2011 13" MBP owners - how long before you need a new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookPro13", Apr 21, 2011.

1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

If you just bought the 2011 13" MBP, how long do you think it will last you? How long do you think it will be before you will need to buy a new Mac?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I expect that I will need to replace my 13inch MBP in 3 years. The low end MBP's are cheaper but because of the lower specs they get obsolete sooner. The high end models tend to have a longer functional life IMO.

However, this is largely based on my personal use preferences. I know a few people who have kept their low end machines for far longer.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I think my 15" will be with me for around 4 years before I want a replacement. I just bought it when I sold my 2006 Mac Pro. I also have a 2008 aluminum macbook that was only marginally slower than the new releases up to the point that the core i processors were released. So that lasted three years, and it'll continue to go strong as our 2nd computer for the foreseeable future.

4. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

As I've had to return two 13" 2011 MBPs already due to hardware faults, something tells me I'm going to want to replace this one by the time the next revision comes out. It's a shame, but I really need to get a computer that doesn't run at 90+ degrees Celsius when performing simple tasks. As someone else has said, I think the MBP needs a redesign giving it a better ventilation system as the current design simply cannot accommodate the heat produced by the i5/i7 processors.

5. jAguero16 macrumors member

It will last me as long as it is functional. AS to the yardstick on what is functional... minimal (or acceptable lag) in terms of personal preferences and the ability to accomplish simple tasks without much hassle such as chatting, surfing the web as well as drafting up documents.

I forsee it's going to last me for at least 3 years minimum.

6. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I'm thinking my new MacBook Pro 13"i5 will last me at least 3 years. In the past with Windows machines I was replacing them every 2 years or in some cases less. I know people that have been using their MacBooks 3-4 years already, so I don't see any reason why this one wouldn't last at least that long.

7. MacCrackAddict macrumors member

I second this. The new sandybridge makes the 13" feel so much more powerful than they have before but i think there needs to be a decent redesign too. If apple change it dramatically that may cause me to buy a new one. If not, il be sticking with this for a good 2-3 years :) it does everything i need and it does it ******* well :D

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it really depends on what one uses it for. As for me, i replace mine every two years.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Until the next refresh that has a dramatic jump in something that makes it worthwhile. If the Ivy Bridge MBP yields ultra-long battery life processors, than yes, I would consider upgrading. In the case of the 2009 to 2010 MBP13, an upgrade their has minimal gain.

10. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I hope to get 4 yrs out of it. I got 6 yrs from my HP, so this one had better come close.

11. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

Most likely about 3 years, I still use my 2006 MBP with no problems...

I just replace older ones with newer ones :D

12. josh2007 macrumors member

A couple of years. Mine runs cool and easily has enough juice for anything I need to do, especially Logic Pro. The one thing I always do is increase the font size. This makes it easy on the old eyes.

13. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

To be fair, computer specs haven't mattered as much lately (4-6 years) unless you are a gamer, in which case they haven't mattered so much over the past two or so years.

The core2duo has been out for 5 years now and almost everything runs just fine on them.

14. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I refresh my Macbook Pro 13 every refresh. Gotta get the latest and greatest. I just give my old one to my family members as presents.

15. stuartfang macrumors newbie

My 2008 macbook pro, the first integrated battery unibody series with still C2D and 9400M, is still usable enough, and doesn't drag that much in performance.

What I would recommend is upgrade the ram, hard drive, and tweak it instead of replacing it every couple or years or so. It won't become complete obsolete for another 6 years, until you see 6 core CPUs in STANDARD/consumer laptops. I mean, really, that's just lol

16. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

It should last me through the next 4 years of medical school. That's the plan anyway.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

2-3 years is the plan.

My grandmother literally will NEVER buy a new computer. We gave her a PowerBook G4 in 2006 (now 9 years old) and she says things like "Isn't iPlayer rubbish? It's all slow and jittery." She'll be getting my 2008 MBP when my 2011 arrives.

18. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I had a 2010 MBP which I sold for as much as I paid it for (yes, I bought it NEW for € 200 off 2 weeks after it was released) back in October, when I bought a newly released 13" Air (same discount).
    I was planning on buying the new one and sell it in September, but I better stick with the Air until June at least, when I think they will be replaced (I really really hope they will hold on until September-October, but I highly doubt so).

Basically I tend to replace my 13" MBP every refresh (I don't lose money and I sell them quickly) but I am sooo in love with the Air this time around that perhaps I will stick with them for a while...at least until Apple makes the SSD standard on the Pro line, even though the new Vertex 3 are so awesome I'd be willing to buy a 120 GB unit, install it in the 13" Pro paired with a OWC data doubler and a standard 500 GB HD.

Cheers...

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It depends what your usage is. The actual computer will last for many years, but it may not be good enough for what you need. I'm not sure what will be down the road, but at least 3 more years for me.

Oh wait, I have a 2010 13" MBP .... same thing :p

20. mark28 macrumors 68000

The 13" Ivy Bridge will be almost 2 times faster than the 2011 13" MBP since all CPU's are quad cores.

I guess alot of people will sell their 13" 2011 MBP because of that next year. :p