keyboard damage. I can replace the battery easily enough but I can't fix the backlight myself (no experience, and I've heard it's fiddly), and since the computer is out of warranty apple wants to charge $550 just for the backlight replacement.

So my question is, should I pay for the repairs and battery and get a basically functional laptop for around $600, or should I spring for a new/refurbished 13" pro? Normally I'd get it fixed no question, but given that it's already four years old I'm a little nervous about spending so much repairing it.

2. Bear macrumors G3

This is a tough question. It's all about your own needs. Another thing to toss in the to the mix is how much could you sell your MBP for as a parts machine.

And could you live going from a 15" to a 13" screen. Some people can, some can't.

You also haven't said what you use your Mac for, a new Mac could improve your user experience a lot.

In the end, it's your call.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Refurbished MBA 13" is $930.

An MBP with broken screen, battery and keyboard is just the same as a MacMini, just a bit wider and flatter. Bring your own keyboard, mouse and monitor. :D If it is otherwise working, you can sell it on eBay. Or if you don't need a laptop, just a desktop computer, you can continue using it that way.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I wouldn't drop the cash into it. You best option is to get a new MacBook for portable use and use it like a Mini as mentioned earlier.

5. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2010 MBP and in your situation I would look to get another. It's still great for basic tasks and even more, but I suspect it's going to slow down more soon. It sounds like your laptop is probably worth what the repair cost is so you're right on the fence. You can always sell your current machine, someone will be willing to pick it up and do the repair and you can roll that into a new machine.