Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I noticed there was something loose in my computer. I could hear it if I moved the MBP. So I unscrewed the bottom cover and noticed there was a loose screw inside the case. I screwed it back into its hole. I screwed the bottom cover back on and the MBP wouldn't boot. I did nothing wrong. I took all of the precautions that one should take. I tried the PRAM and SMC reset. Didn't work. I plugged it into 2 (!) chargers and both give a very faint green light when plugged into the MBP. I pushed the battery indicator button and none of the LEDs lit up. It is under warranty with AppleCare, but my MBP was dropped a couple weeks ago and now there is a dent in the corner. The dent is a non-issue, but I'm afraid the Apple techs might try to use it as an excuse to deny service. I will make an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow. I transferred my HDD and 8GB of ram into my 2010 White MacBook, so I could retain all of my data. I put this MacBook's 250gb HDD and 2gb of ram into the MBP. Is there anything I can do. The MBP will not respond AT ALL. HELP

~ADogg

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I am so sad. I think (hope) apple will replace it, as it has had two display replacements, one topcase replacement, one HDD replacement, misc internal cable/connector replacements, one battery replacement. The list goes on.

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
i don't know too much about your situation but from what you've said it sounds like the screw may have caused a short on the board. The other thing, it could be that you accidentally forgot to plug something in when you were inside the macbook? just a thought. sorry to hear though.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
i don't know too much about your situation but from what you've said it sounds like the screw may have caused a short on the board. The other thing, it could be that you accidentally forgot to plug something in when you were inside the macbook? just a thought. sorry to hear though.

I didn't touch the cables insid the MBP. I just screwed in the loose screw. I was also thinking that the screw caused a short. This is so unfortunate :(:mad:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
If you have Applecare then they will replace it for free but if not I have to say no.

Not necessarily true. If it's obvious that the computer has been dropped (and OP said there is a dent) then they may not replace it. It's kind of a judgment call on Apple's part. If they think the drop might have caused the problem, they're not required to cover it.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Not necessarily true. If it's obvious that the computer has been dropped (and OP said there is a dent) then they may not replace it. It's kind of a judgment call on Apple's part. If they think the drop might have caused the problem, they're not required to cover it.

Fingers crossed here!:eek:

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I was planning on going into the genius bar at 4:15; 45 minutes after school, but all they had within close proximity of the time my school gets out was 3:45 (15min after it lets out) or 4:45 (1:15 after school lets out). The Apple store is approximately 20-25min away from the school, so the first choice (3:45) was not possible. I went with 4:45 for the appointment.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Wow, the coincidence. I dropped my laptop too and dented it a bit in the corner :(

How big is the dent? mine isn't really that noticeable, and can be covered with a sticker (which is what I did). I sent my laptop for repair (battery) and they had no problem fixing it. I need to send it again for a dead pixel, so I'm hoping they'll fix it too

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
The genius tested it with 3 power supplies. None worked. He came to the conclusion that the logic board is dead. He gave me the option of having the store do the repair, which would take about 10 days or they could send it out to a repair center and the repair center would ship it to my house. I chose the second option.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
ScreenShot2011-10-31at23419PM.jpg

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I got home from school and noticed a huge brown box on my doorstep. I noticed it was addressed to me from Apple. I immediately knew it was my MBP. I took it inside and opened it. I looked at the repair report, and it appears as if they replaced the display assembly, topcase and logic board. The display assembly was replaced for a "Camera Image/Detect issue". The Main Logic Board 2.4Ghz was replaced for "No Power/No Light". The top case was replaced for a "Power Button Issue." Looks brand new! No more dent from the drop!

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I am so sad. I think (hope) apple will replace it, as it has had two display replacements, one topcase replacement, one HDD replacement, misc internal cable/connector replacements, one battery replacement. The list goes on.

Now with the new repair, you went through enough material to put together three macbooks o_O

You seem to be particularly unlucky with your MBP, or the repair center in your area is particularly sloppy.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Anyone remember my thread awhile back about reapplying thermal paste? Well, I reapplied thermal paste in April-ish. Obviously because Apple replaced my logic board, they removed my old thermal paste application. This means that they applied their own (******) thermal paste. I am not willing to risk applying my own thermal paste again, so I will just live with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.