Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RightRyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Clemson, SC
I've got a 2011 iMac 21.5" with the embarrassingly mentioned Radeon HD 6750M 512mb... shocker

My question is: I found software to disable my iMac screen and use an external display as primary screen. Software link:
Eun/DisableMonitor - https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor
If I disable my built in screen, will it take some of the load off, if not all off the built in gpu and dedicate it to the external display?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you disable the built-in screen, then it won't be used.
Any external display will use your 6750M graphics chip, as it is the only source for video on your iMac.
It won't be using the internal display, so that part of GPU load would not be there. But, it will still have some kind of load from whatever external display that you use.
Are you actually having a problem with the graphics chip? If so, you will still have a problem with an external display, even if you disable the internal display (it's just another output for the graphics chip, right?)
If you are not currently having a problem, then there's not much reason to be embarrassed about the Radeon chip.
(If it's not broke, don't fix it :cool: )

I thought that most problems were reported on the 27-inch iMac, not so much on the 21.5-inch (maybe I am mistaken on that)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.