2010 quad MP's optical drive is EXTREMELY noisy...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by curvephotograph, Sep 9, 2010.

1. curvephotograph macrumors member

I've never heard anything so loud from a computer (save music), this is mainly when writing at max speed, its a very loud vibrating disk sound as though the disk is spinning off axis?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Optical drives are always loud when at full speed. Not much of a way around it. It's a cheap and easily replaced part, I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Mine is very loud too...nothing wrong with yours. Just turn up the music ;)

4. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I still remember the custom PC I built 7 years ago and the PC I had before that. Their optical drives were both really loud. I haven't received my Mac Pro yet, but I guess it's normal for desktop drives to be this loud. My MacBook Pro's optical drive was really quiet in comparison.

5. curvephotograph thread starter macrumors member

The 27" i7 iMac I sent back was so quiet, isn't it the same drive? If the slot loader is so quiet why bother with the drawer version in the pro?

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Tray-loaders are less picky about disc type. Also, the drives in the Mac Pro are full height, meaning they're cheaper and faster.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Faster comes in handy if you burn a lot of dvd/cds. They will burn at better then twice the speed of a MBP.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I take it that your a first time Mac Pro owner? :D

9. sboerup macrumors 6502

I actually think it's about half as loud as my 2008 MP drive, that thing was LOUD. 2010 is much quieter.

10. davidp158 macrumors member

I have used my 6-core MP optical drive with approximately 10-12 discs, but it has only produced strange sounds when installing software off of 2 discs (1 CD, and 1 DVD).

I've experienced this with my G5; most discs seem normal, yet a rare few discs make quite a racket. The first time it happened on my G5, I tried the disc on another machine, and it made no noise.

Why would some discs make noise on one machine, but not another machine?

11. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Don't know but I have seen osx install disks do that on mac minis> I mod a lot of them

12. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

Standard DVD drives (without special noise reducing features) are loud, that's normal. When reading at 16x, the DVDs in your drive spin faster than a hard drive! 10k+ RPM cannot be silent...

13. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I had a disc actually explode in an external DVD drive once. It sounded like someone hit my disc with a hammer. Dumped a zillion bits of disc out and the drive still works fine to this day.

14. DesignFusion macrumors member

What do you guys mean by noise. AS when I play dvd's in my new mac pro it has a rattle? almost like the disc is rubbing? ive had this with a discs ive tried is this normal ?

Its not what i expected from such an expensive computer?

15. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

The drive rattles when it is spinning slowly (around 1x speed when watching DVDs). I think this noise comes from the low motor duty cycle and is nothing o worry about.
    When the disc is spinning fast, a more wind-like noise is caused by air vortices.