Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spandexman

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
I suspect we could implement software using sd cards and do without the disc drives. I know it is really cheap to manufacture discs and put software and movies on them but I'd pay $5 even $10 more to have a movie or a program on an sd card if it meant i could get rid of the disc drive. Maybe the air will get an sd port. Think of how much easier it would be to stock movies in an sd format and how much less it would cost to ship! The media form factor will get smaller and if sd cards were implemented Blue Ray may not be needed anymore. I am not trying to ruffle the feathers of those who own Blue Ray stuff but honestly do we really think using the same form factor as what we've used the last 20 years is a good idea anymore?
Personally as a photographer i don't have a use for an sd card port but if used for the above I embrace it wholeheartedly!

You'd pay $10 more for a film on SD card? As for using the same form factor as the last 20 years, the car, keyboard, bed, pen, mug, knife, Bicycle, sandwich seem to be doing OK, so i think i can put up with a disc for a while longer.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
my answer

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=277569

or use it for
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278303
or
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278321
or
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=405356
and for usb3
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/09/buffalo-outs-usb-3-0-expresscard-adapter-we-see-a-trend-coming/

How can having an ethernet port over an express card ever balence out? The cards available for alternate media is vast. In my opinion there is way more value to an express card. If the express port were set up for the future it may even be possible for lightpeak but i make no claims on that statement because it no doubt is a diff animal but it would kinda future proof things at least for usb3 like most would like to see.

While I agree about the express slot, I suggest removal of the SD card slot and bring back the express slot on the 15" and 17" and introduce it to the 13" MBP.

Habitus :apple:

Bosman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
You'd pay $10 more for a film on SD card? As for using the same form factor as the last 20 years, the car, keyboard, bed, pen, mug, knife, Bicycle, sandwich seem to be doing OK, so i think i can put up with a disc for a while longer.

Maybe we should bring the 8 track back too. Cassettes were great, why not? haha.

Bosman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
While I agree about the express slot, I suggest removal of the SD card slot and bring back the express slot on the 15" and 17" and introduce it to the 13" MBP.

Habitus :apple:

I'd go for that, sd can still be used with one.

marcopolo007uk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Ethernet port has to stay, loads of people use a cross over cable to connect to various routers for initial admin, also I used it daily on telecoms administration. MBP's are business tools also....

Spandexman

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
Maybe we should bring the 8 track back too. Cassettes were great, why not? haha.

You stating an obsolete technology (tapes) does not make a different technology (optical discs) obsolete. My point, which you seem to have missed, was that a technology or form factor being around for 20 years doesn't make it rubbish.

Xtreambar

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
Washington, DC
A friend of mine is a Mac technician and he saw someone who removed his superdrive and installed a second hard drive. I'd rather just lose the superdrive in favor of a second or larger battery. It would add some more weight, but I'd love to have more battery life.

topcatmg1

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
Lichfield, Staffordshire. UK
Wow the name of this post should be changed to "2010 Macbook Pros, remove the ethernet or not??" :)

Seriously though, Ethernet HAS to stay in the PRO line, otherwise Apple will be limiting their audience.

I'd like to see HDMI for sure.

Blu-ray and USB3 are great ideas, but won't happen in this half of the year.

EDIT: Blu-ray is a contentious issue, probably discuss this bit more in 2011 :)

keantan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
Penang, Malaysia
I also wouldn't mind ditching the optical drive (my only complaint with retrofitting one is the gaping hole left in the side of the case where the optical drive slot).

My ideal solution:
- Ditch Optical Drive
- Use remaining space for high capacity HDD as well as expanded battery
- Change boot disc to an SSD.

- Ship programs/media/everything else via SD Card (I really like this idea).

I'm somewhat impartial about the SD/ExpressCard slot issue as I don't use an ExpressCard. You could restore SD functionality with an SD card reader, although I do like the idea of Macs getting eSATA (which is unlikely since in the eyes of Steve Jobs, the eSATA port is ugly, look at the back of all the Macs, an eSATA slot would look out of place).

