Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
You may say thunderbolt is useless now but I am glad I am going to have it for the future. I am sad that my 6 month old imac doesn't have it since i use an external for backups and time machine it would be great to have thunderbolt for that. give it one year when there are lots of thunderbolt products anyone that bought a new MBP will be happy they had it even though they needed to wait to use it. If apple waited for everyone else to implement technology they would not be revolutionary. Apple did this with firewire and now they are leading the way with thunderbolt.

I wonder if thunderbolt will replace FireWire in the MBPs?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Personally I don't see why you'd use more than two USB ports at once on a LAPTOP. Plus the thunderbolt port will be able to connect with some devices later on, meaning you could plug a lot of your USB stuff into it.

I'm using a pre-Santa Rosa MBP from early 2007 and it has two USB ports and I wish it had more. I use one for my Logitech unifying software dongle and the other one is connected to my laptop cooler fans which has a port built into it and if I want to plug in my Time Machine drive I need to unplug the fans or if I want to plug in a USB flash drive I have to unplug my fans etc...

I feel a laptop would be best served with 3-4 USB ports.

And to the OP: If I were to buy a new MBP today it would be far more advanced than the MBP I have had since early 2007. I have right now an Intel C2D 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD (aftermarket), and a non-unibody frame. While it still rocks and performs quite well, the new ones are a big step up from this only 4 year old machine.

Apple hasn't given up; they're getting better and stronger every year.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Personally I don't see why you'd use more than two USB ports at once on a LAPTOP. Plus the thunderbolt port will be able to connect with some devices later on, meaning you could plug a lot of your USB stuff into it.

Easy. Use your computer like a desktop when you are at home. One for the keyboard/mouse, one for iPod/iPhone/camera/other peripheral, and one for the backup hard drive (well I end up using the FireWire port since there is no third USB. Bit that is one reason I choose the MBP over the MB, that third port.

pcmacgamer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
old old thread but this one makes me chuckle. Looking back at this Apple's rMBP really was a great evolution.

Last edited:

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Isn't it much closer to 4 years? Oh and you must mean it hasnt changed except the battery, the keyboard, the trackpad, the processor, Ram, logicboard, graphics, and everything else except the external case design.
Sure, the bottom line is Apple give up on the Macbook Pro.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Old thread founded on bloviation.

How much is there that you can -do- with a laptop, insofar as design oriented to functionality is concerned?

There's a screen, keyboard, touchpad, case, ports.

One can re-arrange these a bit, and change the shape and color of the case, but again, once a good design is reached -- the only changes left to make are "incremental fluff" on the side...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.