Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBA or MBP?

• Macbook Air

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Macbook Pro

Votes: 56 27.1%

• Total voters

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
No question about "want".

MBP seems so heavy and clunky in comparison.

Current MBA is almost powerful enough for what I want - so good chance this impending upgrade will be enough to get me pulling the trigger.

If Apple would release a TB display with a proper GPU built in, that would seal the deal for sure. :)

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I will always opt for more power over a slimmer, sleeker form factor. That is unless the difference is very minimal.

Technobable

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut
Received my 13" Air yesterday. If additional processing power is needed, I have an iMac available.

If I were working with only 1 PC I would have gone with the Pro due to space (memory) constraints.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
Depends.

For 2011 models, the MBP 13" didnt hold any significant advantage over the MBA, thus I went for the MBA 13" because it's lighter.

In 2012, if MBP 13" loses the DVD drive (which I never use) and thus gains some room to pack in enough muscle to differentiate itself from the MBA 13", then I will go for MBP 13".

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
So only Mac Pros for you then...?

Well, I believe currently the iMac is faster than the Mac Pro. But, the OP was questioning between the two: MacBook Pro vs. MacBook Air. In my case, I need portability, so I opt for the Macbook Pro.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
thats funny because another post exactly the same in the MBP section had almost flawless results with the MBP over the MBA. I just thought posting a poll in the MBA section would be different. why do you people even come here?!?! (kidding)

Applefan17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
I would rather have the MBP for it's 15" model. But if it were down to 13" for both, MBA it is!

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Already Done. Sold my 2010 MBP for a 2011 MBA. Haven't looked back. Best laptop I've used in my life. Handles anything I throw at it. When at home, I dock it to a 25" screen and it feels like a desktop.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Went into the Apple store today for some other business, but looked at both Airs and MBPros. Impressed with the "11, had a bit of fun with it. Walked over to the MBPros, started mousing around on the "15. Was thinking this was really nice, then I picked it up...

No comparison, Air every time.

----------

I have to add we have both in our household. The wife loves her MBPro, I will have to ask her if she would ditch it for an Air.

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
The MBA only needs 8GB option for me to choose it over MBP. As long as the MBA has only 4GB, my vote will be for MBP.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
If I was buying right now I would have to go with a Macbook Pro for the larger screen and discreet graphics. However, if they come out with a 15" Macbook Air in the spring with an Ivy Bridge processor I will be on that like a Republican on a tax cut.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
The new MBA are nearly as powerful as the MBP I bought two years ago which has been perfect for my needs, would totally get a MBA if I bought now..!

zanchan

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Was just this week shopping for a new Mac to replace my <gasp> 2006 MacBook, so went into the Apple Store here in Tokyo to test drive all the different models. My only impression of the Air going in was remembering its fairly poor reception when they first debuted, so I was pretty sure I'd be getting a Pro. Went into the store and went right to the pros and assumed the 13 inch was what I'd wind up with. Noticed the Airs and gave one a try, really just out of curiosity, and never looked back. Now my new Air 11 inch should be arriving any moment now, actually...

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
We have both a 2011 MBA and a 2011 MBP in our house and I prefer the MBA. In real world use, they perform on par with each other; sometimes the MBA seems faster to me. When I do use the MBP, I'm like "man, this thing is a big tank" which is silly but it comes to mind!

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Having now used both, I prefer a MBP with an SSD. I find I use my laptop mostly at a desk, table or counter. The Air has its place, but when I'm mobile I usually switch to my iPhone. Like I'm doing now...typing one-handed, because my daughter wants to cuddle while watching the Jungle Book cartoon. Not even an 11" MBA or iPad would let me do that.

Sent from remote...

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Depends.

For 2011 models, the MBP 13" didnt hold any significant advantage over the MBA, thus I went for the MBA 13" because it's lighter.

In 2012, if MBP 13" loses the DVD drive (which I never use) and thus gains some room to pack in enough muscle to differentiate itself from the MBA 13", then I will go for MBP 13".

Why is this guy getting downvoted?

I'm actually thinking the same.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
No question about "want".

MBP seems so heavy and clunky in comparison.

Current MBA is almost powerful enough for what I want - so good chance this impending upgrade will be enough to get me pulling the trigger.

If Apple would release a TB display with a proper GPU built in, that would seal the deal for sure. :)

Many displays have a lot of internal hardware used for internal processing and things like portrait mode at a display level (as in display rotates the image data). Overall what you're suggesting would require additional programming, and we are unlikely to see something like this in the near future.

Well, I believe currently the iMac is faster than the Mac Pro. But, the OP was questioning between the two: MacBook Pro vs. MacBook Air. In my case, I need portability, so I opt for the Macbook Pro.

The 6 and 12 core are still definitely faster. On well threaded cpu intensive software they lead by a fair margin. The Sandy Bridge E design doesn't seem to have much on the older one at comparable clock speeds. It's somewhat faster, but not enough to eclipse the two extra cores if they're put to use. You're also thinking specifically of the top imac, so it's an issue of top imac to bottom mac pro. Apple could have bumped the cpu models up a little with component pricing drops, but they never do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.