Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techhead42

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
I have had a perfectly quiet iMac for 3 days, until tonight. It's now got the dreaded grumbling hard drive, and boy it is annoying.
Looks like a call to Applecare tomorrow, ******. I would have thought Apple would have sorted this problem out by now!!!!

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
I have had a perfectly quiet iMac for 3 days, until tonight. It's now got the dreaded grumbling hard drive, and boy it is annoying.
Looks like a call to Applecare tomorrow, ******. I would have thought Apple would have sorted this problem out by now!!!!

how should they sort that out ? apple is not making the HDD's , they only buy them from the cheapest source they can possibly find and where they get the biggest discounts..and that the HDD is fitted in a unibody enclosure (called iMac) thats out of metal and in ear hight does not really help keeping the HDD
quiet and spotlight is indexing every day a bit more which doesn't help either

Last edited:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
how should they sort that out ? apple is not making the HDD's , they only buy them from the cheapest source they can possibly find and where they get the biggest discounts..and that the HDD is fitted in a unibody enclosure (called iMac) thats out of metal and in ear hight does not really help keeping the HDD
quiet and spotlight is indexing every day a bit more which doesn't help either

Fella's got a point. Spotlight loves a little chow down, now and then. Especially later on. I like to do a OS reinstall every 6 months or so, keeps it ticking over a little more neatly.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Mine has it too (late '09 Core 2 Duo iMac). I just ignore it. The performance is fine. It really sucks though that Apple has not addressed that issue. I guess they'll address it in the next refresh, which will be a redesign. By then, we'll probably have SSDs standard.

SkippyScud

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
USA
Mines on a glass table top with metal frame legs. Trust me, you got nothing on mine when it gets hungry and 'grumbles'

techhead42

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Just an update.
I rang Applecare this morning and they will be sending me out a new iMac to replace my grumbling hard drive and hair under the glass iMac. They are also allowing me to hold onto my Imac until the new one arrives.
Although the outcome is uncertain until I assess the condition of the new one, I am extremely happy with the way Apple has handled this matter. I'll update with the results.

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
See if this temporarily resolves it.

Lift up your iMac (gently) while it is running (I stress gently.)

If the noise goes away, something is afoot inside the machine.

Glad Apple is replacing it for you.

My iMac with the bum RAM slot had that happen as well. Hope the new one doesn't exhibit that.

techhead42

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
See if this temporarily resolves it.

Lift up your iMac (gently) while it is running (I stress gently.)

If the noise goes away, something is afoot inside the machine.

Glad Apple is replacing it for you.

My iMac with the bum RAM slot had that happen as well. Hope the new one doesn't exhibit that.

I tried as you suggested by no change. I have read a lot about this 'grumbling HDD' in the 2010 model.
My iMac was completely silent at the beginning, it only became noisy yesterday. I have no idea why apart from the fact I was moving a large file (15GB) and it was noisy after that. That was the hardest I'd pushed the iMac since I'd had it. Maybe that had something to do with it, I have no idea.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.