Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
My late 2013 15" Macbook Pro has ALOT of usage miles on it but no hardware failures so far.

My late 2015 13" Macbook Pro with half the usage miles and the "advanced" force-touch track pad already has a semi-broken track pad (has virtually no travel to it anymore because the mechanism is already worn out).

Numerous owners of the latest generation late 2016 Macbook Pro's are reporting hardware failures or weaknesses, plus software glitches that make the unit temporarily unusable. I guess the only way a Macbook Pro owner can deal with a situation like this is to buy 2 or more Macbooks with extended warranties on both so that way there is always one available to use while the other is in the hands of AppleCare undergoing repairs.

Reactions: wolfaaron

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
My 2016 is as solid as a rock. I have had zero issues and feel the build is better than any other Macbook in the past. I can say this with a fair amount of confidence since I've thought about buying each of the last three generations. The lightweight thin design makes it much easier to handle than the older models IMO.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
My 2016 is as solid as a rock. I have had zero issues and feel the build is better than any other Macbook in the past. I can say this with a fair amount of confidence since I've thought about buying each of the last three generations. The lightweight thin design makes it much easier to handle than the older models IMO.

I second this. I've owned them all...going way back to the G4's. The 2016 is no different in terms of build quality. In fact, in some ways, I think it's better than previous generations. I'm of the few that actually like the new features. For the first time in my life I've replaced a desktop with a laptop. Prior to this generation, I always saw the laptop as a companion to my desktop. 4GB of VRAM changed my mind I guess.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
2010 is the best year for reliability. :cool: Solid as a rock, and replaceable parts if it goes wrong.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
2010 is the best year for reliability. :cool: Solid as a rock, and replaceable parts if it goes wrong.

I recently returned the 2016 I picked up 13 days ago to the Apple store. It was the 15" 2.7/455. My brand new unit was delivered literally moments ago. There was nothing wrong with the one I returned, I just decided to max out the configuration as I plan to keep the notebook for the next 3-5 years. Really wanted the best video card and processor I could get my hands on for video editing purposes. My second unit is impeccable, and delivered fast. It was literally in China 4 days ago. Unbelievable speed of delivery. The build quality is superb. It feels stronger than it probably is. I've got it sitting next to my work 2014 15". To me, they are of the same quality. It's one of the reasons I buy Apple products. I personally believe in the quality of materials used to construct them. This go around, I opted for the silver 'classic' look because I know space gray has a tendency to show wear a bit easier, just ask my iPad pro. I do love the space gray look though.

Stupid but, the only thing I've missed with the 2016 unit is that "Apple smell" when unboxing these things. I don't know why but that scotch tape like smell is no longer a thing. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanpete

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC
My late 2013 15" Macbook Pro has ALOT of usage miles on it but no hardware failures so far.

My late 2015 13" Macbook Pro with half the usage miles and the "advanced" force-touch track pad already has a semi-broken track pad (has virtually no travel to it anymore because the mechanism is already worn out).

Numerous owners of the latest generation late 2016 Macbook Pro's are reporting hardware failures or weaknesses, plus software glitches that make the unit temporarily unusable. I guess the only way a Macbook Pro owner can deal with a situation like this is to buy 2 or more Macbooks with extended warranties on both so that way there is always one available to use while the other is in the hands of AppleCare undergoing repairs.

My 15" late 2014 rMBP is still going strong. It's maxed out and I don't think I'll have to replace for at least another two or three years. It's solid and looks like new.

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
wait, the 2015 trackpad doesn't move at all. You mean the clicking noise is not as loud? perhaps that is making you think it doesn't have any travel. Turn the computer off and press the trackpad and it won't move at all.

Reactions: jerryk

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think Apple's quality (or most Makers, for that matter) can be measured on a curve. Too many parts are sourced from too many different locations/companies that the quality can go up and down, and vary in between. Like any other Maker, Apple has both hits and misses. They just have a history of more hits than they do misses, so the misses are often felt harder (and criticized more sharply.)

The 2016 is a premiere model. Historically, I find major changes have some problems that can only be detected after release, and completely remedied only with a refresh that makes some hardware changes. It is worth noting that, while the 2016s do seem to have various quirks, there doesnt seem to be any major single fault in the core design (at least that is currently known.) From an industrial design perspective, the new MBP is ridiculously solid. However, I'm willing to bet the first refresh of the new design addresses any ongoing issues.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
wait, the 2015 trackpad doesn't move at all. You mean the clicking noise is not as loud? perhaps that is making you think it doesn't have any travel. Turn the computer off and press the trackpad and it won't move at all.

More the point. The track pad is not supposed to move on the 2015. The 2015 uses the new Force Touch Trackpad which is a CrownVic points out, does not move. The clicking sensation is created by motors underneath it. Read this article, https://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/12/force-touch-trackpad-click/

There are also a number of settings in the Preference menu where you can change how the trackpad operates.

