2011 and still no built in 3G!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aibo82, Mar 5, 2011.

1. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Built in 3G
    Anyone else miss this feature? dongles are so 2009!

2. un.titled macrumors regular

I would venture to guess the majority of users would have zero use for it, myself included.

3. electronique macrumors 6502

True that..
    Would love built in 3G... I would love just to slip in my sim card..

Although, I am thinking about getting rid of my wireless 3G service and just use my Android as a wifi hotspot.
    Only problem is I use my handset data quota.

4. aibo82 thread starter macrumors 6502

But we are getting to the point of 3g becoming just a cheep as fixed line broadband! its quicker than some coper lines!

And apple is now branding itself as a mobile device company! its not very MOBILE if you miss a major MOBILE factor as in MOBILE broadband!

its going to kill facetime if and when they support 3G! it would be so handy just to connect then breaking one of the 2! usb ports with a silly dongle!

5. un.titled macrumors regular

I understand your view, but in my situation, I have wifi just about everywhere I go everyday. Home > School > Work

I don't need a reason for Apple to add $100 to the MBP. :D

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So is the hardware on the MacBook Pros ... oh wait they updated it ;)
    That's why they have ... MiFi!!!! (no dongle :D )

7. josh1231 macrumors regular

That would be great, if you never switched cellular providers. I personally would hate to think to myself, I hate AT&T, but that's what my macbook's 3g is, so I have to keep it.

Built in 3g is so 2010, get with the act and realize 2011 is the year of the wireless hot spot. No "Dongle" required.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

There would be too many different versions if 3G was built into the laptop. Hopefully LTE will be standardized like it is in other countries and we can get that built in in the future.

9. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

Built in 3G means the consumer has their hands tied to a single carrier, or if it supports all carriers, extreme costs. Plus, then you would have people upset about signal strength because of the metal case blocking it, etc.

While it would be nice to have as an option to help appease all parties, from a manufacturing stand point it really is an all or nothing sort of thing, and market wise it is a very limited number that wants it, and it is getting less and less with every hot spot available phone sold.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Not everything is met to have built in 3G....I could definitely argue this with the MacBook Air but the pro eh...its hard to explain why I would differentiate between the two.

11. bastienvans macrumors member

It would be a nice feature to have, but for now tethering my iPhone's 3G gets the job done beautifully.

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Meh, it's not that common of a feature, and compared to the wifi I get anywhere I use my laptop, 3G speeds suck. I feel like there's a fairly small market for it, and like another poster said, that's what the MiFi devices are for. Still would be a cool feature if/when there was need for it though.

13. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

It's not a very useful feature when you think about tying Internet/data plan to just one not-so-portable device. It would be far better to share an internet connection from a phone since it's not limited in it's sharing capabilities. Also, you don't have to pay for extra hardware you may never use.

For those who really do want to share Internet with a variety of devices, I'd recommend getting a MiFi. Much more versatile in its uses, and I argue even better than sharing data from a phone because of the separate battery

14. wct097 macrumors 6502

Get an iPad. 3g blows, carriers suck, and contracts are the pits. I have no desire to own a device with built in 3g. Much rather use my phone as an access point for whatever computer I'm using, should the need arise. At home, cable is many times faster with about 1/20 the latency.

15. PUMMYUK macrumors member

Mifi is the best option at the moment if you truly need 3G data. From a reception and cost perspective, they are the way forward

16. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i really have no use.

at school/home/work i have wifi

plus living in Canada, data prices are way to high...stupid cell companies ie. Rogers - $65/month for 5gb...no thanks