Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
I'm currently getting snow on my 2010 27" iMac in target display mode connected to my 2011 Mac Mini Server daisy chained to a LaCie Thunderbolt Little Big Disk. It occurs in both Windows 7 and OSX Lion. The issue is sporadic and at times the display is stable. No issues with the iMac display in normal mode or without the daisy chain.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'm currently getting snow on my 2010 27" iMac in target display mode connected to my 2011 Mac Mini Server daisy chained to a LaCie Thunderbolt Little Big Disk. It occurs in both Windows 7 and OSX Lion. The issue is sporadic and at times the display is stable. No issues with the iMac display in normal mode or without the daisy chain.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anandtech posted awhile back that the only way to get an old 27" non-Thunderbolt ACD to work with 2011 Thunderbolt enabled devices is to put another Thunderbolt Device (i.e. hard drive) between the Thunderbolt equiped Mac and the ACD because the signal after the Thunderbolt Device (i.e hard drive) is only displayport video. So my guess is, the snow is caused because after your Little Big Disk, the signal coming from it is only standard Displayport Video and NOT a Thunderbolt video signal, thus the Thunderbolt equipped iMac is unable to display the image properly.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Anandtech posted awhile back that the only way to get an old 27" non-Thunderbolt ACD to work with 2011 Thunderbolt enabled devices is to put another Thunderbolt Device (i.e. hard drive) between the Thunderbolt equiped Mac and the ACD because the signal after the Thunderbolt Device (i.e hard drive) is only displayport video. So my guess is, the snow is caused because after your Little Big Disk, the signal coming from it is only standard Displayport Video and NOT a Thunderbolt video signal, thus the Thunderbolt equipped iMac is unable to display the image properly.

Yes, I am aware of the Anandtech article. However, I am using a 2010 27" iMac not the 2011 model.

Twonails

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
Flickering screen MBA TBolt to 24' Apple Dport LCD

I have a every similar problem here.
When using-
1) MBA TBolt to 27' 2010 iMac via display port input -> no problems

2) MBA TBolt to Little Big Disk to 27' 2010 iMac via display port input -> screen flickers with frequent instability

3) MBA TBolt to 24' 2008 Apple LCD via display port input -> no problems

4) MBA TBolt to Little Big Disk to 24' 2008 Apple LCD via display port input -> screen flickers with frequent instability

All evidence points to the Little Big Disk. The output from the LBDisk to both the 27' 2010 iMac and the 24' Apple LCD show instability.
I have contacted Lacie and their tech wrote back asking me to check my cables, suggesting they were not in the best condition. The cables are fine. It is the output from the LBD to display port input that is the problem.

Any one else experiencing this issue?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
here is an opinion this will be a problem for any t-bolt device. because the video passing through 2 t-bolt chips and the lacie chip is ending up in a non t-bolt device. If one of you are in NJ I have a promise pegasus I could run the device over to your house in person.

and do a mini to( t-bolt cable) to ( promise pegasus ) to 2010 iMac/display

if it is flawless then the problem is in the lacie device. if it flickers then apple is needs a t-bolt patch to allow for daisy chain of 2010 iMac/display

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Right now the 2010 27" iMac in target display mode is stable following a firmware fix / patch applied to the dual 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs. I think the issue is noise in the LaCie.

I had temporary stability by switching the order of the cables (top to bottom) on the LaCie. However, the instability would return.

elliotn

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
here is an opinion this will be a problem for any t-bolt device. because the video passing through 2 t-bolt chips and the lacie chip is ending up in a non t-bolt device. If one of you are in NJ I have a promise pegasus I could run the device over to your house in person.

I'm not sure I've understood the test you're proposing, but I have an Eizo CG275w monitor connected to a Promise Pegasus connected to a mini Server and the monitor is working fine (no 'snow').

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I'm not sure I've understood the test you're proposing, but I have an Eizo CG275w monitor connected to a Promise Pegasus connected to a mini Server and the monitor is working fine (no 'snow').

your setup could mean the lacie is the "bad Guy"

or it could mean the older apple display is the bad Guy. i.e. if we put a lacie in your setup (No promos p)
and got snow then I would think the lacie is the problem. if we put a apple display in your setup and kept the promos p then I would think the apple display is the villain

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.