2010 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by louisa816, Nov 7, 2009.

1. louisa816 macrumors newbie

I know this is an old topic, but I am just wondering approx. when will the new MCP appear? I know it is unlikely to appear in 2009, but how early in 2010? Also what is going to be in the next-gen MCP? Will there be a new look to it? Or just same look but update in specs? How much of an undate? Any good practical guess?

I ALMOST bought a MCP today. I kind of need a laptop now, but if new MCP comes out in late 2010 Jan then I ll probably wait. :confused: What should I do? Wait or not?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Do you need it now?

If so buy one, if not wait.

3. euphuistical macrumors member

I needed a new laptop (both my laptop and desktops crashed big time, I may be able to salvage the desktop, but not sure yet) so I just got a refurbished 15" MBP. I cannot wait to get it, gonna be my first mac. Woo hoo!

Even if they come out with quadcores in 2010 in Jan/Feb that would probably be outa my price range, MBPs are relatively cheap now it seems. I got a 2.8 GHz, dedicated graphics card, (and the all important anti-glare) all in a sweet looking package for a little over 2k, which isn't bad for a laptop with those specs (including of course the "apple tax).

I'll probably upgrade the HDD to a faster one (couldn't find any refurbished models with the 7200rpm HDD), but I may wait a bit and see if they come out with anything faster in the next 6 months or so. A 500gig 10,000rpm HDD would be sexy! Or of course a nice large SSD. 256gig is just no where near enough space for me.

4. MathiasVH macrumors regular

Hi Louisa

Just wanted you to know, that we're quite many others that have the exact same question to ask. I'd be nice if we for once could get a different answer than "Buy it if you need it", so:

Does anyone have a qualified answer to what Louisa actually asks? Someone who knows pretty much how Apple most often reacts?

Kind regards
    Mathias

5. jaredwaynef macrumors member

The majority of the time when we (the populous) are able to know when a new MBP release is coming, it's within a couple of weeks of the day. No one on this forum can provide a 100% guaranteed answer to this question. If you read the other 20 threads each day that ask this same question you would find that the most "qualified" answer is, "If you need it now, get it. If you don't, wait."
    Everyone's best guess as to when the next MBP update/refresh will be is generally along the lines of anywhere from early January to February.
    Sorry your dreams of the answer of "there's a refresh tomorrow!" can't come true.
    Hope this is a "qualified" answer. :rolleyes:

6. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

And just like those many others have asked many times before, you get the same answer as those many others. No one knows, and if you want to know "speculation" then use the search button.

NO ONE has a qualified answer.
    This whole site is riddled with info about how Apple most often reacts.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Okay, now no one make anymore threads about this question. You have your answer.

7. zedsdead macrumors 68040

There is no definite answer, but likely signs point to the first quarter of 2010. As for looks, no one knows. There have been no rumors of a case redesign yet, but the iMac just went to 16x9 so there is a chance Apple may move in that direction across all of their computers.

The chipset likely will be the Arrandale processors which are dual-core but offer hyper threading for 4 virtual cores (nehalem based). Apple could also include the quad-core Clarksfield (also nehalem based).

The graphics cards are extremely old at this point, so ATI cards will probably make the next cut w/ the option to use the integrated intel graphics for the upper models to add battery life.

8. MathiasVH macrumors regular

This site is Macrumors.com. My point is that of course no one can be sure about the specs yet, but still, if someone asks in here they'll most likely know that the answers will be based on speculation and loose rumors (Mac-RUMORS.com). That's why the answer "Buy if you need it" is only relevant on www.everythingwedefinitelyknowaboutmac.com's forum ;)

Thank you, zedsdead, for what I call an answer that is useable. :)

9. haydn! macrumors 6502a

It is fair to say an update will come in the first quarter of 2010. That would be consistent with Apple's apparent 8 month cycle for the MacBook Pro - though, previous update cycles stand for pretty much nothing these days!

