2011 macbook pro 15 inch fan issues with iStat menus 3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philipma1957, Oct 6, 2011.

1. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Okay I use istat menus 3 I got a new macbook pro today 2011 15 inch quad core the base 1799 dollar model>i don't use this type of gear much. I am a desktop guy. mac minis and mac pros. my istat menus reads one fan at 0 rpm and the other at 1999 rpm yet both fans seem and sound like full speed. I ran a smc reset and it still sounds like both fans are at 5500 rpm.

the istat reads 0 rpm and 2000 rpm and even if i run programs like cpu test the fans sound super loud . I did two mods 8gb ram and i put in a 7200 rpm hdd. can bad ram do this? or do I have a bad logic board?

2. Gurutech macrumors 6502

I'd try iStat pro widget or any other fan speed monitoring program to double check. FYI, it's really hard to distinguish if both fans are running or not.
    If the programs keep showing one fan at 0 rpm, I'd take the mbp to Apple store and have them check it out.

3. rubirock macrumors regular

weird. maybe try disabling fan control in istat and use smcfancontrol instead?

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

That is weird...my fans always run at almost the same speed, i.e. both around 2000 rpm or both around 4000 rpm. Like one of the other posters said, maybe try a different monitoring program to see if the speeds are being reported wrong in the one you're using now. If you get the same readings, I'd take it to an Apple Store to have them look at it. When my computer is just at idle, my fan speeds are around 2000 rpm and I can hear them (if the room is quiet) but not very much. I don't really start to notice them until they ramp up to 4000 or so.

5. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

bad logic board. here is how I tested. on all fan programs the left fan ramped up and down to wahever I set it to . the right fan read zero but a fan noise was obvious at full speed.

i took the back off and booted could see both fans running, so the 0 rpm readout was confirmed to be wrong. powered off did a smc reset no go same problem. powered down.

I lifted the right fan connector booted. the left fan read 2000 rpm and the right fan read 0 rpm well unplugged it should! but now the fan noise was normal. power down.

I attached the right fan connector lifted the left booted both fans read 0 and the right fan was full speed ahead. powered down .

pulled both fans out completely plugged the bad right fan into the left fan jack. the fan will not mount as it is mirror image but the power jack fits. the bad right fan ran at 2000 rpm and ramps up and down. powered down.

pulled the right fan put it on the side then placed the left fan in the right fan jack the good left fan ran at full speed i the right jack.

something wrong with the jack on the logic board. this machine does not have a bad fan it has a bad fan jack!

tried with 3 sets of ram tried with 3 smc resets. amazon took a rma for it and is sending me a new machine one day shipping it arrives on sat. so if anyone gets a new 2011 macbook pro with lion osx on the cover and has this problem it needs repair or replacement.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There is either the sensors fault or damaged or one fan is just dead. Might be the fail save procedure is same as when there are any other sensor problems. Run the fans full speed.
    I guess the sensors got damaged while you exchanged the RAM and because otherwise it should at least read one fan running at very high speed.

RAM cannot cause that problem only the replacement procedure if you weren't careful enough. Bring it to Apple.

7. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

returned it and got a new one.

logic board was the reason. this machine both fans read 2000 rpm both ramp up and down correctly. the tech told me this has happen on and off right out of the box. this was the case with my machine I just did not realize the loud fan or i would have never bothered to put in the 8gb ram. the new one is working fine with an 8gb ram upgrade along with a 1tb samsung hdd.

8. hawdan macrumors newbie

hi gys i have problem with my macbook pro 15-inch
    the part number or model number :MC372LL/A
    CPU :core i5 2010
    8 GB RAM
    HDD 500 GB
    i have lost the OS X DVD installing the original CD and the other copy doesn't work on it what should i have 2 do which copy install on it
    :apple::apple:

9. Darby67 macrumors 6502

Huh?

10. hawdan macrumors newbie

you have somthing work with me Darby67

11. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

And again, huh?