Reactions: CrownVic

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I think if you have one of the older models and like me are dubious of where apple is going with dongle life... just keep what you have till it breaks. I have just received a 2014 rMBP for a great price. I had a new one at the beginning of 2015 but let it go due to financing other hobbies im also ok with windows but i missed my mac. 16 charge cycles, mint and a great price.

Had a play with the 2016 rMB and the new macbook pro's. Keys are meh and dongle life doesn't appeal. I was waiting around as my wife was getting a 9.7" iPad Pro and... listening in, many questioned the lack of ports. The 2015 rMBP was luxury but the price now... shame apple... There has to be a backtrack. The vision has gone as Tim is just a business man.

Reactions: Sam_S and wolfaaron

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
That was random! How does that relate to the rest of what you said?

Because his predecessor was a visionary. Into minimalist in life and design. Highly spiritual. A bit of what he left behind was thin and light designs and clean minimalist looks. What Tim is doing is following that only lead but putting form over function.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Because his predecessor was a visionary. Into minimalist in life and design. Highly spiritual. A bit of what he left behind was thin and light designs and clean minimalist looks. What Tim is doing is following that only lead but putting form over function.

But how does that relate to anything else you said? It's something people who are upset at Apple for whatever reason say like an incantation, having heard others say it, but without any clear relation to the facts.

And in what way is the MBP putting form over function?

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
But how does that relate to anything else you said? It's something people who are upset at Apple for whatever reason say like an incantation, having heard others say it, but without any clear relation to the facts.

And in what way is the MBP putting form over function?

Poor keys on a rMB may be fair enough as a portable machine but not on a Pro machine just to make it thin. Losing all the ports and a bag of dongles? Pretty sure this is a well known issue? My rMBP is light and functional with lovely keys and ports. The 2016 crop is the issue.

Reactions: Sam_S

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Poor keys on a rMB may be fair enough as a portable machine but not on a Pro machine just to make it thin. Losing all the ports and a bag of dongles? Pretty sure this is a well known issue? My rMBP is light and functional with lovely keys and ports. The 2016 crop is the issue.

I'm guessing that's supposed to be how the MBP puts form over function. But it's really just things you don't like about the machine, that others think are great. The keyboard is loved by many, and the ports are the most powerful and flexible available, much more functional in that respect than the ones on your machine. It's useful to distinguish subjective preferences from objective claims about form over function.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I'm guessing that's supposed to be how the MBP puts form over function. But it's really just things you don't like about the machine, that others think are great. The keyboard is loved by many, and the ports are the most powerful and flexible available, much more functional in that respect than the ones on your machine. It's useful to distinguish subjective preferences from objective claims about form over function.
Fair enough. But the chatter on here, YouTube videos and when I was in store today seem to agree that less is not more.

I may have no choice to buy whatever apple thinks is a good idea but till then, I'll enjoy taking my SD card out of my Nikon DSLR and not buying a dongle plug the SD card into a £1400 machine.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I may have no choice to buy whatever apple thinks is a good idea but till then, I'll enjoy taking my SD card out of my Nikon DSLR and not buying a dongle plug the SD card into a £1400 machine.

I'm happy that Apple removed the SD and HDMI port that I only used once every year or so. I now have a sleeker, lighter, more powerful machine than before :)

Pretty much any projector I've ever connected to has been through VGA. Would I want the VGA monster port back? Christ, no. Rather carry a dongle then.

Reactions: GatorGhost

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I'm happy that Apple removed the SD and HDMI port that I only used once every year or so. I now have a sleeker, lighter, more powerful machine than before :)

Pretty much any projector I've ever connected to has been through VGA. Would I want the VGA monster port back? Christ, no. Rather carry a dongle then.
I'm a hobby photographer so the SD slot is kinda handy. More powerful? Sure but a refresh always is. Don't use VGA can't comment.

In the new Macbook Pro pre release discussions I didn't see anyone pleading for no usual ports. Thin and light like others have managed with ports? Absolutely! Heck even the Surface Pro has them and it's like a tablet. Get me? Don't lead with blind faith. Vote with your wallet.

Reactions: Sam_S

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA

I've had zero hardware problems with my 2016 MacBook Pro. And any software glitches (which I will admit I have encountered) can be fixed with updates. In terms of fit and finish, the current MacBooks are at least as good as, if not superior to, past Apple laptops.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
The sample sizes are small but......

I didn't sample. What I needed was a used MBP with all the outputs, and one that didn't have any recognized issues. I searched the internet for days and found nobody complaining about any systemic issues involving a late 2013 15 inch MBP with only the internal graphics Iris Pro 5200. Many of the others apparently had some issue with the switching between the IG and DG. And so, I would agree that at least in complaints around the internet its is impossible to find a lot of people complaining about the same thing about anything in this model. At a MacBench of single/multiple of 4100/13000, and a graphic bench of 1100 for the Iris Pro, so far its worked great for me. Using it for standard stuff and some iMovie work, it doesn't even get warm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.