2011 Mac Mini no-likey 5m DVI cable

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by stab, Mar 22, 2012.

1. stab macrumors newbie

Weird voodoo is happening connecting 2011 Macmini to Dell u2410.

My old 09 Macmini connects to this Monitor with a 5m dvi cable and mini-dvi adapter no worries.
    If I use the very same cable with either the minidisplayport>dvi OR the hdmi>dvi adapters to my 2011 Macmini it doesn't work - no picture at all.

I thought I must have a faulty Mac so I reset the smu and pr ram rang Apple, got it check out at a local dealer and its all good!

I'm now guessing its something to do with the way the 2011 Macmini talks to the 5m DVI cable.

I thought a straight 5m hdmi cable might be an alternative but when I plug in a 2m I had at home I get a nasty grainy image on the u2410 - so I'm guessing this isn't an option.

Any thoughts on a solution to this dilemma will be greatly appreciated!

2. philipma1957, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

plug in that 2 meter hdmi cable and go to system perferences go to displays and check your resolution settings. I have a sony tv as a monitor so 1080p is the best setting for me. in your case 1920 by 1080 may be the choice. I am guessing the grainy picture means you are set on 800 by 600 or some other low resolution

Attached Files:

3. Skoopman macrumors 6502

I use a 5m HDMI-DVI cable with no problems. The adapter might be the problem.

4. posguy99 macrumors 6502

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Cable_length

5. tqmcguire macrumors member

I second the thoughts on the adapter. For whatever reason they're a little dodgy. I went through two of them in 2 months before finally giving up on them.

6. stab thread starter macrumors newbie

So getting a 5m hdmi to dvi might be the go. Going to the monitor settings was the first thing I did - I tried every possible display setting change both on the mini and the monitor with every cable combination and it made no difference; couldn't see a damn thing. hdmi to hdmi seems to only work with TVs; reading from other forums it seems that the macmini assumes that doing this means you are plugging into a tv and it adjusts some setting to make this happen (and it was confirmed when I went to system profiler where under displays it says Television).

I just don't want to buy another cable and be stuck with it if it doesn't work.

7. stab thread starter macrumors newbie

8. stab thread starter macrumors newbie

On another forum they said that dvi-d has a max length of 2.5m...

9. stab thread starter macrumors newbie

Hdmi > dvi cable has done the trick. Thanks all for advice. Lesson learned... Better quality cable needed for long distances.

10. Talon Six macrumors member

And of course no one would bother putting it on the internet if it wasn't accurate...:D