2011 Mac Pro at NAB ??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by handheldgames, Apr 11, 2011.

1. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

With the rumored introduction of a new final cut studio at NAB this week...

Perhaps Apple will bring along an update to the Mac Pro?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No chips to update it with. Sandy Bridge-E is still around 6 months away at least.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

This.

4. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Cool.. Makes sense....

Just looking at past timelines, NAB has been a venue for new MP product introductions in the past.

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Better to look to Intel for release schedules these days. No Xeon's have been released so far that Apple would use. They will most likely use the unreleased premium Z68 chipsets with Xeon's released after that. I think the madness starts in July.

6. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Don't expect a 2011 update until 2012.. March maybe.. thats if Apple doesn't pro-long the Mac Pro like it always tends to do.. giving more preference to its bread and butter - the iphone, ipads, etc.. since the mac pro is such a niche in their profits, I believe they may even prolong it since the whole world doesn't need a mac pro.

The days of the Power Mac where regular consumers bragged about owning one is PLAINLY OVER.. and this is where I fell into that trap. Now I have a 6-core 2010(was 2009) and I hardly use it with anything reaching 2 cores let alone one.

It would be nice to see Microsoft Office be a 6-core app, but highly unlikely, or Apple's mail program.

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

No it wouldn't. Those Applications couldn't, under any imaginable scenario benefit. Even the most complex Excel Operation wouldn't benefit from 6-Cores. And Mail?? Nobodys Mail Program even uses a Single Core - Running Mail right now, total CPU doesnt even reach 1% on my MP, and Office Apps never get past 10-20% of a Single Core. Theres no point writing multicore versions of apps when those would be slower/the same speed as the single core versions. You'd gain no benefit apart from very silly bragging rights, which most businesses don't care about.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They've only really done it once - with the 2010 Mac Pros. The 06 models were only 6 weeks after Intel launched the processors and that was so they could announce at WWDC. While the 08 models came 8 weeks after Intel released processors, Dell were the only big system vendor to start selling systems before Apple and they were only shipping 2 weeks before Apple, plus no one used the higher end processors Apple were using for a while as Apple bought them all up. The 09 models came a month before every one else, even before Intel announced the processors.

So if Apple are no better or worse than they have been in the past it puts a new Mac Pro between September and May :D.

I get the impression the lack of updates to the Mac Pro during its life cycle and Intel's time between updates makes it seem like Apple are slow to update them.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Unless your PowerPoint presentation involves in presentation 3D animation rendering processes or you are somehow mass mailing multiple applications that are running WHILE mailing, exactly HOW would Office or Mail being a "6 core app" help?

OP, with Sandy Bridge on horizon, think January 2012.

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Seriously? Again?
    Not a single post where you don't mention your PowerMac or your 6 core, no matter if it fits in the context or not.

11. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Obviously its all he has to do on these forums... trying to make poor Quad-Core owners like me, with my lowly MDD for its companionship feel like were doing an inferior job or something :p

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Obviously compensating for something. ;)

13. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Ok, what did I do now? I am not making anyone feel inferior.

14. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Unless FCS and other apps are recoded to use all or most cores, the current westmere systems offer plenty of horse power to accomplish tasks. Only thing I think sucks is thunderbolt is not offered on current systems which is a shame. For what apple charges on current MP's, which is way over priced, and for around 30% performance when newer systems get introduced, not worth the money for the next update. Now if your coming from a 2008 or earlier, I can see waiting for an update provided the prices don't go up.

15. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

You might honestly be surprised at some of the stuff that companies do... I've seen models that take hours to update after a change in excel.