2011 MBP Light leak

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macjoshua, Mar 7, 2011.

1. macjoshua, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

macjoshua macrumors 6502

Just trying to see if I get any other responses about this. I've had the laptop for less than a week, and it's a great machine (15" 2.2). I only have one area I'm a little unsure about about. On a black screen I have slight light leak around the bottom of the screen. It's not terrible, but is noticeable while watching movies.

Would you exchange it for another one... or are all the screens kind of like this?

[​IMG]

2. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Mine is like that too, and so is my thin Toshiba HDTV. Honestly, I think with screens this thin in diameter especially it would be pretty hard to avoid some light leakage -- it may not even be leakage so much as spill through since the backlight is still on just dimmed down.

I've decided to forgive this (rarely relevant) issue since the screen is 100x better than my last PC. :p

3. Bandit390 macrumors newbie

Mine is like that a little. Hard to tell what extent it is for you. But at least for mine, I don't think it will get any better with a replacement. If yours is that bad, then sure, replace it.

4. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess i'll probably just stick with this computer. i can't really notice it in normal use, as it only shows up on a black screen. it not really noticeable when lighting conditions are bright enough, or if the screen isn't at full brightness.

i guess i'm just way to OCD about my macs being perfect. i went through four MBP's a few years ago until i got one i was ok with, as well as 7 iphone 3g's.

5. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm curious if anyone has a macbook pro without light bleeding in like this.

6. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

7. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... maybe I'll try exchanging mine.

8. PAPO macrumors 6502

this is normal for ALL EDGE lit LCD screens, due to the fact the light is on the side under some circumstances you can notice the lighting of the screen is un even, the only way to avoid this is for the screen to be BACK lit, but this makes the screen thinker and consumes (slightly) more power making it unsuitable for laptops.

the effect is more pronounced on larger screens like many new TVs that are edge lit because people just want their TV to be thin and don't care about picture quality

9. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

i can understand that. what about the people who claim they don't have any backlight leak though?

10. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

i got my screen replaced because of light leakage for free. Was much better afterwards and hardly noticeable.

11. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm mostly just picky about it because there are 'bars' of light an dark across the bottom, like you can see in the pic. i didn't know if that was a defect or not.

12. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are the faint vertical stripes of light from the bottom normal?

13. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I say exchange it until you are satisfied with what you get. :)

Good luck. :)

14. PAPO macrumors 6502

they just haven't noticed it, the conditions in the photo at the top of the thread are where something like this this is most noticeable, a dark image on the screen in a dark room with the backlight up, so either;

1) turn on some room lights
    2) turn down your back light
    3) choose a lighter background
    (or a combo of the 3)

15. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm just being too picky. On a normal screen in normal lighting, the screen is beautiful. I've just had such a run of bad luck with Apple products that I'm looking for things to be wrong with it.

I'm going to try to just chill out and enjoy the computer.

16. PAPO macrumors 6502

lol I know how you feel I've had a few painful issues over the years and was always buying at the wrong time (only weeks before an update) but this time I did my homework and couldn't be happier, my only disappointment was that my new MBP didn't have quite enough of that new Apple smell :p

may your mac be fast and hassle free ;)

17. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

lol thought this was a play on the word "Light Peak" hahaha

18. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Common problem last year with the 13" mbp, which is why i upgraded to a 15" to avoid the patchy screen backlighting.

19. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a 15" :eek:

20. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I know what you're going through.. I went through 6 MacBook Pros in March 2010, they all had uneven backlighting and dead or stuck pixels :( I finally decided to get a refund and got a Mac Pro instead.

Also, I have noticed that every single MacBook Air (new 13" and 11" models) I have seen has darker backlighting along the very bottom of the screen.

21. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow! 7 of them? I thought I was picky. :D

22. Scope1230 macrumors member

Bahhhaaha u took words right of my mouth.

23. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh.... The definitely exchange it. The screen shouldnt be like that. I just assumed you had a 13" as the backlught bleed pattern is exactly the same as my 13" from last year.

My new 15" has a perfectly even screen, no patches or anything when dark. Saying that, my machine idles at stupidly low temperatures too, maybe I just got lucky in Apples Mac Roulette?

24. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

This should be, and will be if you ask Apple, replaced.

25. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

My fear would be if the replacement would be worse than what I currently have.