2011 Macbook Pro screen feels less-vibrant compared to Late 2008?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BJB Productions, Apr 4, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi,
    I'm a photographer, and from the moment I got my replacement 2011 MBP (originally had late 2008 model), maybe it's just me, but it sure feels like the colors are "faded" compared to my 2008 model. I don't know, again maybe it's just me, but I feel like the res and vibrance are not nearly as great compared to my late 2008 model. As I said, I noticed this from the moment I opened it for the first time. I was just looking at some of the photos I processed on my 2008 model and they look really faded and desaturated on my 2011 compared to what they looked like on my 2008 MBP, iMac, and iPad. I also checked my brightness levels between the devices, and all were (and are) similar. Anyone else noticed this, or can confirm (or laugh :p) at this?

2. simsaladimbamba

You could try a different colour profile or even create your own via System Preferences > Displays >> Color.

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah, I might give that a shot.

4. BJB Productions, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Well I gave that a shot and it's really no good, looked worse than the current default calibration.

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

you didn't by chance go from glossy to anti-glare did you?

6. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Nope- they were (and are) both glossy.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

What panel do you have? Go into System Preferences->Displays->Color and click on Color LCD and then click Open Profile. Open it, and look on line 17. My Manufacturer is 00000610, my model is 00009CC3, etc... The 0's don't matter. What are your manufacturer and model numbers?

8. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Manufacture:610
    Model: 9CA3

9. Great Dave macrumors regular

I am also considering updating to the new MBP, but am concerned also by the screen. I am actually debating on switching to a dell - their XPS line has RGBALED screen - a superior gamut, plus on even on the 15", you can get a 1920x1080. ( Not to mention, bluray, better graphics card, sound, better warranty - and you can get it for under a grand)

I know that Bert Monroy and several others from NAPP had made the switch - just curious if you looked at any other makes?

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

May I direct you to this thread? It talks about the 9C85 on a late 2008 MBP (which is the MBP that you had, and probably the same panel too). There are a couple of threads about the 9CA3 being a bad panel. Do you have your 2008 MBP? Or was your 2011 a replacement from Apple for the 2008? If you have the 2008, check to see what panel it has. If you have no access to the 2008, go to the store you purchased it at or call Apple if you purchased it online or if its a replacement MBP and have them replace this MBP also.

11. wonderwood macrumors newbie

Calibrate is the only answer

Hey Homie,

You gotta calibrate, but don't use OSX preferences, you need a usb device that attaches to your screen. I use the Xrite i1 - it's the only puck that I've seen work with laptops.

IMHO the AMD card is a vast improvement over the nvidia. You just need to dial it in.

WW

12. webazoid macrumors member

I have 13" MBP. The screen looks worse than my dell inspiron 15r.
    Here's what I see:
    00009CC7
    C6C4B780

13. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Very interesting thread. Thanks. I unfortunately do not have my 2008 MBP because actually the backlight on it died and Apple swapped it out with a brand new 2011.

So you're saying you think they would replace it for me? Because the screen works fine, I just think the colors vibrance are far-less superior and I'm a photographer, and need a good screen.

14. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I guess I'll give them a call today and see what they say...

15. AlphaDogg, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

My MBP has had the screen replaced twice. The original screen was a 9CCB and it was absolutely amazing. True blacks, the works. The replacement screen was a 9CC7. I hated it. The blacks looked bluish. It was terrible. Luckily, the hinges failed on that display assembly, so they replaced it with a 9CC3. It is comparable to the original 9CCB panel that I had.
    Good luck!

16. matwue macrumors member

Then you probably shouldn't be using a laptop screen to begin with, all except for a handful of laptop displays use TN panels which are not suited for serious photo editing.

That said, laptop displays can be used but you don't have to wonder if your pictures look somewhat different when printed out or when viewed on a well calibrated display with IPS or PVA panel. If your laptop's display does not look faulty (which seems to be the case) it is likely simply different (maybe even more accurate!) than the old one but working as intended.

In that case I would invest some money in a colorimeter device like the Datacolor Spyder 3 which will allow you to calibrate your screen(s). Calibrated, the Macbook's display will be way more accurate than a non-calibrated display, thus allowing you to get a better impression of what your pictures actually look like. But: the display will of course still be nowhere as good as a quality external display, no method of calibration could remove the limitations of TN panels when it comes to color accuracy and viewing angles.

