2012 15" rMBP wont charge!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bwillwall, Feb 25, 2014.

1. bwillwall macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

It says plugged in, not charging. Same in Windows through bootcamp. It will stay at 12% but will not charge.

I have reset the SMC and PRAM, cleaned the MagSafe on the computer and cord with rubbing alcohol and tried a different charger. Nothing seems to be helping. I really don't want to have to replace anything but I will if it's not risky/too expensive.

Thank you anybody who can help!

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

What condition is the battery in? Has it been holding a decent charge up until now?

Barney

3. bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

Yes It has held a good charge. It says the battery is in normal condition.

[​IMG]

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You said that you get the same response with a different adapter.
    If you have one available, be sure to try YOUR adapter on another MBPro, just to make sure it's still working OK.

So, your rMBPro is getting power (the light on the adapter is green, but never any other color), but not charging - you'll need to take in for service. Could be just the DC-in (Magsafe) port

5. bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

No it is orange. Yes I have tried it in another computer and my adapter works fine. I wonder if it is bad that it is not charging but shows the orange light? Will this hurt my battery?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Ok
    Red-orange (not amber) is an error in the charging circuit (and you already know that!) Often it's a problem with the adapter, but you have eliminated that. And, that leaves something internal, like the magsafe connector. If THAT doesn't fix it, then it's something else, like the logic board or the battery. The numbers that you already showed _probably_ means the battery itself is good.
    So - magsafe port, or logic board.

7. bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

When I said orange I meant amber. Could replacing the DC-in fix it?

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

DC-in or Magsafe board would be interchangeable names for the same part - the internal connector where you attach your Magsafe power adapter.
    So, yes - And, I think it's likely that could fix your problem.
    But, you have to replace it to find out for sure.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Amber means it's charging...

10. bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

Exactly. That's why I was concerned that it was amber when it was not charging.

11. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Hopefully you purchased AppleCare with your rMBP. This machine is the worst to repair so hopefully everything gets covered if you have to repair anything.

12. bwillwall, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

I got it on eBay for a discount and I don't have apple care but if I get another mac I probably will get it because of this sort of thing.

Actually when I looked on iFixit it didn't look that terrible to repair. But then again I fix iPod and iPad screens and all so I would expect a laptop to have somewhat easier parts to deal with.

13. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

No issue getting it on ebay, but Apple Care on laptops is a must. I'd take it to the Genius Bar and get them to diagnose it for you. Then you can get a price from them, and also pursue other repair avenues. Good luck.

14. bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

I'd love to be 20 minutes from an Apple Store but unfortunately it's more like 3 hours. Looking like I'll have to do this repair on my own.

15. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

I had a 2010 MacBook Air have the same non charging issue. I borrowed a power adaptor from a coworker and suddenly, charging!!!

Try testing with a few more power adaptors first.

If you bought a cheap one off eBay, then that could be the cause of the issue.

Good luck!

16. bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

The computer is from eBay not the charger. It's an Apple one. My charger charges other computers and other adapters don't charge mine. I ordered a MagSafe port for it so I'll update once I repair it.

17. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Ok, good luck!

18. bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

Alright guys I'm going in... wish me luck! I'm scared! :eek:

19. rex450se macrumors regular

Take lots of pictures. Your guide may help someone else.

Victor

20. bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

Welp I did take a few pictures but I followed the instructions from iFixit.com. Got the DC-in port replaced and it appears I haven't screwed anything up. However, it has not fixed my original problem. Still won't charge :mad:

21. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Should be either the logic board or battery. I hope its the battery as it is way cheaper then the logic board. You could take it to apple for diagnosis and if its the battery have them change it or else get some guy to repair the logic board, or buy one of ebay or wherever.

22. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Where are you located? Are there no authorized repair centers, even if there is no Apple store? Typically you can at least get the diagnosis free. Trying things to see what might fix it is expensive and not really efficient.

23. bwillwall thread starter macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

Will an authorized repair place diagnose it for free or do I need an actual Apple Store?

Today I opened it up again and just unplugged the battery and plugged it back in. At first when I plugged the computer in and turned it on it said the same thing, then it blinked and said no battery, then it went back to 0%.

Then suddenly a while later I noticed the indicator light turned green, it said 100%. It didn't have near long enough to charge so I knew it wasn't actually charged. I unplugged it and the computer died immediately. So now I have 100% it says and a green LED.. still not charging.. Hmm

24. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

If you are in warranty then the diagnosis is free otherwise theres a charge around $40

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Both places will do it for free if the computer is under warranty. Neither will do it for free if its not, i.e., Apple will charge you as well and since you have a 2012 machine, unless you purchased applecare, you're out of warranty at this stage