2011 iMac Temperatures and Fan Speeds

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MythicFrost, May 10, 2011.

1. MythicFrost, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey everyone,

Please read this entire post before replying, thank you. 2011 iMacs ONLY.

I think it would be great to have a reference for all 2011 iMac temperatures (in celsius) and fan speeds, so I've created this thread.
    Can you post both your idle and/or load temperatures (both is preferable) for your 2011 iMac (in celsius). To get the information use the iStat Nano widget for Dashboard which you can get for free here: iStat Nano

In iStat Nano, get the temperatures from the “Temps” option and the fan speeds from the “Fans” option. You don’t need anything else. You can change the temperature to display in celsius if it isn't already by clicking the “i” at the top right. Example image here.

You can get your hard drive information (i.e: 500GB Hitatchi (HDS7222020ALA330)) from System Profiler in the “Serial-ATA” tab. You want the capacity and the model.

Please only use the format below for simplicity and clarity.

Format: (put quote tags around it) (these aren't real results btw):
    Just copy and paste this placeholder below and fill in your details: (exactly as above please, if you don't know something, ask how to find out first, and then post with the correct details)
    (Make sure you put quote tags around your results)

Definitions of Idle and Load (in this specific test): (quoted for easier reading)
    Using a game over a stress test should result in only real world results, which is preferable.

Example games: Eve Online, WoW, Team Fortress 2, Counterstrike: Source, Left 4 Dead 1 or 2, Portal, Portal 2, Torchlight. Games like Plants vs Zombies don’t count. Flash games don’t count. Please make sure to list the game you used.

Final words:
    It's preferable to post idle and load temperatures at the same time in one post. So, please log either your idle or load temperatures (it doesn't matter which you do first) in a text document and save it to your desktop and then log the other one, and then post here in the above format. It doesn't matter if you say, do the idle test today, save that data in a text document, and then do the load test several days later. Just post both at the same time please.

2. MythicFrost, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Here’s the perfect example (these aren't real results btw):

Hi, here’s my results:
    (You would mention at the bottom right here, if you were using smcFanControl to force fan speeds to a specific speed)

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Dang, 60 is pretty hot for a HDD. Was that just arbitrary numbers or actual results?

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Both results I listed weren't real results. Just fake examples. I've clarified that above. My HDD is actually 60c though, lol -.-

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yikes. Thats the max temperature for most HDDs.

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Haha, yeah, yikes indeed :p

7. G4er? macrumors 6502a

And this is a big reason why so many of us want Apple to build the xMac. A bigger case which will allow more space between components so that heat won't be a worry.
    I was close to getting a mini but now with an internal power supply that is just one more heat source packed in tight against everything.

When I started using Macs people bought them because they worked, not because they were packed like a can of sardines and were fashion statements.

Apple,
    I'd pay $1500 for a mid sized computer that isn't an all in one that holds 2 hard drives plus an optical drive and has room around the parts so heat wouldn't be a concern.

I don't need the horsepower or the price of the $2499 Mac Pro just to have some peace of mind.

8. archer75, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

archer75 macrumors 65816

I played for a little bit to get the temps up. I have seen the GPU peak at 83 yesterday but the ambient temps were also higher then.

Fan speeds aren't changing. I wish I could change their RPM's based upon certain temps.

9. CBGFilms, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

CBGFilms macrumors regular

Here are the results for my system:

10. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks to both of you, that's great. It looks like the 2011 models really don't rev up their fans at all.

11. bakura macrumors member

I have nearly the same temps on my iMac 27' i7 3,4 GHz. However the back of the computer is quite hot, even idle. Well, they told me it was perfectly normal and was the main goal of aluminium, however it's quite scary when you're not accustomed to that ^^.

12. sth macrumors 6502a

That's not too bad. I expected way worse temperatures.

13. patp77 macrumors member

Noticed the same thing with my 2009 i7. I swear you could cook an egg back there but then, it seems like that's the point of an aluminum case... Acts as a heatsink for the entire computer and gets heat out from the limited space inside. The 27" just gives more area to disperse heat.

