Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Both places will do it for free if the computer is under warranty. Neither will do it for free if its not, i.e., Apple will charge you as well and since you have a 2012 machine, unless you purchased applecare, you're out of warranty at this stage

*sigh* alrighty well it appears to be the battery with my most recent findings correct?

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I came across a video on youtube and tried the guys instructions. I tried unplugging the battery, holding the power button, plugging in the magsafe, and then plugging in the battery. Still no luck but I discovered in the process that even with no battery plugged in the MagSafe light shows as amber.

After putting it all back together, I reset the SMC again and nothing. I reset the PRAM again and the light turned green and said 100% as it did a few times before. Next time I unplugged it and plugged it back it it went amber and 0% again. Strangest thing! The only thing it can make it's mind up on is that it will not charge.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, hopefully the issue won't return - good luck.

I'd say it still may be good to have apple check it out, but as noted if it will cost $$ it may make more sense to wait to see if the issue reoccurs

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Well, hopefully the issue won't return - good luck.

I'd say it still may be good to have apple check it out, but as noted if it will cost $$ it may make more sense to wait to see if the issue reoccurs

My issue wasn't solved it just changes from green to amber. Still holds no charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.