2011 MacBook Pro or 2010 iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jare, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

So I'll give you the gist of my situation. I've had some problems with my 15.4" Macbook Pro (2011). Apple has offered me one of two solutions:

#1 Replace for like-for-like model. 15.4" 2.2ghz model with Hi-Res Glossy Screen. (2011)

#2 Replace with top of the line iMac 27". 2.93ghz model. (2010)

Other then the high res screen on the MacBook Pro, and the upgraded processor on the iMac, the specs are still the same as the models on Apple's website.

I'm not huge on portability but I guess it's an OK option in case the situation arises that I indeed do need portability. But I would love the screen real-estate of the iMac. It's a tough choice for me so I was hoping to see some opinions from you guys.

Just to be clear though, about 85% of the time my MacBook Pro is sitting on my desk. It's my only computer at the moment.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Do you want to move it around? or can it just stay on your desk. If it's just going to sit there, go with the iMac.

3. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

Honestly, I could probably go either way and not have too much hassle, though I guess portability would be a plus (but not required, obviously).

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Gotcha. I've got the laptop+external monitor setup at my desk, then I can move the computer around wherever I want to, which is great, plus I still get a big screen. That may be an option to look into, seeing as the MBP is fairly close to the iMac in performance. My parents have a 27" iMac at home that is a monster of a machine, but the screen is almost too big for me. Either way isn't a bad option.

5. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Go the MacBook Pro, at least you have the choice of connecting devices at higher speeds than Firewire 800 which is your fastest option on any iMac to date. Hard drives are user replacable on MBP's not on the iMac, you'd also have better resale value on the MBP than the iMac. I had nothing but problems with iMacs last year I went through 4 all up, in my opinion they suck. I have a 2011 MBP here and after I upgraded the HDD its on par with a quad core iMac in terms of speed, and I also end up with alot smaller power bills as a result.

Try lugging a 27" iMac into an Apple store 4 repairs, not fun:mad: A MBP on the other hand....

6. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

2 valid points (resale and repairs).

The connections I don't mind so much (thunderbolt vs. Firewire 800) as I really don't/wont ever need to use them. And by the time I do, I'd probably have a new machine in my hands anyways.

Idk man this is a tough decision.

7. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Get the MBP... you can always add an ext monitor to it later... These Sandy Bridge beasts are FAST!

BTW, what problem did you have??

8. c1phr macrumors 6502

One thing to keep in mind is the two CPU clocks are not directly comparable. I would be willing to say you will get better performance out of the MBP due to the Sandy Bridge improvements.

I second the laptop + external display. I'm using my MBP in that set up right now (over my desktop in my sig) and I love it. It lets me have a dual screen set up, with lower power consumption and it's easy to get up and take my MBP with me.

I have seriously considered an iMac personally, but I personally love my MBP, and would easily buy another one over an iMac in the future.

9. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

Fans going on full blast when the system is completely powered down. Seems to be a sleep issue with the machine where it never *actually* powers down, even when you hold the power button for up to 4 minutes. It basically pretends to shut down but instead sleeps and I get that full blast fan noise.

10. Aamir macrumors newbie

I have both, and I must say, these new Sandy Bridge chips feel snappier. The iMacs are probably headed for a refresh soon anyways, because a whole lot of them are still Dual-Core. Of course, the 2.93 is a Quad, and by no means a slouch, but I'd prefer the MBP, mainly due to the fact that they're more portable (I know it doesn't matter much to you, but I'd still have that option of taking it off the desk to get more comfortable while watching a movie etc.), and uber-powerful, and TOTALLY comparable to the iMac. (Except for screen size, but you could buy a 27" Cinema Display.)

-AT

11. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Tell Apple to give you a top of the line 2011 refreshed iMac when it releases.

12. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I don't really think that's in the cards honestly, they want to do something now rather then wait.

13. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

You're right, I just am not able to afford a Cinema Display at this time.

14. Aamir macrumors newbie

Buy a refurb, or just buy one later :)
    By choosing this option, it gives you more flexibility than an iMac. :p

15. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I guess the MBP in a sense would also be more future-proof then the iMac as well.

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Given those choices, I'd go MBP. (Much) better resale, more future proof, portable, more flexible.

17. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

It seems to be almost a consensus that I should exchange like for like.

18. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

The imac is better for gaming and watching movies in my opinion, mainly because of the large screen. I run windows on my imac and use it for work and games, and my macbook more for pleasure so far (social networking, youtube, stuff like that). I guess you could also do the external monitor option for the macbook though.

Personally I would go with the macbook, and possibly get an external monitor down the road if you feel you need it. The main reasons would be the portability option and resale value. Those are just my thoughts :)

19. toddybody Guest

toddybody

tough choice...but if it were me, i'd go for the iMac

...if money were no object, heck yeah I'd rock the 15inch MBP + 27inch monitor; as its not, the iMac's screen real estate is what's going to REALLY make your experience better. Just my 2 cents.

20. mike2732 macrumors member

Off-Topic: Dude you're a sick beatboxer!
    On-Topic:

I agree, although the higher resolutions on the iMac will take away from framerate in more demanding games. The higher-end 15" and 17" have graphics which are just as or more powerful than the current iMacs.

Not to mention there is supposed to be a iMac refresh soon, so if you do decide to go with one, just wait and you'll get better specs.

21. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I wouldn't limit my display choices to Apple. Great monitors can be had for way cheaper.

22. Aamir macrumors newbie

Yeah, but.... But.... BUT IT'S AN APPLE DISPLAY! It's so Beautiful, and MAGICAL! And the little Apple logo on the front makes my want one! :eek:

23. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I originally bough a MBP and an Apple Cinema Display. It was amazing, BUT I never used the MBP as a laptop. It was always in the stand. This helped for resale value but defeated the purpose.

I like to have an option to watch videos, email, etc. while traveling.

My solution:

Do what I did and get the 27' iMac and get an iPad 2. You will get the most bang for your buck with the iMac and the iPad will cover you if you ever go mobile (which you wont ;)).

24. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

@mike2732 - Thanks for checking out my vids! You're the first person whose commented on them from macrumors :)

@OnYourKnees I agree that is another really good solution. That's what I would have done if I didn't need the laptop for using excel and editing videos when I'm travelling. And as a bonus I'm sure you'll attact ample attention from the lady types if you have the new ipad 2

25. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I was having the same query myself. I ended up with the 15" 2.2Ghz Quad 128GB SSD with High Res display w/ Refurbed ACD. I could easily add in a second hard drive for more storage or continue to use my current array set up.
    I like the flexibility of the MBP to be honest and is pretty comparable to the 27" iMac.

Depending on when the new iMacs come out may consider selling the 15" + display to get a high-end iMac 27" & 11" MacBook Air refurb for extra portability.

but as of now, the MBP considering the iMacs will come out soon or later with new specs. Atleast you could get a better resale value for your MBP if they come out relatively soon if they have better specs for what you want.