2012 how many would buy a mba over mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bdodds1985, Jan 19, 2012.

?

MBA or MBP?

1. Macbook Air

151 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. Macbook Pro

56 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

just curious. how many of you would rather have a macbook air than a macbook pro?

2. damir00 macrumors 6502a

No question about "want".

MBP seems so heavy and clunky in comparison.

Current MBA is almost powerful enough for what I want - so good chance this impending upgrade will be enough to get me pulling the trigger.

If Apple would release a TB display with a proper GPU built in, that would seal the deal for sure. :)

3. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

I will always opt for more power over a slimmer, sleeker form factor. That is unless the difference is very minimal.

4. Technobable macrumors newbie

Received my 13" Air yesterday. If additional processing power is needed, I have an iMac available.

If I were working with only 1 PC I would have gone with the Pro due to space (memory) constraints.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Already bought an MBA over a MBP....we aren't supposed to replace them yearly too now are we?

6. damir00 macrumors 6502a

So only Mac Pros for you then...?

7. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Depends.

For 2011 models, the MBP 13" didnt hold any significant advantage over the MBA, thus I went for the MBA 13" because it's lighter.

In 2012, if MBP 13" loses the DVD drive (which I never use) and thus gains some room to pack in enough muscle to differentiate itself from the MBA 13", then I will go for MBP 13".

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

*Macbook Pro's for me i like my macbook pro and would choose it over the air any day, maybe if it would turn even lighter but form and size wise its fine.

9. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Well, I believe currently the iMac is faster than the Mac Pro. But, the OP was questioning between the two: MacBook Pro vs. MacBook Air. In my case, I need portability, so I opt for the Macbook Pro.

10. bdodds1985 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

thats funny because another post exactly the same in the MBP section had almost flawless results with the MBP over the MBA. I just thought posting a poll in the MBA section would be different. why do you people even come here?!?! (kidding)

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Myself: No.
    My wife: YES.

I'll be upgrading to 1TB hard drive when the price goes down a bit, so MBA is out of the question.

12. Applefan17 macrumors member

I would rather have the MBP for it's 15" model. But if it were down to 13" for both, MBA it is!

13. Slurpy2k8 macrumors 6502

Already Done. Sold my 2010 MBP for a 2011 MBA. Haven't looked back. Best laptop I've used in my life. Handles anything I throw at it. When at home, I dock it to a 25" screen and it feels like a desktop.

14. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Went into the Apple store today for some other business, but looked at both Airs and MBPros. Impressed with the "11, had a bit of fun with it. Walked over to the MBPros, started mousing around on the "15. Was thinking this was really nice, then I picked it up...

No comparison, Air every time.

----------

I have to add we have both in our household. The wife loves her MBPro, I will have to ask her if she would ditch it for an Air.

15. HabSonic macrumors regular

16. corduroygt macrumors regular

The MBA only needs 8GB option for me to choose it over MBP. As long as the MBA has only 4GB, my vote will be for MBP.

17. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

If I was buying right now I would have to go with a Macbook Pro for the larger screen and discreet graphics. However, if they come out with a 15" Macbook Air in the spring with an Ivy Bridge processor I will be on that like a Republican on a tax cut.

18. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

The new MBA are nearly as powerful as the MBP I bought two years ago which has been perfect for my needs, would totally get a MBA if I bought now..!

19. zanchan macrumors newbie

Was just this week shopping for a new Mac to replace my <gasp> 2006 MacBook, so went into the Apple Store here in Tokyo to test drive all the different models. My only impression of the Air going in was remembering its fairly poor reception when they first debuted, so I was pretty sure I'd be getting a Pro. Went into the store and went right to the pros and assumed the 13 inch was what I'd wind up with. Noticed the Airs and gave one a try, really just out of curiosity, and never looked back. Now my new Air 11 inch should be arriving any moment now, actually...

20. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

We have both a 2011 MBA and a 2011 MBP in our house and I prefer the MBA. In real world use, they perform on par with each other; sometimes the MBA seems faster to me. When I do use the MBP, I'm like "man, this thing is a big tank" which is silly but it comes to mind!

21. Risasi macrumors 6502

Having now used both, I prefer a MBP with an SSD. I find I use my laptop mostly at a desk, table or counter. The Air has its place, but when I'm mobile I usually switch to my iPhone. Like I'm doing now...typing one-handed, because my daughter wants to cuddle while watching the Jungle Book cartoon. Not even an 11" MBA or iPad would let me do that.

Sent from remote...

22. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Why is this guy getting downvoted?

I'm actually thinking the same.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Many displays have a lot of internal hardware used for internal processing and things like portrait mode at a display level (as in display rotates the image data). Overall what you're suggesting would require additional programming, and we are unlikely to see something like this in the near future.

The 6 and 12 core are still definitely faster. On well threaded cpu intensive software they lead by a fair margin. The Sandy Bridge E design doesn't seem to have much on the older one at comparable clock speeds. It's somewhat faster, but not enough to eclipse the two extra cores if they're put to use. You're also thinking specifically of the top imac, so it's an issue of top imac to bottom mac pro. Apple could have bumped the cpu models up a little with component pricing drops, but they never do this.

24. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I've seen a couple people ask for it now, and it seems to be technically feasible, so why not? One can hope... :rolleyes: