Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

brkr1

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Salvador-Ba
the image gets mounted like a usual disk (double click it)
go to the "disk" and edit the folder/files/whatever

you can put your target media into the target media port (USB,SD,...) format it appropriately and restore the disk image to the new media...

then you can use that media as a boot target

I think this is macOS 101, no?
It does not. I mount it like you said, but it does not let me edit anything. Right click on the mounted disk says I can only read it even with my user showing I can read and write.

I just wanna know if I copy the content and make a new folder with the files modified and then create a image of that folder things will work.. but I have already asked it 4x or more and no one answer...

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to answer!

BuKandar83

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2011
GTX 765M

Code:
    | |   |   | |   "NVArch" = "GK100"
    | |   |   | |     "NVArch" = "GK100"
    | |   |   | | |   "IOPropertyMatch" = ({"NVArch"="GF100","nubType"="NVDAgl","unmatched"="yes","NVDAType"="Official"},{"NVArch"="GK100","nubType"="NVDAgl","unmatched"="yes","NVDAType"="Official"})
    | |   |   |       "NVArch" = "GK100"

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

coops312

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all. I've managed to successfully install a K2100m in my 2011 iMac 27".

Using Opencore I can boot into High Sierra or Mojave without issue and have managed to get sleep/wake working on both.

However I'm finding booting through Opencore a bit hit and miss. I select "Catalina Loader" from the boot picker which then takes me to Opencore's boot picker.

I find if I get the boot picker with the flat white icons things generally work. However I often get the Opencore boot picker with the 3D icons (like the system), I can't get either Mojave or High Sierra to load. Mojave hangs at the grey apple screen with no progress bar, and High Sierra hangs with the progress bar at about 60%.

Appears to be random which boot picker I get, I usually need to try about 7-8 times. I've tried a few different versions of Opencore from this thread (0.5.9, 0.6.0, 0.6.2) with the same issue.

Not sure what I've done wrong here, any pointers would be appreciated.
Just reporting back on this issue. I think my problem was that I had already installed the Lilu and WhateverGreen kext files when I first set up the card. According to @herrdude's post here this can cause the boot process to hang. Unchecking these two files in the "Kernel" section of OpenCore Configurator seems to have fixed it, my iMac is booting without issue now.

Pascal Baillargeau

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2019
France
It does not. I mount it like you said, but it does not let me edit anything. Right click on the mounted disk says I can only read it even with my user showing I can read and write.

I just wanna know if I copy the content and make a new folder with the files modified and then create a image of that folder things will work.. but I have already asked it 4x or more and no one answer...

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to answer!
Is your Catalina Loader on a SD Card?

Wania

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2020
root@grml ~ # cd /lib/live/mount/medium/flash

root@grml /lib/live/mount/medium/flash # ./nvflash_linux --save ~/880m.rom

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.414.0)

Simplified Version For OEM Only

Adapter: GeForce GTX 880M (10DE,1198,1028,05AA) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

Identifying EEPROM...

EEPROM ID (1F,4401) : Atmel AT25DF041 2.3-3.6V 4096Kx1S, page

Reading adapter firmware image...

IFR Data Size : 1044 bytes

IFR CRC32 : 10CE9EBC

IFR Image Size : 1536 bytes

IFR Image CRC32 : ED340C77

IFR Subsystem ID : 1028-05AA

Image Size : 168960 bytes

Version : 80.04.E8.00.0C

~CRC32 : 4BF497A1

Image Hash : 83A6B7645F347B8FFD1F3A7FCD22EF21

Subsystem ID : 1028-05AA

Hierarchy ID : Normal Board

Chip SKU : 770-0

Project : 2053-0002

CDP : N/A

Build Date : 11/13/13

Modification Date : 11/19/13

UEFI Support : Yes

UEFI Version : 0x10028 (Nov 7 2013 @ 17238399 )

UEFI Variant Id : 0x0000000000000104 ( GK1xx MXM )

UEFI Signer(s) : Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011

InfoROM Version : N/A

InfoROM Backup Exist : NO

License Placeholder : Absent

GPU Mode : N/A

Saving of image completed.

root@grml /lib/live/mount/medium/flash # ./nvflash_linux --protectoff

Identifying EEPROM...

Setting EEPROM software protect setting...

Setting of EEPROM protect failed.

