2011 iMac SSD+HDD -- looks like my SSD is a dud

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrfoof82, Jun 25, 2011.

1. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Before anyone asks, yes, I've a ticket open with AppleCare on this one.

I've been experiencing intermittent filesystem corruption. Now, there is a chance that this *could* be a firmware issue. Not sure yet. This actually had to be escalated to engineering level support, so I won't get a response back until as long as Wednesday. I had to submit a fair number of logs and system data with Apple's Capture Data utility.

As a fun aside, the filesystem corruption "mysteriously disappears". For example, it may be detectable while the volume is mounted and I'm in OS X, and then it's undetectable while booted off the restore DVD to attempt to use Disk Utility there. And vice versa.

I ended up calling AppleCare after noticing some serious wonkiness with Time Machine, where it always wanted to process 24,000 or so files before it would backup any number of files (including zero). There were also some cases where certain apps were completely incapable of launching, or file I/O came to a standstill. So I'm about 8 weeks after placing my original order... and I still effectively don't have an iMac in my hands (that's problem free).

Attached Files:

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Whoa .. that is hurt.

The problem with BTO iMac is you cant get replacement as soon as standard configuration iMac. They dont available in store :(

So much for being BTO .. I hope Apple take care of your SSD problem soon, man

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

when you get it replaced try keeping windows on the hdd and not the ssd.

4. mrfoof82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Windows is only for when I want to play games. Right now, I actually have a contractual obligation to play one game because I'm doing consulting for the developer -- load times are rather long, and the hardware requirements aren't minuscule to begin with. The SSD has made a tremendous difference in load times and I'd prefer not to deal with the comparative sluggishness of the HDD.

5. SamuraiArtGuy macrumors regular

SamuraiArtGuy

That's rather a disturbing shame, especially since Apple has been positioning the high end iMac w SSD as the "Power Mac for Most of Us." I don't know if data corruption issues on SSD's are more common or more sever than on traditional HDs, but they sure enough are different. :confused:

Welcome to the bleeding edge.

6. mrfoof82, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

mrfoof82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSD is toast. Certainly got a dud. Cannot be repaired off the install/restore DVD. Looks like I'm calling Apple in the morning to hurry my ticket along. This is why I always have solid backups (Time Machine and a manual copy).

UPDATE: It's going back in the infamous CAPTURE box. New one will be shipped out. Eventually. Ugh.

7. basher macrumors 6502

basher

How's the replacement working?