Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanok

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Old response for an older computer :D

I know this post is a bit old but I read many of the comments because I too have a Mac Mini at home although my friend has basically oft it here for over a year because he doesn't use it for anything but .app development.

Anyway To The Topic,
I have begun bitcoin mining which if you don't know why that's relevant here's a clue: Bitcoin Mining is decryption and calculations of giant blocks of code, these codes once complete are sent in to the bit coin network. A bit coin is 520$ right now and bit coin mining is RIDICULOUS on your hardware. My CPU was going to 90C so I grabbed iStat Menus to max the fan at 5000rpms or so to cool it down to 66C. Bit Coin mining uses your CPU and GPU to "Decode" or "Decrypt" blocks and uses a fair amount of internet to transfer the code.

Even more back to point and concluding,
My point was shifted because of thought distraction but I will say one thing about over-heating. My 27" iMac late 2012 heats up for very little reason other than its such a thin and claustrophobic design for the hardware. I took the display off my little 2005/2006 iMac and use an external monitor just because I like to understand how different parts work more because I'm hands on. So I would have to say heating up comes from: Stupidly tight casing (So most apple products (Not going against apple love their products)), perhaps less responsive fans, Over use of the hardware (Downloading 24/7, Gaming high graphic-ed games, constant use and sure things like bit coin mining which forces CPU and GPU to work at 100%.) and finally claustrophobic parts. :D Good day my 2cents.
-Tmanok

mr2u

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2015
tmanok, finally an intelligent response

Its time Apple admitted its failing and they are enormous when it comes to heat dissipation. A well designed machine runs just a little above ambient, at least under low stress workloads.

Solution: Take off that cover of the Mini. That will help. Then, replace their toy fan with something real. Make it a 120mm fan and experiment with running it at different speeds. 5, 7 and 12 volts are the typical options. You can use an AC adapter if you want. Blast the board with a 120mm fan at high speeds (12 volts) and mount it in a column so you don't hear it. Heat rises so use that principle.

LCB1980

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
Scotland, U.K.
My i5 2.5 is running around 194f.

Handbraking... fan is screaming at 4228rpm

I have terminal open so I can purge ever so often... I'm more concerned about my RAM issue then a heat issue right now though.

my mac mini 15 is runing around 89-95C
Handbraking .. fan is 5580 rpm and 97C...very noisy :eek:

When you are using Handbrake is Handbrake taking data from the DVD at the same time? I found when doing it that way (on a MacBook Pro) that it got rather hot and the fan was screaming it's balls off. I now use MakeMkV and the SuperDrive doesn't spin up anywhere near as fast as Handbrake would make it. I also never hear the fans running. However, when Handbraking the MKV files the fans do spin up a little, but not much.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Its time Apple admitted its failing and they are enormous when it comes to heat dissipation. A well designed machine runs just a little above ambient, at least under low stress workloads.

Solution: Take off that cover of the Mini. That will help. Then, replace their toy fan with something real. Make it a 120mm fan and experiment with running it at different speeds. 5, 7 and 12 volts are the typical options. You can use an AC adapter if you want. Blast the board with a 120mm fan at high speeds (12 volts) and mount it in a column so you don't hear it. Heat rises so use that principle.

The 2011s have been out for 4 years now and there has been no report of wide spread failures. So if 4 year old machines are not failing, then the temp paranoia is just that, paranoia. Clearly the cooling system is fine and the machines are holding up just fine. I push my 2012 quad cores to 100c for days and have no issues going on 2+ years....

Maybe it's time for people like you to accept that maybe Apple knows more than you and just use your mini as it as designed. If you use a fan other than theirs and it ultimately breaks your mini, I will have no sympathy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.