2011 iMac Failing HDD Apple Email

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Oblivion426, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Oblivion426, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Oblivion426 macrumors member

2. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

I received one. Im unsure which of the three 2011 Imacs I've registered that it pertains to....

I had sent two back for screen yellowing.

-edit, check my serial number, says im eligible. Awesome. How long is this crap going to leave me without a computer for?

3. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

4. Oblivion426 thread starter macrumors member

I'm on the phone with the local Apple store right now. This is news to them. They are checking to see if they have a HDD in stock to replace mine with.

5. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

I <sigh> well f anyone can post a repair ETA estimate, I'd appreciate it.

6. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

got one to.. i'm so pissed :mad:, i gotta take this big two ton gorilla all the way to the apple store and have some teenager allegedly fix it and hope they dont scratch and try to cover it up..

They should give us some kind of coupon or discount for the inconvenience

7. jeremiaha macrumors newbie

Same with mine. I am going to ask for the top of the line model instead of having an opened computer. They can keep this one as far as I'm concerned.

8. Liquinn Suspended

This is what puts me off buying an iMac, you can't change/upgrade the HDD ;x

9. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

Would they flatout replace it? I'd almost be worried of getting another yellow screen if I demanded that... Wonder if I can convince em to add an SDD?

10. police340 macrumors regular

I was thinking the same thing although I was thinking of bring to an Apple authorized repair center and having them do it and paying for the SSD install. What do you think?

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm sorry for the affected iMac users out there. This is what stopping me from buying an iMac. I'm waiting for a redesign, no optical drive and SSD pre-installed (not BTO) It's too expensive at the moment and I don't want to do it by myself.

I will never buy a Seagate hard drive again!! What do you guys think? Is Seagate hard drive really bad? They seems to have quite a lot of problems :(

12. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

All my NAS harddrives are all Seagate. And I'm running 12 of them. No problems here.

13. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

14. chrfr macrumors 603

They won't replace the computer. You'll get a replacement 1TB disk, nothing else.

15. jeremiaha macrumors newbie

This machine is my livelihood. To have to take an entire day to drive 30+ minutes to an Apple store, wait for it to be serviced, back up all my files, re-install all my files/programs, Someone is compensating me in someway. I don't think that is too much to ask. It'd be much quicker to send me out of the store with a brand new machine. This is a fault of theirs and the hdd providers they chose, not mine. I buy something for it to work.

16. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I think Apple said HDD affected is very small right? Not even ALL iMac w/ 1TB Seagate HDD is defective, only a few of them. Although we won't know for sure whether we got one or not.

I only had my iMac four weeks ago, I backed up things with TM once a month. SO I think I'm gonna pass this one up, my iMac performs just fine since it arrived, I wouldn't risk my Mac torn apart for this small number of defective HDD. Even if Apple suggest me so and pay for everything.

And if Apple offer me something for this inconvenience, a free of charge 128 SSD installed on my iMac should suffice :D

17. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

So is Apple known for getting dust under the screen?

I'm on my third iMac after returning the first two for yellow screens. I was displeased with the quality of the iMacs then and I'm more displeased now.
    Are refunds an option? Is there any form of compensation? Doing this with a desktop is much more inconvenient than say a laptop. I say inconvenient because I dont lug 30 lb objects to and from crowded apple stores and their parking lots everyday.

18. marine0816, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

They should of least upgrade you to a 2TB just for your trouble. You can't really tell me that Apple is is not offering any incentives for the inconvience?

19. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

If I had to deal with you I'd tell you to screw off and replace it yourself. You are being compensated with free repair and a new drive, drives fail - stupid.

20. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

The majority of you are ridiculous. The compensation is replacing a drive that may never even break for FREE.

Don't be greedy.

21. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

It's compensation for the inconvenience of having to take time out of your day to take your iMac to the Apple Store or Authorized Dealer. For some, time is money.

22. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

When my car was recalled for a defect, I didn't get or expect any compensation. A free Lion upgrade would be nice for good will, however.

23. makingmusic macrumors regular

Believe me, I'm taking my computer to the local store. I bought an iMac in May and the drive failed 30 days later. I convinced them to give me a new computer rather than replacing the drive. They agreed and I set that computer up via Time Machine and then the computer died within 24 hours. I brought the 2nd computer back to the store and with the help of the Apple Tech person on the 800 number, they captured both of my systems and sent them to Cupertino for evaluation. My 3rd system is now under recall. My biggest complaint is that when the 2nd computer failed, the manager at the local Apple Store thought it was possible a faulty TM backup or the 3rd party memory. So, he asked me to not use the TM for migration and to do it all by hand (that took a week) and then he split the cost of the 8 GB of memory upgrade ($100 out of my pocket) and asked me to not use my 3rd party memory. My system has been working 30+ days without a hiccup and I added in 8 GB of RAM to put me back at 16 GB (I still have another 8 GB!).

Now I get the recall for the 3rd system! So, I guess it wasn't my TM backup or memory. Trying to get "something" from the local store to compensate my time for the install! Manager was supposed to call me today but no message. I'll call them tomorrow!

24. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

dude chill out... the imac is not a ipod, its a heavy item and Apple stores are not like McDonalds where theres one on every corner.. this thing will be a hassle to take it out of your desk space and hoping you dont break it just by getting it to the car. Then your going to be out a couple of days without a computer.. Apple needs to give us something for our trouble they made like a Gazilion dollars last quarter so they can afford it.. The iMac is not cheap, this high price item shouldnt ship defective with the Apple tax and all..

25. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Amen, my 27' i7 runs a Seagate, but for now it seems to not be in recall, I entered the serial on the website and was told as such, IF mine is recalled I will be ensuring i've documented the condition of my iMac in detail, and WILL ensure the Genius person I deal with fully understands I will not accept it back until I have both tested and documented it's condition.

A £2000+ computer should not be treat like a £299 PCWorld special you buy a 12yr old.