Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torchmedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
My mini server doesn't reboot. (Apple Menu > Restart)

- The system shuts down properly
- Screen goes black
- System fan elevates to a higher RPM

And that's it. I've been too impatient to wait for more than a minute, so I've just powered the mini off and started over again when needed.

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks!

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Do you have an external drive or USB flash drive attached formatted as bootable? If so try restarting without the external drives and USB.

torchmedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Do you have an external drive or USB flash drive attached formatted as bootable? If so try restarting without the external drives and USB.

No bootable USB drive, but I removed all USB devices regardless. (USB headset, external drive, MagicJack) and only left my Thunderbolt display plugged in.

I should note that I did swap the SSD (my boot drive) from one mac mini to another. Does OSX tie itself to a unique hardware ID or something that would cause it to mis-communicate?

torchmedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Update. I've followed steps from Apple to reset both the PMU and the SMC, neither of which appeared to make any difference. on restart.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
No bootable USB drive, but I removed all USB devices regardless. (USB headset, external drive, MagicJack) and only left my Thunderbolt display plugged in.

I should note that I did swap the SSD (my boot drive) from one mac mini to another. Does OSX tie itself to a unique hardware ID or something that would cause it to mis-communicate?

Update. I've followed steps from Apple to reset both the PMU and the SMC, neither of which appeared to make any difference. on restart.

okay what mac minis are you talking about and what osx. a 2009 server a 2010 server a 2011 server? lion or snow. and the other mac mini since you mention you have two mac minis.

torchmedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
okay what mac minis are you talking about and what osx. a 2009 server a 2010 server a 2011 server? lion or snow. and the other mac mini since you mention you have two mac minis.

They are both 2011 mini servers, identical spec. I purchased two and only ended up needing one .. ended up sending one back and swapping the drives before doing so.

Last edited:

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
This may sound stupid, but try unplugging your Thunderbolt display during restart and wait to hear the Mac Mini boot all the way into OSX. If this works try the EFI updates to improve thunderbolt compatibility or you must have both connected to the same display.

torchmedia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
This may sound stupid, but try unplugging your Thunderbolt display during restart and wait to hear the Mac Mini boot all the way into OSX. If this works try the EFI updates to improve thunderbolt compatibility or you must have both connected to the same display.

I tried unplugging the Thunderbolt Display during power down, before restart, with no change in outcome.

I still have a week left to return the mini and order another one, that might be the easiest solution at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.