PROGRAMMING ERROR: Error: set EEPROM protection function failed

4 root@grml /lib/live/mount/medium/flash # ./nvflash_linux -6 Quadro_Beta1.2/880M_BR.rom

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Current - Version:80.04.E8.00.0C ID:10DE:1198:1028:05AA

GK104 Board - 20530002 (Normal Board)

Replace with - Version:FE.ED.00.C0.DE ID:10DE:1198:1028:05AA

NVIDIA GeForce GTX880M by nikey22 (Normal Board)

Update display adapter firmware?
Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort): y

Identifying EEPROM...

Executing automatic disable of EEPROM write protect...

Disabling of EEPROM write protect failed.

NOTE: Exception caught.

Nothing changed!

PROGRAMMING ERROR: Error: set EEPROM protection function failed
4 root@grml /lib/live/mount/medium/flash # :(
can't flash GTX 880M, has anyone had similar situation? previously I did the same with the K2100M, K4100M and K5000M there were no problems

Banarne357

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
can't flash GTX 880M, has anyone had similar situation? previously I did the same with the K2100M, K4100M and K5000M there were no problems
I had the exact same issue with my 780m, it had an Atmel AT25DF021 chip, and NVflash was unable to remove the write protect to flash it. It was in a UDFN package, so I couldn’t use my programming clip on it.
In the end, I ordered new chips from a different vendor (PM25LV020) that I programmed off-board, desoldered the Atmel chip from the 780 and soldered the new PM chip on it.

I thought my bios chip was bad somehow, but maybe NVflash just doesn’t like AT25 series chips?

Reactions: Wania

Banarne357

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
will NVflash program a clean PM25LV020 chip soldered to the card's board?
I don’t know, I programmed mine in an external flasher to not risk having any more NVflash issues. I used one of these:

Reactions: Wania

Cristi1978

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
For Nvidia Users booting with OpenCore(k1100M/k2100M/ETC)/ native booting K3100M/K4100M & 780M

I have Updated the ApplebacklightFixup.kext to include the proper Backlight stepping-levels for the 2009-2011 27" iMac. You can replace the one in your OpenCore loader with this or install it Natively to System/Library/Extensions. This actually makes my Previous guide irrelevant unless you really like the Native Kext feeling.

Lilu.kext will be needed for the kext to be listed as 'loaded' but it's still working for me without it.
Usual Verbiage below....
If installing to System/Library/Extensions. Catalina users need to Unlock their System Partition using Hackintool first. Then install with Kext Utility. Finally Open Terminal and enter "sudo reboot" as sometimes Catalina will hang on the Desktop.
I get no metal support on Mojave, only on High Sierra. Anyone knows why?

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
have you tried newer versions on nvflash for linux? I think I have some newer around, don't know if I can post it here...

astuermer

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2020
Austria
I used the second time Gelid CG extreme, it's equivalent to Grizzly Kryonaut in terms of heat conductivity, after using before MX4. there was a gain of maybe 8, 10 degrees, it's amazing. And obviously K5-pro on ram and VRM chips. You surely will have a good gain on temps.
So yesterday I disassembled my iMac again to clean the CPU and GPU and put some Grizzly Kryonaut on it, also some K5 Pro on the chips of the GPU. What can I say... 5°C difference :) I can really recommend those two from Post No. 1!

I thought this would help making a Catalina install more stable...
Sadly the installation of Catalina with dosdude's patcher still crashes multiple times - reason here was:
Code:
panic(cpu 3 caller 0xffffff800ba4c32a): Kernel trap at 0xffffff800bf98054...
Last loaded kext was com.apple.driver.DiskImages.SparseDiskImage
Last unloaded kext was com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBUHCI

If it works after 5-10 tries the system is very unstable even after installing the Kexts.

I did a Hardware test today too where one error - TH00-9.000 - occured. That's the HDD/SSD sensor where the fan doesn't get a correct temperature. But since High Sierra and Mojave are working like a charm I don't think that can be the culprit :)

Or did I miss something when flashing the Kexts?
  • AppleGraphicsControl 10.15.7
  • 4x AppleIntelHD3000*
  • 2x AppleIntelSNB*
  • AppleMCCSControl
  • IOSurface
  • LiLu
  • WhateverGreen

I also tried with/without LiLu and WhateverGreen together with Catalina Loader. With the same results.

Last edited:

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
iMac middle 2011, i7 3,4 Ghz, nvidia quadro k3100
Go to the first post on the first page and read carefully the comments about installing Mojave. Follow them step by step and do not install the Legacy Video patch. If you already have installed it reinstall Mojave completely. User data will be preserved unless you delete your internal disk.

Reactions: Cristi1978

Cristi1978

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
Go to the first post on the first page and read carefully the comments about installing Mojave. Follow them step by step and do not install the Legacy Video patch. If you already have installed it reinstall Mojave completely. User data will be preserved unless you delete your internal disk.
Thank you for the tip, it worked!