17. MrRobotto, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

MrRobotto macrumors newbie

I recently bought a MacBook Pro 15" 2011 model and have been disgusted with the display quality, compared to the 2010 17" model it replaced. I can verify that the 17" 2010 had an LG-Philips panel, and that my 2011 15" has a Samsung panel.

The 17 had beautiful deep blacks, vibrant colours (not over-saturated), crisp whites, and calibration barely made a difference (not that it really needed it). It was wonderful. The 15 however has a significant magenta shift, dim backlighting across the top, whites look yellowish, colours are dull.

I got a replacement machine from Apple, same screen again. Subsequent calls have been unsuccessful, the Apple reps telling me that it's a 'feature' or that LG dislays may no longer be available. However, I've read reports of people getting replacement machines with the superior panel, and also screen replacements that have been the LG-Philips.

The problem I find is people that don't use their machines for visual work (photography, design) probably won't notice the crappy Samsung panels and may wonder what the fuss is about. This includes Apple reps, and I assume Apple engineers also (which is the only explanation as to why these panels wound up in Macs to begin with).

This issue isn't isolated, here's another thread at the Apple forums I've been active on: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2774476&messageID=13339135#13339135

@matwue, yes TN panels aren't great, but if you had seen the panel in the 2010 17-inch MBP I think your opinion may shift a little. It was impressive. People have documented this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=993844

18. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Wow, you're pinpointing exactly what I feel. The blacks are horrible on it. The whites are yellow and the vibrance is really bad... Well I'm about to call them right now... so I'll let you know. Problem is, if I get a replacement, it's going to be the exact same most likely. What about the high-res displays?

19. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Well just got off the phone with an Apple rep. Complete waste of time. Basically we went through everything I had done already, calibration...etc no good of course. She said I would have to bring it into Apple.

Here's why I'm hesitant; any Genius I can almost be 100% sure is going to look at it and say "it's fine" I mean the screen does "look" fine. but when using it for more crucial things in a darker environment, I notice it. But I think even if I was to have them take a closer look, they would probably just say it's fine. It's not a "defect" it's simply a bad monitor they've put in this thing... So I'm pretty bummed. It's just probably not worth the hassle for them to just say nothing is wrong. Even if I did get a replacement, it would most likely look the same.

Oh, on a completely different note, I also mentioned the heat generated from the MBP and how it hits 200ºF many times and my fans hit 6000RPM. She asked what software I was using to monitor this. I told her iStat. She said she had never heard of it, so it's most likely not reliable. Oh gosh...

20. six.four macrumors 6502

I believe my 2011 MBP 15 has a 9ca4 samsung screen (IIRC). Compared to several screens I've had in the past, this one was the best. Perhaps in the past the 5 or 6 15" MBP I had in the past were all duds. My current screen has no color unevenness, no backlight bleed, good whites, good blacks. This is, of course, after calibration.

"vibrance is really bad"

For the record, this is not a screen problem. Vibrancy is sometimes over saturation, which is not good on a screen. You want natural accurate colors.

I also wanted to point out - it seems within the same panels - there seems to be quality variances, as I recall someone else with the same panel as mine had color unevenness and light bleed, which I don't experience with my current MBP.

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Funny, i've had the opposite experience. My AG screen (Samsung) is far superior to the LG screen on my Late 08 MBP which no calibration could fix and thus prompted me to get an ACD.

22. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

For the record though; my late 2008 had horrible backlight bleed. This one does not.

23. c7aea macrumors regular

Well I just ordered a datacolor spyder 3 elite. I really hope it will help out my MBP screen. I dont think anything is wrong with it, I have just been spoiled now by my dell u3011. I know it will never look as good. But, I am leaving soon for 4 months and I would like to use my MBP screen for photo editing. I have tried a few times to manually calibrate it but it still isn't as good as I used to think it was....Hopefully this helps

24. six.four macrumors 6502

I just noticed you mentioned that you were also a photographer. It just aggregates my point that, especially as a photographer, you should want a screen with the highest level of color accuracy, not vibrancy.

And yes - as the other poster mentioned, these TN panels, while good for quick edits, should be second to a color calibrated IPS panel.

25. iMackPro macrumors 6502

Is the problem youre having only appearing in "In depth" photography work or can you tell while just browsing the web? im scared that i have a crappy pannel now too!