2010 MP Ram: Transintl vs OWC

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by skiffx, Aug 11, 2010.

1. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Has anyone ever compared them, OWC is a little more expensive than Transintl, any reason besides them charging more? Does it make sense to go with OWC as opposed to Transintl?

2. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

OWC has a golden reputation for Mac parts, dunno about Transintl

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

4. MacSince1985 macrumors regular

Memory prices are always very volatile. OWC has lifetime warranty on memory. Great support too. I never used transintl so I can't rate them.

5. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I've bought quite a few things through OWC but not RAM. They've been great to deal with in everyway so far.

Transintl also has a lifetime warrany on thier RAM. From what I've read OWC does extensive testing of thier products so you're less likely to get something DOA.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Personally I'd go with Transintl. I've used Transintl numerous amount of times for the 06' 2.66GHz Quad mac pro, 2.8GHz 8 core 2008 mac pro (16GB), mac mini, macbook pros and they all worked fine with no problems.

Also it doesnt hurt that they have the best price.

7. cohen777 macrumors regular

Both Transintl and OWC are great. Both handle returns just fine. For example, with each company I have bought the wrong item (wrong RAM with Transintl and wrong PCI card with OWC), my mistake, and both allowed returns with no problem. Both companies are on top of the Mac. The stuff I have bought from them has never had a problem.

8. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Just received my 16 gb transintl 1333 order. Looks like they are using Micron memory on this set. Now the long wait to install it.

10. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL Im still waiting on my memory, ssd....oh and that other thing that makes the world go round :D

11. thagomizer macrumors 6502

I think OWC and TransIntl are great stores, I have ordered from both in the past...

however I have to mention that right now computermemoryoutlet.com is offering 12GB (3x4GB) of 1333MHz ECC unbuffered RAM with the thermal sensor for 453.87, and if you use coupon EM-06072010 you get an additional 10% off. Shipping is 1.99, so you are out the door for 410.47.

It's not listed in their "Apple" section, however the price difference is enough that it may be worth a try. They do have a 30-day return and they seem to get good reviews on BizRate.

http://www.computermemoryoutlet.com/Standard_DIMMs-PC3^10600_(1333MHz)_DDR3-240^pin_ECC_with_Thermal_Sensor-memory.htm

http://www.computermemoryoutlet.com/CMO16998.htm

12. newyorkone macrumors 6502

newyorkone

I'm about to order the same thing from Transintl. 16gb (8gb x 2).

I've had a nightmare of a time dealing with warranty issues for 2 Mercury elite drives that I got from OWC. Customer service that lacks common sense and they make you jump through an endless number of hoops to get a power adapter replaced under warranty that is probably worth less than $5...maybe even less than $1.

13. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i've ordered memory, hard drives, etc, from OWC for years, and they have been nothing but perfect. they test their products with a myriad of different configurations, and offer rebates if you trade in your old memory or drives. OWC really is an exceptional company.

that said, i just got off the phone with TransInternational and they were extremely nice and reassuring. They offer a lifetime warranty on their memory like OWC and their RMA process is simple and smooth. i'm gonna order 24GB from them in the next couple of days cause the price is $200 cheaper than OWC.

14. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Just to follow up on my earlier post, my memory from computermemoryoutlet.com works fine. It's unbuffered, has the thermal sensor, and each DIMM has its own serial number, just like the Apple OEM DIMMs. The chips are Samsung.