Bosman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
I just thought of The Matrix where neo gets his first taste of Jujitsu all from a little card about the size of an SD card. Pretty cool to think powerful programs on small medium like that. Isn't smaller the goal of all electronics?:D

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 317
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 320

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
really?... you all want more battery life? 7 hours isn't enough??? That's a full work day (if you take an hour for lunch... and don't eat over your MBP... it doesn't like crumbs). I don't even see this many people clamoring for the MacBook Air to have more battery life, and it's less than any other portable Mac.

When did seven hours become not enough? Do you remember the days when we were amazed that you could watch a full-length DVD movie on one charge???

ae3265

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
Do we really need Ethernet ports anymore? That space could be used for better things couldn't it? If so what do you people out there want in place of it? I mean the Airport extremes free things up so much and the speed of wireless is sick. Couldn't we do something like a dongle that the air uses for those who really want that port? I mean how many Macbook Pro owners actually want to tether their machine to an Ethernet line anyway?

On the Pro level, hell yes we do!!! My MBP also runs VM's, including my Solaris jumpstart server that I use to install clients. Ethernet is a must for me.

It's also much better when I'm copying large files across the nework, like my 50+gb VM disk files to my backup location.

Other than that, I routinely use my wired connection when I'm stable in one place for long periods of time. Wired is still more stable and faster at 1gb speeds than wireless and under heavy usage.

There are lots of reasons to keep the wire for some people. And lack of it would force me to move to another platform. It's an absolute professional requirement for me.

murano

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
San Antonio
I can imagine Apple removing the EC/34 slot on the 17" sometime soon.

I'm hoping, but don't count on it, on a pretty much this-for-that upgrade:
USB2 -> USB3
FW800 -> FW3200
Superdrive - Hyperdrive? (Blu-ray)
10/100/1000BT Ethernet -> 10Gigibit Ethernet
SDHC reader -> SDXC reader
better CPU
better GPU
more RAM
bigger HDD
higher screen res: 1680x1050 on the 15", 1440x900 on the 13"
etc.

And HDMI. I knwo Apple's Mini DVI is more advanced than HDMI, but its always nice to have one cable with both sound and video.

Winters

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
really?... you all want more battery life? 7 hours isn't enough??? That's a full work day (if you take an hour for lunch... and don't eat over your MBP... it doesn't like crumbs). I don't even see this many people clamoring for the MacBook Air to have more battery life, and it's less than any other portable Mac.

When did seven hours become not enough? Do you remember the days when we were amazed that you could watch a full-length DVD movie on one charge???

What's wrong with better battery life? Is it that fun to charge you laptop?
I'd rather not have to worry about charging the laptop so often. I can't wait until the day we won't have to charge laptops for a week or two :)
Also better battery life often means longer battery lifetime.

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
And HDMI. I knwo Apple's Mini DVI is more advanced than HDMI, but its always nice to have one cable with both sound and video.

Mini-Display Port on current MBP line is technically capable of sending audio. I believe that it is the implementation of the Mini-Display Port --> HDMI adapters that's lacking.

Cheers,

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
As with everyone, Ethernet has to stay.

I say they should remove the optical drive and instead include an optical drive (preferably Blu-Ray but we know that won't happen).
Then on the right side you have so much more space for ports, such as an e-SATA, HDMI, 3rd and maybe fourth USB, express card slot and a light peak port or upgrade to USB 3.0.
Then with whatever space you have left in the case use for a more powerful CPU and GPU along with a bigger battery.

Oh and they should adopt some sort of standard for wireless display transmission because as much as I like ports I hate cables.

adam75south

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
keep ethernet. keep the superdrive.

lose sd and firewire

add usb/esata combo port and an hdmi port

bring back expresscard for 15".

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
ill have to agree with the bossman this time....

ethernet does not need to be on the system anymore, a usb 3.0 dongle would do for gigabit or 10gb.

i would rather 3 usb 3.0 ports and scrap the ethernet but include the dongle.

but ethernet can also be a necessity in some cases, but i have a hard time finding any place here in canada without wireless, everyplace up here has it....our wendys , tim hortons , burger king , airports , truck stops.

all wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.