2011 mbp repaired but now 2nd hard drive in optibay not working ???help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enthawizeguy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. enthawizeguy macrumors 6502

So I got my 2011 early mbp back from the repair depot . Everything is working great but now the 1tb 7200 rpm drive in the optibay is showing up but only in disk utility. I Thought it just needed to be reformatted so I already lost all the data but it won't format or partition it takes hours and it's not mounting and showing up on the desktop . It worked fine before the repair . Does anyone know how to fix this ? I am freaking out I only have a 256gb ssd in the main bay and I need the extra room.

2. MacVidCards Suspended

possible they damaged ribbon cable or it is loose

take it back

3. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

they won't fix it I'm sure since its not apple installed. ill try it myself. where can i buy them? any other suggestions. I never had problems before does anyone know about the firmware and downgrading it to sata2?

4. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Well....what was the repair done? That might be relevant to tell us don't you think...the advice should be totally different if you tell us the logic board was changed out, or only the bottom case...:rolleyes:

Your symptoms however mimic mine with a faulty SATA cable. The cable gives errors in both directions but the disk controller will retry in reads but the drive puts itself into read-only to prevent data corruption on writes - hence it won't partition or format.

But as it is in the Optical bay it could be the MBP SATA cable, the Optical caddy or the caddy-to-HDD cable if it has one.

Would they have disturbed the Optical caddy to do the repair? (see my first point).

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Apple apparently replaced several parts, in addition to the logic board
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20761144#post20761144

You added the cable yourself (the optibay adapter for your hard drive), so it was at your risk that you shipped it out with third-party parts installed. If Apple put those back in place after replacing the logic board, then you were lucky.
    Have you checked inside to make sure that everything is seated properly?

Unfortunately for you, the Apple repair center would not ordinarily test that hard drive, and may often simply leave it out, rather than run the risk that a third-party part (the optibay adapter, and the hard drive) _might_ cause problems with the testing that they do. They would usually return any third party parts in the shipping box (not installed), but I think there would be no guarantee that the depot would actually do that. - SO, check the connections inside. If the optibay adapter and your own hard drive are inside, then maybe all you need to do is reseat the connections.
    (Might work then)

7. MCSN macrumors regular

MCSN

did you mount the disk or repair permissions in disk utility?

8. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

The top , bottom and logic board and keyboard were replaced. I opened it up and detached the sata cable and slid the hard drive in and out. I forgot if the optibay had any switches or buttons or anything . It looks like it is all connected right. Im so sick of dealing with this. I was thinking about purchasing this but don't want to waste money. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/HGST/0J22423S2/
    Should i grab that? how hard is it to install a new sata cable and where do i get it? I heard i could downgrade the hgst 1tb drives firmware to run at sata 2 but how?

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Eh? Why change the drive, a new cable is indicated, they are available off eBay...

If you want to prove the fault, swap the drives over, see where the fault goes, moves with the drive or stays with the controller/cable.

10. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

how hard is it to install the cable? is there a way i can prove its the sata? I guess i can bring it to this 3rd party mac guy. I would rather him install a cable than do it myself. I just don't get why for 2 years the hgst sata 3 hard drive worked in my computer. Cause all i read everywhere is that it doesn't work unless its downgraded with firmware. I just am trying to avoid spending lots of money and i don't really wanna take both drives out and switch them so i don't know what to do really.

11. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

question does this mean that the logic board supported sata 3 in the optibay? if so this rules out the hd and firmware option and limits it to a failed drive or sata cable?

Attached Files:

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I told you how to prove the drive is good but you could also pull the HDD and put it in a USB caddy or dock and see if it runs fine that way. You can't prove cable or controller (ie the logic board), without swapping the cable (or the logic board but that would be silly).

SATA cable swap takes 10mins for the HDD bay cable. My HGST 1TB works fine and has done for 2.5yrs, just had the cable go at nearly 4 yrs old, 10min fix with a spare cable. Gave very similar symptoms to yours. If it worked fine before then don't mess with the firmware. I'm still running v2 firmware in mine but I'm not upgrading as that may well cause an issue and I don't have any issues at the moment...

----------

Yes. and Yes. All indications are the cable.

