2010 MBP beach balls - Common behavior

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sergus, May 22, 2010.

1. sergus macrumors newbie

I quite often see beach balls on my new MBP lasting for few seconds, especially when I start a new application. Beach balling is random. No freezes. Should I worry about this? How often can you notice beach balls on your system? Sorry for stupid questions but this is my first Mac and thank you in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

When you are opening something big, it's normal as CPU has to wait for HD to spin

3. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Hellhammer for fast reply. I notice this even when I start TextEdit or Finder.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's not normal. Try repairing permissions and verifying the disk with Disk Utility

5. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

I see this not every time but quite often.
    >Try repairing permissions and verifying the disk with Disk Utility
    I already did this twice with Onyx but this did not solve the problem. I also run the system test at the startup - no problems.

6. celticpride678

Do not use Onyx for repairing disk permissions, use Disk Utility.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you tried reinstalling OS X?

It does the same though AFAIK. To get the best result, boot from the install disk and use its Disk Utility to do it

8. celticpride678

I've noticed that it doesn't always repair everything that Disk Utility does.

9. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Sounds like the same problem many others are having with their 2010 MBPs. Random hangs and beachballs for no real reason.

I think it has something to do with the hard drives. I swapped to a SSD and haven't experienced a single beachball since. (had TONS with the previous 5400rpm drive)

10. bella92108 macrumors 68000

+1 for me. Had a 5400 RPM drive that came with mine. Swapped for a 7200 cause they're cheap... still laggy\beach balls, then went to SSD and it's amazing now, no beach balls since upgrading. I got the Corsair 256gb... bout the most expensive upgrade you can do, but sure beats upgrading the RAM or anything else you can upgrade (including processor)

11. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replies. I will try Disk Utility. But this is a quite new system. Should I reinstall it?
    I also see this message in the console:
    com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[86] (com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
    com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[86] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[282]) Exited with exit code: 1

12. celticpride678

That error should not cause any slowness, but here is how to fix it:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192563

I would not completely Erase and Install the OS, but just Archive and Install it.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+1

At least for beginning. Snow Leopard has archive and install as default so to erase and install, you have to wipe the HD with Disk Utility first

14. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for good advice!!! SSD? I already spent 2000$. My wife will kill me :D

15. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. I will try to fix this problem.

Thunder82:
    >Sounds like the same problem many others are having with their 2010 MBPs. Random hangs and beachballs for no real reason.
    I did not see any freezes with my system. I run Portal with no problems. However, Portal beachballs at startup.

16. shadygrove macrumors regular

SSD = Zero Beach Balls

17. bella92108 macrumors 68000

A 2 year old Macbook 1.8ghz with an SSD will blow away the $3300 top of the line Macbookpro with a 5400 rpm available today

18. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Right, I don't mean hard freezes like where you have to hold down the power button and reboot. I mean random system hangs, like your experiencing with Portal.

There are a good number of people that have the same problem (myself included - until i got the SSD)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=912218

19. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

I am feeling a bit crazy after reading this thread. :D I re-installed the system but still have the same issue. I found that spinning balls always appear only during the start of applications, especially heavy applications like Open Office, but never in the middle. More specifically, they always appear during the cold start, after re-booting of MBP, but I do not remember if I see them on second and following runs of the same application. Today, I saw beach balls during the start of Photo Booth, Automator, Fink Commander, Portal. How often do you notice this behavior on your system? Should I bring my MBP to the Apple store?
    Recently, I compiled few applications in Fink and watched movies. Several times without any problems, no freezes, no beach balls in the middle. Temp. was around 65 - 75 C. My old HP runs at 90 - 95 during compilations and without movies.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your HD might have defective read head so yes, bring it to Apple store.

21. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

you notice a beach ball when you start finder? i never quit my finder or started up my finder since day 1 of booting up my mac for the 1st time. i see no reason to ever start or quit your finder? pretty much is there a benefit to restarting the finder?

22. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I will do this.

I noticed beach balls soon after I bought MBP from Amazon but did not worry about this. They did not appear often. Now, it is annoying and I am after 14 days period.

23. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed a beach ball in finder when I tried to open something in /sw directory for few seconds.

24. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

sorry buy i find that hard to believe, have you got any proof?

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The machine feels very responsive and it boots and opens apps in seconds. It doesn't speed up things like encoding though, it only speeds up opening things. CPU, RAM and GPU matters more when actually working on something which requires speed. SSD will make the computer to feel like new as HD is the slowest component in todays computers