2011 MacbookPro - trackpad causes sore fingers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by docyoast, Jun 21, 2011.

1. docyoast macrumors newbie

I was wondering whether other people experienced the same thing, namely:
    When I use the trackpad for longer periods (several hours surfing the web), I get painful fingertips, like there some electric current going through my fingers via the trackpad.
    Anyone suffering from the same symptoms?

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I don't have sore fingers even after using my laptop for long periods of time. Are you new to laptops by any chance?

3. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

That's a new one to me... Is it possible that you may be allergic to the material or something? That's about the only thing I can think of, as far fetched as that sounds.

5. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Get a mouse and that should help. If you want to keep the finger gestures, buy the Magic Mouse - it's great!

Cheers, Macjim.

6. un.titled macrumors regular

7. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

There is a small amount of electric current that Apple uses to reprogram and brainwash us. ha..ha...ha... Just kidding. (I THINK)

You might wish to go here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2490#l1

Once you've got it set to your preferences you will find it's great.

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

And people bash PC users :eek:

9. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Used mine all day at work today, no issues here. This is my first day of full time Macbook Pro usage at work, I used to use a PC with a trackball. I enjoy using the Magic Trackpad much more, but yet also still have the Magic Mouse available when I need to do more precision things like editing music. ;)

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not here.

11. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

12. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Kinda what I was thinking :D

13. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Best recommendation I have is to enable tap to click, so you don't have to physically "click" the trackpad by pressing down. This may help with your pain.

14. mikelebp1 macrumors newbie

Me too

But I have been having this problem for the longest time. I am a law student and after studying for 10 hours scrolling through and outline my fingers were killing me. (My Fingers hurt ala Happy Gilmore). I read in another thread that people have had success with putting an Iphone screen cover on the track pad. From what I notice, it's not thatI am pressing so hard, it seems like there is a low electrical current running through the pad. At the end of long study session my fingers feel like the tips have been cut off, no lie.

15. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I don't have any problems with it :/ use an external mouse?!

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

Either you have a faulty/poorly grounded trackpad, or you press way too hard on it all the time without realizing it.

Bring it to apple, you have a warranty, use it.

17. nemesis9 macrumors newbie

I had this problem with my 2007 MacBook Pro. It felt like electricity was running along the top of the case and trackpad, and it gave my fingers/palms a weird feeling. It went away after a few months.

I am one of those people who has skin oil that oxidizes the aluminum finish, though, if that has anything to do with it.

18. raghav2511 macrumors member

I've had similar experiences while using my MBP 2011 (Early). I think you should consider repositioning your hand/palm while using, so that you are in the most comfortable position and get an external mouse because trackpad is a pain when reading lengthy documents which require you to scroll forever.

Regarding the current flow issue, correct me if I am wrong, but have you bought you're MBP from some other country ? If so, the earthing of the current is different in different countries. Try getting an adaptor that is made for your country wall outlets and make sure it has an earthing out-let. In which case, you might also consider using the extension that came along your MBP.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your MBP!

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You need to see the doctor. Soon.

20. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

21. dmlanger macrumors newbie

I have the same problems. There is too much friction from the trackpad material. After long internet sessions (2-3 hours) the finger tips get sore and have even blistered. I just got this mac back in December and started noticing it in Early Feb. I only use it about 3-5 hours per day and am not happy. Potential Class Action Suit?

22. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Stop pressing so hard on the trackpad and when you are not using it take your hand OFF of it.

23. dank414 macrumors member

24. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Uh... don't press so hard?

When only one person whines about something then sues, it's not considered a class action suit.

25. jburns macrumors regular

You're going to sue your parents for bad finger genes? That's cold man.