Cristi1978

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
One more thing, should I update the system if I'm asked?

Vaoske

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2020
K3100M
/usr/sbin/ioreg -l | grep NVArch

| | | | | "NVArch" = "GK100"

| | | | | | "IOPropertyMatch" = ({"NVArch"="GF100","nubType"="NVDAgl","unmatched"="yes","NVDAType"="Official"},{"NVArch"="GK100","nubType"="NVDAgl","unmatched"="yes","NVDAType"="Official"})

| | | | "NVArch" = "GK100"

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
One more thing, should I update the system if I'm asked?
Move over to this thread for Mojave on unsupported machines and possibly search this thread (look above there is a search field where you can limit the results to a certain thread) before asking.

Answer: Yes, and do all updates, before installing the sleep extensions. Otherwise you will do this again and again and again!

Last edited:

PsychoSync

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2020
Hi

Just dropping by to report another successful GPU upgrade and to thank the people who made/maintain this thread, really useful stuff in here!

My iMac is a 27" 2009 i7 with dead 4850. I was able to use it in safe mode as an external monitor. I just wanted to have a functioning iMac with TDM and don't really care if the gpu is not a 3D powerhouse so i went with the cheapest: K610M. When reading through the first post where is says that no heatsink modification is required i naively thought it would be a simple drop-in replacement but there is some fiddling to do to make the new card make contact with the heatsink. I know it has probably been discussed in details somewhere before but just in case it has not... The K610M gpu chip is lower than the 4850 so like i read elsewhere i needed to have a 1mm shim so that the chip makes contact. I did not have any copper shims and did not want to wait so what i ended up using is the heat spreader from an old i'm-never-gonna-use-it-ever Pentium 4 processor. I just de-lidded the cpu and put the heat spreader on top of the gpu chip making sure to put thermal paste between the heat spreader and the chip and then on top of the heat spreader. It was a perfect fit. Then the memory chips i put a lot of K5 Pro on top to make sure it made contact. There are 2 memory chips on the same side as the gpu chip and 2 others on the other side. I did not put anything on the chips located on the back side, i guess i should order small heatsinks and stick them on?

The flashing process went really well. The Linux boot drive i tested before to familiarize myself with the menus and interface then i swapped the gpus and logged in by ssh from the MacBook. A few commands later and my iMac is finally back on its feet, i mean on its foot. TDM works but switching back by pressing CMD-F2 does not. OpenCore with Catalina Loader 0.6.2 installed along with RefindPlus just in case i mess something up with OC config i can always boot normally through ReFind. Brightness controls works if i use CL 0.6.0 but max brightness is too dark. It does not work with CL 0.6.2 using config.NVIDIA.plist (renamed to config.plist), and i replaced the AppleBrightnessFixup with the one attached in the Catalina Loader download post.

chrisx78

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2016
Read post #1 and the possible hardware problems you might face after such an operation. Bad installation, bad card. There is no known "incompatible" version of the K2100M. 100% of the cards reported here are Dell or HP spare parts. Of course you can be the first having a card with unknown memory and timing ... more probable you are the last in a longer becoming line of people with a hardware problem.
I have read the post 1 several times and try 2 different cards, the 3th card work without any issues. So i guess, ther is some cards the can not work. the mecanical overstress, open the screws, plugin the card... open again its not so good for my nerves and the housing of the iMAC. So i have try to find an adapter PCIe to mmx:
My idea: I know, I get no screen on a display, but I should see in the device manager Windows as a 2nd graphics card, or in linux as a second graphic device. Maybe it is possible to flash the card in a normal windows PC, too?
After success, i can mount the card in an iMAC..?

Reactions: Pacific1972

Pascal Baillargeau

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2019
France
All users of NVIDIA cards:

Please let this command /usr/sbin/ioreg -l | grep NVArch run in your Terminal app and post result back only if it is different adding your specific card.

The 780M returns:

Code:
me@iMac  % /usr/sbin/ioreg -l | grep NVArch
    | |   |   | |   "NVArch" = "GK100"
    | |   |   | | |   "IOPropertyMatch" = ({"NVArch"="GF100","nubType"="NVDAgl","unmatched"="yes","NVDAType"="Official"},{"NVArch"="GK100","nubType"="NVDAgl","unmatched"="yes","NVDAType"="Official"})
    | |   |   |       "NVArch" = "GK100"
me@iMac  %

Thanks in advance!
GTX880M

Attachments

• Capture d’écran gtx880m.png
    Capture d’écran gtx880m.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 95
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.