----------

Power off
    Remove bottom cover.
    Remove drive bracket & screws (2)
    Remove HDD
    Remove Lid sensor/drive bracket screws (2)
    Remove SATA cable mid-point screws (2)
    Un-click SATA connector from logic board
    Un-peel Lid Sensor cable from underside of case
    Remove cable
    To fit new cable:
    Locate and fix Lid sensor/drive bracket with screws (2)
    Re-fit SATA cable mid-point screws (2)
    Press Lid Sensor cable to underside of case
    Click SATA connector into logic board connector
    Re-fit HDD
    Re-fit drive bracket with screws (2)
    Re-fit bottom cover
    Power up.

Plenty of videos on Youtube

13. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ooops - sorry your HDD is in the optical bay?? I run mine in the main drive bay, sorry I gave you intructions for the main drive bay.

So if you need to remove the optical caddy then it is way easy to swap the drives to prove whether the caddy is at fault, but you can't prove whether it is the caddy, its cable or the superdrive cable without swapping those parts.

Can't remember what the Supadrive cable looks like on mine (mines a 13").

I'd prove it to be the caddy/cable tbh by swapping the drives over, then next most cost effective would be to replace the stock supadrive cable, then replace the caddy with its own cable. No idea on relative reliability so I'd just swap cheapest first.

15. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

If I am correct there is no cable for the data doubler in the optibay. It is just the superdrives sata cable taken off. I had amazon credit and ordered this and it will arrive later today. Hoping to god this works if not i will try swapping the hard drives but i highly doubt the hard drive just died in the 2 days that apple had it.

Does this part look correct. So i just need to removed the data doubler and insert the new sata cable and i should be fine?

Attached Files:

16. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hoping this fixs my problem also hoping that since the hard drive was put into read only mode that it didn't actually format my drive and I get lucky . I hope the other Sata cable ir sensor doesn't get damaged since i have removed it twice in 2 days

17. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Fingers crossed!

18. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

So a few things.

1. Changing the Sata cable was a waste.
    2. While in the process i stripped 2 of the data doubler optibay small black screws where can i buy more?
    3. One screw fell in between the motherboard and I could not get it out is that dangerous
    4. I switched the hgst drive to the main bay and the ssd to the optibay and they both showed up and worked fine.
    5. I put the original hard drive that came in the macbook into the data doubler and that is working fine but its only 750gb sata 3gbs.
    6. I am confused as to how the HGST worked for a year and a half fine on the data doubler and fine when i switched it to the main bay.

So what are my options now? I just spent 6 hours I am pretty frustruated.

19. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Put the Cd reader back in and tell them your CD player isn't working since they fixed it. Worse case they have notes of your 2nd hdd, but most likely they didn't bother to make note of it. Have them fix cable or whatever it is. Get it home and reinstall 2nd hdd. Also mention to them you could hear screw inside laptop.

20. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

No longer have the super drive . The sata cable is fine I just changed it last night

21. TheMacNinja macrumors newbie

TheMacNinja

Have you tried switch the drives out between bays?

22. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

So go with step 4, all working fine. Why not run with that - that is how I run. You can run System Info to see what speeds are being negotiated on both SATA ports.

You should get the screw out, it could cause a short at any time.

23. duervo macrumors 68010

duervo

Given the history of what you've done up to this point, I'm inclined to believe that the new logic board that they put into your system may have a different version of firmware on it that might render your HGST drive incompatible in the OptiBay, or be a newer revision of the board that you originally had in it that has that same effect.

If it were me, I would check to see if there is a firmware update for HGST drive. Failing that, I would get a new drive.

Look at the bright side: At least you no longer have crashing, boot, and keyboard problems, and whatever else you were experiencing with it (as far as I can tell, anyway.)

... and yeah ... get that screw out ASAP.

24. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

how can i get the screw out? i can't even see it? i took the fan out and its not accessible ? Also how do i know what hard drives will work now? can i buy another sata 3?

----------

Does anyone know where i can get the firmware update for the host 1tb 7200 rpm sata 3

25. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The screw could move and short out and ruin the logic board worst case (I guess shorting the battery is very worst case). Wherever the screw is, it needs to come out or you run that quite severe risk (IMHO).

If both drives are working then check they are working at SATA3 (mine do in the same locations), if they are then you don't need to do anything (except remove that screw).