Actual update wise, I think most of the changes will happen under the hood, with new processor chips, possible graphics changes and most likely HDD upgrades. If there is a case design change I expect it will be very minor to accommodate different screen sizes (6 x 9) only.

10. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

^^ This is the best advice.

Yes, this is a rumour site, but we are talking about Apple, which keeps its product releases fairly close to their chest. For example, there has been years of speculation about the tablet, but nothing to base a buying decision on.

Think of it like buying a car. Every year, there will be new models with improved features and new designs. If your car breaks down now, are you going to walk until then?

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

As mentioned before, check the buyer's guide.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

13. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

MCP (Media and Communications Processor)

It's Nvidia tech = Apple will never use this with new intel hardware. Forget Nvidia MCP. The ION2 will not come with new intel processors. It's a dead end for Nvidia.

I think the thread starter meant MBP (MacBook Pro)

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its a cranky OS that will stick your ass in a computer if you're good at video games.

15. strang macrumors member

I think Apple is going to skip Clarksfield and going directly to Arrandale for its notebook line.

Clarksfield:
    i7-7xxQM 45W
    i7-8xxQM 45W
    i7-9xxXM Extreme Edition 55W

Quad-core, hyperthreading. The reason why I think Apple will skip it is the thermal envelope it requires. 45 watts is not low for a mobile chip.

Arrandale:
    i5-5xxM 35W
    i7-6xxUM 18W
    i7-6xxLM 25W
    i7-6xxM 35W

Dual-core only, but hyperthreading so you get the virtual utilization of 4 threads. The thermal envelope is lower at 35 watts. If you really spend the money the i7 UM and LM series will push the power needed even lower, perfect candidates for the MacBook Air line.

Most importantly the integrated GPU on the Arrandale will most definitely preserve the battery life. Discrete solution will probably fall onto ATI Radeon HD 4830 just like the HP Envy 15. It's a nice GPU, much more powerful than the current 9600M.

But waiting for Arrandale could take a while. We only started seeing PC notebooks based on Clarksfield and that chip was released in September. 2010 Q1 could mean sometime in March! You'll probably see something from Apple around April earliest.

The current Penryn chips that Apple is using are the P8 (25W) or T9 (35W) series.

16. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Hello Mathias,

This site is Macrumors, but we really can't predict the future. Apple is spontaneous, removing cameras from iPod Touches, removing Matte backs from iPhones.... and so on and so forth.

However, the only prediction I can give you is that they will probably come out on a Tuesday.

Cheers,

David

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I hope a new MBP comes out before the end of the year, because thats when I'm getting one :D

18. boston44 macrumors 6502

I would guess Feb of 2010, but there is no way we can know.

19. boston44 macrumors 6502

and yes, if you need it now, buy it now and you'll be happy/glad you did.

20. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

No chance. Apple has said that their Holiday Lineup is ready, meaning no more new products.

21. boston44 macrumors 6502

I know, I predict Feb 2010 after the holidays.

22. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Nooooo!!! Please not February! I can stretch to January maybe, but that's it.
    I was gonna get the 13" 2.26GHz MacBook Pro by Christmas hopefully, because I've been saving up for months now and it's just been my birthday, so I got money for that.
    But now, with the rumours of an update, I thought maybe it'd be best to leave it till January if it's not updated by Christmas. But if it were February, I might not be able to wait that long and the temptation would drive me insane. Having the money and then playing the waiting game till February... I'm sure I'd give in and get it.
    This'd be my very first (real) Mac. I love the unibody's but I'm hoping they'll see an update before Christmas.
    Maybe bring the 2.53GHz model down to being the base model. That'd be nice, having the 4GB of RAM already there...

23. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Same! Although, since it's my cash, I guess I'll be able to wait till January.
    But I hope it comes before the end of the year, so that I can get it earlier!

24. Yixian macrumors 65816

Uhhhuhuh music to my ears.

Would finally be a MBP worth the money.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

When the new one does come out do you think it will be a big upgrade or a minor one? What do you think will be upgraded? Because if I already have one I'll just upgrade it a bit maybe stick 8GB in it...