2011 iMac. Same Price. Less Features.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Moz316, May 3, 2011.

1. Moz316 macrumors newbie

Can somebody confirm this for me? The 2011 27" iMac will NOT allow me to use the display for my Macbook Air, Xbox, PS3 or MiniDP PC?

What kind of crap is this? Does anyone know if any adaptors are in the works?

2. gooddog macrumors regular

I Told You So ---- glossy POS

Same garbage ---- REAR-VIEW iMac ---- grrrreat color in the 2/3 of the screen not ruined by reflections from everywhere.

Apple ruins another iMac line.

And they wonder why iMac sales are down.

Idiots.

3. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

The feature is still there. I'm using it right now.

4. Moz316 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really?

Are you serious? Its a big feature I wish to have.

Can I ask what you have plugged into your Just Released iMac?

5. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

6. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Is it really still there? Because this article said this:

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

8. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

I think Target Display Mode is something else? Besides, you've got a machine that can play games much better then the Xbox 360 or PS3 will.

9. Hexley macrumors 6502a

10. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Personally I don't need it for gaming, I'd use the machine itself for graphics design, and hook up my MBA to use it for programming. If I can't do that, the new iMacs are not for me…

11. Moz316 thread starter macrumors newbie

No.

Maybe your right, I should take a page out of your book.. Bend over and take what's given to me.

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

That's funny, because I could have sworn they said that Mac sales were up 28% this quarter over last and they didn't mention anything about iMacs doing poorly. It's almost as if you have just made this fact up.

13. hhaydenn macrumors regular

2012 iMacs, coming with rear facing 1080p HD camera.

14. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Well you can just play those games on your Mac with much better graphics, especially with the second best mobile graphics card on the market :D

15. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

With all due respect (and speaking as someone who would very much like to connect his PS3 up to the 2011 iMac) you're wrong. The 2011 iMac is cheaper (at least here in the US) and offers more features. Specificaly:

* Quad core processors as standard
    * Two thunderbolt ports
    * Can drive two external monitors rather than one
    * HD Camera

Now I understand you being annoyed at loosing the HDMI > Mini DisplayPort capability but from a quick read around this seems unavoidable thanks to the changes needed to support Thunderbolt. Wait a few weeks and see if anyone starts working on new adaptors but, sorry, that thread title is just plain wrong.

16. Moz316 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand what your saying. But the points you gave are just the evolution of computers. I'm talking about a feature that was there.. But now isn't. It's no different to Sony taking OtherOS out of the PS3.

Ah well. I'm sure someone is working on an adapter.

17. tulsamal macrumors newbie

But whether that is significant depends on the user. I've never used that feature and don't expect that I would. So that difference is insignificant to me. On the other hand, a faster computer with a faster method for I/O IS significant to me. So I see "the same price with more features!"

Gregg

18. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Apples growth comes at a price. I don't believe they intentionally do anything to upset customers, yet its happening.

I don't see anything of consequence, other than steadily declining quality.

Given some time I think Apple will gradually bring good quality
    back.

19. melb00m macrumors regular

It actually is a lot different than that. Sony took the ability to use OtherOS from the exact same (physical) hardware you've been using that feature on before. This is not the same with the new iMac, that's new hardware.

If you're arguing like that, any computer that doesn't have a serial or LPT printer port anymore today would be a ripoff, because in the past that feature was already there.

Just wait and see what happens, my bet is Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters will be available very soon.

20. rew4946 macrumors newbie

rear facing camera

So I can look out a windows if located there? Or I can look at the pretty wall and the wires in back is i need to see the conections

21. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

So, was this guy just confused or lying or...?

22. angryshortguy macrumors member

recommendation: Hold off buying that new iMac

The new iMac has a lot going for it,
    Faster processor, better graphics, Thunderbolt, HD camera...
    But these come at a price.
    No ability to swap out the hard drive and no Thunderbolt peripherals or cables.
    The hard drive has a proprietary cable (7 connections instead of 4) and the drives are running proprietary firmware. Try replacing it and your fan runs at full speed all the time. There are other issues as well.
    So, no upgrades and no replacing the drive on your own if it dies.
    Also remember that when Apple came out with their USB and FireWire connections, it took a year for the cables and peripherals to finally become available.
    So if any of these "omissions" are important to you, hold off until someone has a fix.

23. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

ha ha ha ha ha ha... I guess you do not know what a Xbox 360 or PS3 is.... or you play just one or two games.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

what just pop the console game into the Imac.... yeah that will work. OR visit the local games store and browse through the latest game release... for a MAC??? I think your confusing an Imac for a dedicated Gaming PC running SLI/Crossfire. Your second best MOBILE processer is not going to tickle the 360 or PS3 especially at the resoultions it has to support on a 27" imac.

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Can't believe the amount of people that think the 2011 Imac is a better gaming machine then a 360 or PS3.. wow

Anyway, in regards to your question.

In order to plug in a 360 or PS3 you will need
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0360LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

You need a converter.

Now as for an MBA or PC with a miniDP.... they should work. You just need a cable. On my 2010 imac its just CMD + F2 I believe, I use it all the time from my PC, which runs a 5970.

If the new iMacs were not support this I would be very surprised. Actaully I would be pissed off, casue I could care less about thunderbolt, but I use targert mode all the time.