14. bakura macrumors member

I only have idle temperatures for the moment (unless heavy use of Aperture can be considered as load ?) :

This iMac is not as quiet as I thought (well, it's very quiet, but I expected more), I can hear one of the fan quite easily. The HDD is not the most quiet one too (maybe the Seagate is more quiet ?), but I kinda like this noise so no problem for that :p.

15. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Haha no I'm afraid it doesn't, but thanks for your post :)

(If you do add load temperatures, etc., can you try and remember to edit that post above so we have them in one place, don't worry if you don't though, cheers.)

16. Kwicks, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

Kwicks macrumors newbie

Here my temps

*because of bad S.M.A.R.T. status of my SSD

I think my optical fan is a bit noisy under load. After replacing my optical drive with the ssd, I placed the fan sensor on top of the optical bay (case of my ssd).
    But in idle mode everything seems normal.
    Does the optical drive fan cool something else than the optical drive? Why is this the only fan with (much) more RPM under load compared with the CPU or HDD fan?

Update:
    My optical fan goes up to 3124 RPM playing Starcraft II. Does anyone know if this might be caused by my sensor placement? The temps of the components are not that high.

Update 2:
    I replaced my optical fan sensor to a cooler spot in my iMac. Now i am on 38 degree with 999 RPM in idle mode. Hope that the optical drive fan is not that important because i think i will not break the 1000 RPM because of this placement ;) Anyone knows what else than the optical drive this fan should cool?

Update 3:
    OK, i think this solved my "problem". After about 20 minutes SC2 iam on 1461 RPM with my optical drive fan (45°). iMac remains pretty quiet.

17. 50548 Guest

Again, it IS supposed to be hot - this is the very function of aluminum as a heat dissipating material. It would be a problem if it were NOT hot, actually...:rolleyes:

18. G4er? macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's a heat sink. But if the outer edge of the heat sink is so hot that you can't touch it then maybe the heat sink isn't big enough.

19. imahawki macrumors 6502a

27" iMac, 3.4Ghz i7

The heat is also quite a shock to me as I'm just not used to using the case as a heat sink coming from the PC world. When I'm converting movies I can't hold my hand on the top of my screen for more than a couple seconds.

Attached Files:

20. marban macrumors newbie

marban

can you elaborate on which position you used for the sensor and what ssd you're using? thanks

21. Kwicks macrumors newbie

sure.
    I attached an image where i placed the sensor. (original image copyright ifixit.com)
    This was the best place i found and the fan behaves quite normally.

Attached Files:

• imac.jpg
      imac.jpg
      File size:
      74.9 KB
      Views:
  22. omvs, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

omvs macrumors 6502

Optical drive swapped out for a OCZ Agility 2 (hence the extra SSD temp). My optical drive sensor is stuck to the case of the SSD in roughly the same position as it was on the superdrive.

My load-example uses two processes - WoW to max out the CPU, then a popcorn video transcode to stress out the CPU - I wasn't getting enough CPU out of just WoW (76%), but with the two I'm getting 350-375%

Not sure why I don't have GPU diode, but i do have power supply 2 - maybe because I'm using iStat pro?

23. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

ScreenSize, CPU, GPU, HDD
    Idle temperatures: Ambient: 20 — HDD: 62 — CPU: 55 — GPU Diode: 55— GPU-Heat-sink: 50 — Memory Controller: 0 — Optical Drive: 0
    Idle fans: CPU: 1800 RPM — Hard Drive: 1300 RPM — Optical Drive: 1200 RPM

Load temperatures: Ambient: 30 — HDD: 68 — CPU: 70 — GPU Diode: 90— GPU-Heat-sink: 85 — Memory Controller: 0 — Optical Drive: 0
    Load fans: CPU: 1900 RPM — Hard Drive: 1500 RPM — Optical Drive: 1250 RPM
    (Tested with: Half-life 2 Episode 2 all settings on highest native res)

24. qap macrumors 6502

qap

My temperatures during normal usage, I'm watching TV, browsing internet, twittering etc…

Attached Files:

25. bakura macrumors member