2011 27" base iMac failed hard drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PapaVBnMOMO, Oct 22, 2012.

1. PapaVBnMOMO macrumors member

I purchased it in November last year so I'm still covered by applecare. When I bring it to apple store to fix it, will they let me pay a little extra and switch the hdd with an ssd? Or can I walk in with my own ssd and ask them to install it and I get some store credit for the failed hhd?

Thanks for looking.

2. MacSignal macrumors regular

My guess, in order probability:

1) You get a replacement drive that is the same capacity as before. You might get a different brand.
    2) With some allowances that are not made for the majority of customers, you pay (a lot) extra to get an upgraded Apple OEM drive.
    3) An unseasonably cool breeze blows through Hell. It does not freeze over. :D
    4) The Apple Store replaces your dead hard drive with some other not Apple OEM hard drive that you provide.

My second guess is that anything beyond a standard replacement is something that you would need to negotiate in person at an Apple store. Good luck!

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

4. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Not sure about SSD, but if you've got a Seagate 1TB the repair will be covered due to firmware issues surrounding those drives.. I think the coverage is available up to 2013..

5. PapaVBnMOMO thread starter macrumors member

can i run OSX in that setup from the external thunderbolt drive?

----------

I'm pretty sure they will replace my hard drive even if my iMac isn't covered by the recall because I still have applecare. Just want to know if I can have them replace it with an ssd instead of me having to do it myself.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yes I run my osx from t-bolt external

Attached Files:

7. PapaVBnMOMO thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info...